Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious what exactly , and specifically should I take / Make as a tool bag , to keep in the bike at all times? your input is invaluable!

As a former Indian rider , trust me I took whatever I could pack , I also have a bag of nuts and bolts and junk that i always take, do I need to take all this shit anymore! I feel a whole lot more confident that I wont be on the side of the road anymore, but you never know , So I want a break down from you guys that are "REAL MECHANICS" , hence; the real, im not a real mechanic , i can GET on the road by doing what i need to do to get home ! With that said , please make a list of what you guys think are a necessity!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Duct tape. Couple of 6 in one screwdrivers, esp torx, pliers, adj wrench, flashlight, electric tape.
Leatherman tool.
If you need more than that you're gonna need parts anyway.

Oh, and I'm not a "real" mechanic. I just play one in my garage!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I bought a tool bag but you can duplicate what's in them and make your own. Zip ties and wire are included and have come in handy. I've added a few things over the years. This bag stays on the bike and doesn't take up a lot of room. Tool Kits for Harley-Davidsons - CruzTOOLS

I'd also put a tire plug kit in the bag.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO809OwRlZQ.wAiKJx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTE0bjZkdG9iBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUkyRkJUM18xBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1494888910/RO=10/RU=https://www.stopngo.com//RK=0/RS=O1ltycYzAlnxmlXeYOiU.znurro-

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
I went with Windzone, reasonably priced and has just about everything you need for almost any roadside emergency, it also doesn't hurt to have an XP1 micro booster and Stop & Go tire repair kit.

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
Cell Phone & HOG Card..........and that takes me to the limit of my expertise.
Lol, that's funny, but in my experience I've found the AAA plus motorcycle to be more beneficial, I guess it depends on the location.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Lol, that's funny, but in my experience I've found the AAA plus motorcycle to be more beneficial, I guess it depends on the location.
I've had a couple really bad experiences with the HOG tow service as well. The 1st time I was waiting for over 2 hrs. before calling AAA. AAA Plus (RV & MC) has been the 1st choice since.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I 'm another one that has a Harley H3 tool kit from Cruz tools. Tool Kits for Harley-Davidsons - CruzTOOLS
I keep it in a set of Innovative Storage Saddlebag Pouches. Innovative Storage Solutions
Those Storage Pouches hold a lot of tools and other things.
I also carry extra nuts and bolts, wire ties, a Tire Plug kit, a small Air Compressor and a small Battery Jumper Pack.
Mike U.

·
Registered
685 Posts
In the saddlebag now is:
Two sets of (Craftsman) wrenches
set of Allen wrenches
multibit screwdriver.
#3 Philips and large std screwdrivers.
needle nose (and regular) pliers
...and some other shit I don't recall at the moment.

It's all wrapped up in a towel ... And hasn't really ever been needed ... except for the odd occasion that I did need the towel...

A Towel is actually the most super handy thing one can have with them while traveling. Never leave home without a towel.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Sh*t you can carry but may never need!!

Snap

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
Sh*t you can carry but may never need!!

+1 Innovative Solutions tool bags
+1 of Cruz Tool kit, include a good folding knife in that kit as well
+1 on assortment of sizes of black zipties
small first aid kit
Slime 12 volt compressor
Tire Plug kit
Tire pressure gauge
On my pre-Rushmore bike I carried extra windshield well nuts/screws(Gazso19), spare seat screw, seat bolt and c-clip, spare light bulb for signals and spare headlight bulb(Me), 3' length of small gauge wire, useful for replacing the seat screw nut without having to remove the rear wheel(Me), this all fit in a zip lock bag

For longer trips thru barren areas I carry a 1 gallon gas can and 1 quart of 20W50 oil.

Most of this carried in the left saddlebag because it isn't required all that often. Save the right saddlebag for my sandals, assortment of gloves, buffs, chaps and rest of tools that won't fit in the innovative solutions storage bags on the left saddlebag.

Things I've learned along the way. Carry a small piece of tinfoil, say 1ft², this can be used to temporarily restore the splines on your shifter shaft, carry a spare bolt for this connection as well (Garvin90). Carry a spare saddlebag Dzus bolt or a spare bolt/nylock nut that can be used to replace a lost saddlebag bolt (JRBean). Carry a small piece of 2"x 4" x 4" long piece of wood, helpful to put the kickstand on when you have to work on the left side of the bike and for photo ops(Zman). Carry a spare set of 72" boot laces, they can come in handy(Me).

Never trust a guy that stows his helmet under a "cargo net" on top of the tourpak, the helmet will find it's way out from under that net after a few big bumps and try to take you out bouncing toward you on the highway(Jack).

Even if the bike never really went "all the way" over, if you need help getting it back up, that counts for a Shark Tooth necklace award at Shark Week!

"I'm not a real mechanic but I play one on TV"

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I saw this list of tools on another thread:

Fuses
Loctite
Electrical Tape
Teflon Tape
Zip Ties
Tire Gauge
Wellnuts
Reg. Flat Blade Screw Driver
# 2 Phillips Screw Driver
Magnetic Screwdriver with Misc. Torx, Flat & Phillips Bits
Pliers - Needle Nose - Side Cutters - Slip Jaw
Wire Strippers/Crimper
Small Vise Grip Pliers
1/4" Nut Driver
1/4" - 3/8" & 3/8" - 1/4" Adaptors
Short 3/8" Ratchet
12" Breaker Bar - 3/8"
5/8" Shallow Socket (Dain plugs)
Plug Socket
3/8" Drive Extensions 2" & 6"
3/8" Drive Short 1/4" and 6 MM Sockets (12 Point)
Allen Sockets - 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 5MM, 7/32", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" (some 1/4" Drive & 3/8" Drive)
Torx Sockets - T20, T25, T27, T40, T45 ( some 1/4" Drive & 3/8" Drive)
Wrenches - 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 10MM, 12MM, 13MM
Medium Size Adjustable Wrench
Allen Wrench Set
Mini Flash Light
Flat Repair Kit

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is awesome, some of you guys must of had Indians to carry all that shit , trust me ive carried tons of STUFF!! Love it though !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
'whatever tools and parts you have for repairs makes those repairs the least likely'...or in other words...'the things you prepare for are the least likely to happen'....I believe I was told that quote..or similar...was credited to Carroll Shelby....there's a gentleman who's turned a few wrenches....;-)>

·
Registered
623 Posts
The innovative solutions bags really do hold a lot more stuff than it would appear they do. I bought a used set on fleabay cheap.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Most important is a AAA card with MC coverage, Credit Card, and a cell phone.

If you have the Harley "tool", get it out of your bags as it is just extra, worthless weight.

What I carry. I am no professional mechanic, but have some experience with on-road breakdowns.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy their 12" cloth tool bag.

Buy from wherever you want, and put in it:

Flashlight
1/4" drive ratchet wrench
Leatherman tool
1/4' drive Torx set making sure there is a #27 in there.
1/4" drive extensions
1/4" drive SAE allen sockets, very hard to find in stores, can be found online.
1/4" drive SAE sockets, optional.
Small set of SAE open end wrenches, optional.
Small adjustable wrench
A set of long SAE allen wrenches with ball ends
Screwdriver with interchangeable bits
3-4' of mechanics wire
Several zip ties
Duct tape
Small jumper cables

Go to Cycle Gear and get their small box of SAE replacement fasteners and throw in your tool bag. Get their small plug kit and a baby 12v air compressor.
Consider buying a small lithium jump box.

In my years of riding, the flashlight, plug kit, air compressor, and the jumper cables (replaced by a lithium jump box) have been used the most.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm a HOG member but luckily haven't had to use their tow service. Reading on here maybe AAA is the way to go? Anybody else have thoughts on the two, which is better?

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
I'm a HOG member but luckily haven't had to use their tow service. Reading on here maybe AAA is the way to go? Anybody else have thoughts on the two, which is better?
The reason I mentioned AAA is because I'm a HOG member, just read through the benefits of both, and I've also been through the experience, with HOG you are more than likely going to be coming out of your pocket with $$$$ with AAA the only cash you'll have to worry about is tipping the driver if you desire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts