Road Glide banner

Do you have to have a matching set of wheels.

• Yes, even if I can't see it. I know it's there.

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Nope, can't see it anyway.

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Nope. Don't care if ya see it. It's my bike.

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me I have to have the same front and back. Had a discussion with 2 guys that disagreed. Said you can't see it anyway. The one guy has a chrome front stock rear on a rgs stock bags. You can see the back rim. You can see it parked on mine with bag extenders. Now I'm not judging them. I'm all about it's your bike do what you want. I'm just fishing for opinions.*

·
Registered
184 Posts
Tuff call for me. The extra $1,500 dollars for only a partial view. My thought is new front, I like chrome and do a chrome exchange for the back, so both are chromed the same. I have not pulled the trigger yet for this exact reason. When I look at what I want, with install and new rubber $4,000. Then I will need new rotors, belt drive, etc ...

Update 4/9/2018. I was at bike week and found a 21” I liked and went ahead and upgraded the back from a 16 to an 18”. Very happy with them. I had a plan to do them differently, but when you see them in person. Turns out it is only money, even though you can barely see the back. With their show deal it was not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Do both. I did the 21” front first to see how it would look, even with my extended bags you could see the stock rim. I added the 17” rear when I was due for a tire change right before SW last year.

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you do something, better you do it well, avoiding odd jobs. So, yes, definetly if I changed the fron wheel, I would definetly change te rear one too, and yes, I would wait to change tires though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my pop's always tells me, anything worth doing is worth doing right. Turns out he is a pretty smart man, took me years to realize but its true. Don't tell him I said that....

I could not deal with the wheels being mis-matched, even if I never saw the rear....... thats just me though

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
When I changed my wheels I had to do both because I know it's there.
I'm in the process of changing them again and I will do both this time too.
Mike U.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I say as long as the front and back are the same finish then you’re fine. I just won a black 21” smt wheel last week. Im not able to buy a front right now so I’m damn sure not able to buy a matching rear. Luckily i have a stock wheel off of my old 2012 that’s been powdered sitting in my garage that I’m going to throw on my 17 for the time being. At least they’ll be the same color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Depends on your cash flow. 2 better than 1 ,but it's the front one you see.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I was going to leave my stock 16” until I found a black 18” for a solid price.

Still haven’t put it on because I just put a brand new tire in the 16”.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They have to at least be the same finish for me. I put a 21" chrome wheel on my SG and just had the stock rear chromed to save some money. My OCD could handle that but I really think it looks so much better when they both match. I'm about to pull the trigger on some wheels and they will match because I hate cleaning the stock wheels. Too many spokes and groves. I want a simpler design. Leaning hard on the Black Ice Aggressor wheels to match my pipes. Just don't know if I want to go with an older design on a new bike.

·
Registered
927 Posts
IMO custom wheels why bother. But if you are they should at least be the same finish on a bagger, but on other bikes where you can see the rear wheel they should match.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They have to at least be the same finish for me. I put a 21" chrome wheel on my SG and just had the stock rear chromed to save some money. My OCD could handle that but I really think it looks so much better when they both match. I'm about to pull the trigger on some wheels and they will match because I hate cleaning the stock wheels. Too many spokes and groves. I want a simpler design. Leaning hard on the Black Ice Aggressor wheels to match my pipes. Just don't know if I want to go with an older design on a new bike.
I think the aggressor and agitators are the best looking wheels out of everything. And they're a lot cheaper then the custom wheel market has to offer. Get the black ice agressors.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I only did the front.It has a black finish( with black fat spokes). I took 18's off,put the 21 on front & a stock 16" wheel on back. I plasti-dipped the rear black 2 years ago & it's still good to go. Didn't see the needed expense in a custom rear with bag extensions. Chrome wheels probably would've been a different story though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same opinion from others - Cant see the back on so why do it- Well, I happened to have both front and back Performance Machine rims from my Vrod that I was able to convert to fit the shark. One call to performance machine set me up with new hubs.
Got the front hub first so I installed just that rim and tire...
Factory rear rim with the front custom rim did not look right at all... even though you cant see much of the rear rim, you can still see it...
Once the rear hub arrived, I swapped out the rear too so both front and back match and you can tell if you look that both rims match now.
I definitely prefer matching front and back but as others have said..its a personal choice.
If you like the look of your ride..f&#k the others who don't!!

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
For me, it would depend on my "to-do" list and if I could afford it. If I could only do one, I'd opt for the front and do the rest of the items on my list and circle back around to the rear when I had the time and money- however, they would eventually HAVE to be the same bc of my OCD.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts