Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone cut a windshield? I got a 12” and a 16” from the guy when I bought my bike I need a 14” windsheild!! I’ve heard a band saw will cut plexiglass better then a jig saw, any other ideas??

·
Registered
889 Posts
I cut my 12" LRS shield down to 10" using painters tape on both sides and a jig saw with a fine tooth blade. After i cut it, i sanded it down with different sand papers to get it smooth as possible. Then i took a rag and using one finger in the rag soaked up some acetone and rubbed it on the edge of the windshield. The acetone will finish off the edge with a factory smooth look. Just make sure to just get the acetone on the edge and no where else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've done a 16" down to a 14" . A Dremel was my weapon of choice, which direction you cut in matters. Go in the direction that kicks the material out . Going the other way will almost plastic weld it back together and makes it harder to clean-up the finished edge. I did my corner profiles off of my cut-off piece and used a couple different sandpaper grits to get a sweet finished edge. And definitely cover the whole thing with tape.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I've cut a lot of plexy and lexan over the years. Always used a jig saw. You need one with variable speed, and use a medium coarse blade. As said above, tape it up if the barrier film is already removed. Then lay out your cut line on the tape. When you start cutting, you need to keep the plastic from bouncing, some medium density poly works well for that. If you go too fast or use too fine of a blade, the plastic will melt and try to stick to the blade, causing it to bounce with the saw strokes.

You can also just cut close to the line and do the finish work with a sander. Even when just in flat sheets, that plastic is too expensive to mis-cut.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Heat is your enemy when doing this. Slow and patience is the key.

If it is a recurve shield, you will lose the recurve. The solution is to cut the bottom instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts