Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my Kappa's kicked the bucket on my ride back from Fl last weekend.

Was running the 62.ix @2.5 ohms and they sound great.

Has anyone ran this amp with 4ohm speakers. Only running fairing speakers, and thinking of trying something different.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or maybe some JBL GX602, real cheap in case another one bites the dust and 150 watt rms

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well messed around with it some more and found if I loosen the negative terminal on this speaker 1/4 turn it plays just fine, as I go to tighten fully volume goes down and finally off when fully tightened down. So for now I will leave it 1/4 backed out and try to look for a different seat of fairing speakers.

Have already trimmed speaker wire back thinking maybe it was crimped and same issue, swapped speakers to opposite sides and swapped RCA around and that did not help. Maybe the plating on the bottom of the terminal has peeled off or something cannot tell from just looking into terminal hole.

Will be doing some more research to see what pair to order, would order another pair of Infinity's but these aren't even 6 months old yet and already having this issue....rather try something else.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The B54 is fine with 4 ohm speakers. For a 2 speaker setup I’d bridge it. IMHO it’s underpowered in 4 channel mode, only around 90 W or so if I’m remembering correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
The B54 is fine with 4 ohm speakers. For a 2 speaker setup I’d bridge it. IMHO it’s underpowered in 4 channel mode, only around 90 W or so if I’m remembering correctly.

In 4 channel mode, the B54 is rated at 150w per channel at 2 ohms and 75w at 4 ohms, definitely makes sense to bridge it if you’re running two 4 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would be 300x2, so I would still be running 150 per speaker?

Also I am guessing use both rca on amp but can I still use just the one Biketronics line leveler? Just use one RCA from ea Chanel, either Left or Right.

2018 FLTRX
Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
In bridged mode there is 300W available to each speaker.

Yes, you can split the signal and use one line leveler.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Polk MM652 Marine speakers in my bike. I’m using the CVB52 and a line leveler and they sound clear as a bell at 80mph at 3/4 volume. I could crank it higher if needed and not get distorted. Cost effective and quality sound.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Justin,

If you're going to run a pair 4 ohm speakers I highly recommend bridging the B54. You won't be happy with the volume level of the 4 ohm speakers if you don't.

A recommendation before you go spending money though.............

I know you said that you stripped the speaker wires again and tried it with the same results. If you didn't tin the bare wires with solder I'd try that first. Strip the wires leaving about 1/2" bare wire. Tin all leads. Then reconnect the speakers and test.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Justin,

If you're going to run a pair 4 ohm speakers I highly recommend bridging the B54. You won't be happy with the volume level of the 4 ohm speakers if you don't.

A recommendation before you go spending money though.............

I know you said that you stripped the speaker wires again and tried it with the same results. If you didn't tin the bare wires with solder I'd try that first. Strip the wires leaving about 1/2" bare wire. Tin all leads. Then reconnect the speakers and test.
Found the issue, tried soldering the wires but this post keep vibrating down as I ride causing the speaker to quit playing. Can pull it up and it plays but after riding awhile and hitting bumps it vibrates back down and the speaker goes off again.

Well looks like I swapped the speakers around the last time I pulled them, the one with no issue had its wires soldered. Pulled the speakers today after riding and the one side cutting out again, cut the wires and soldered all the wires for each speaker. Will see how it does on my next ride, if it still starts cutting out will be looking for something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Tinning the wires will help reduce the compression (squeezing) of the individual wire strands when you clamp down on them and increase the overall diameter. Since you are going to scrap the speakers if this doesn't work, you might consider using some blue loctite to hold the set screws in place once you have them tightened back down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts