Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why do you ask?:)
Scott
Because I am putting cams in my 12 RGC and am concerned about lift and longevity. If HD is installing .555 lift cams (SE 255) then I would think that much lift would be safe for the long haul. People are quick to say this cam or that cam makes this much HP, but will it live. I don't want to be checking or changing my lifters every year. I would rather just leave a little lift on the table... Having said all that, I will probably go with the andrews 57H and hope it's not to much.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Andrews 57 is a great cam. I used TMan 555TQ cams and they made awesome power. Andrews 48's or Woods 222's are also great choices for a stock 103. I have the CVO255 cams in my wife's softail, but had to work the timing map a little bit. I think that they can work well in a 103 bagger if the tune is right, but they are a little better suited to a 96" with slightly lower compression.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Because I am putting cams in my 12 RGC and am concerned about lift and longevity. If HD is installing .555 lift cams (SE 255) then I would think that much lift would be safe for the long haul. People are quick to say this cam or that cam makes this much HP, but will it live. I don't want to be checking or changing my lifters every year. I would rather just leave a little lift on the table... Having said all that, I will probably go with the andrews 57H and hope it's not to much.
It's not the lift that raises hell with the lifter, but rather spring pressure and cam lobe profile.
The HD "C" lifters in that 2012 bike are manufactured in Mexico, and have been known to have issues.
If wanting to sleep soundly, then install a set of S&S Premium lifters at the point on the cam install.
We've used that 57 quite a few times now, and have found that 9.8-10.0 cr is where it wants it.:)
Scott

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not the lift that raises hell with the lifter, but rather spring pressure and cam lobe profile.
The HD "C" lifters in that 2012 bike are manufactured in Mexico, and have been known to have issues.
If wanting to sleep soundly, then install a set of S&S Premium lifters at the point on the cam install.
We've used that 57 quite a few times now, and have found that 9.8-10.0 cr is where it wants it.:)
Scott
Which pushrod?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Not 100%, but I believe that I've read that the standard S&S lifters aren't entirely built in the USA. THe premiums are. I believe that they are built to tighter tolerances as well.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Is there a reason why the standard S&S lifter won't work? The premiums are twice the cost. What justifies the added expense?
The OP is concerned about quality/longivity from what I read into it, thus the reason for the Premium advice.
The additional costs come from what we suspect to be tighter tolerance manufacturing, by you may want to contact S&S Cycle, Viola, Wis. to find their answer if so inclined.
The S&S Standard lifters are in made in the USA as we have been told by S&S.:)
Scott

·
Registered
325 Posts
The OP is concerned about quality/longivity from what I read into it, thus the reason for the Premium advice.
The additional costs come from what we suspect to be tighter tolerance manufacturing, by you may want to contact S&S Cycle, Viola, Wis. to find their answer if so inclined.
The S&S Standard lifters are in made in the USA as we have been told by S&S.:)
Scott
I agree, Nothing wrong with any of the S&S offerings, Scott is an S&S dealer and will give you excellent pricing and support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts