Road Glide banner

Cvo ignition switch

17K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  skratch 
#1 ·
I seen somewhere, where someone removed the key ignition switch and set it up like a cvo with using only the start/stop button. Has anyone else seen or done this? Just curious how it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I was trying to find info on how to do this and did not find anything by looking around. I found a guy on Facebook that told me he removed the switch and the dealer flashed his bike to work as you describe. I was at the dealer today and asked service about it. At first the guy said it did not work like that and that I would need a new BCM. Then he came and found me later and told me that was not true, but I would need the CVO fork lock. I told him I had spoke to another guy that had it flashed at the dealer with no fork lock. He told me he would try it.

He took my bike in the back and was able to change it in the software within 5 minutes. The switch is still on the bike and plugged in right now, but does not function. You flip the run switch on and start the bike just like a cvo. I plan to remove the fork lock and key switch in a week or two when my new bars arrive.

So, in short, to answer your question, yes the dealer can change the settings to not use the keyed ignition switch.

#3 ·
i'm curious as to what cvo you speak of that starts differently? my cvo starts just like any other, turn ignition to on, flip run switch, then press start switch.

i didn't know there was any other way....

#5 ·
interesting. until the gunship grey rg came out this year, i haven't felt the need to really look at any of the cvo models. and while i like the road glide cvo this year, my bike is 2 payments away from being paid off, so going to resist the temptation to look at them as well. :D

#9 ·
i did the cvo flash on my bike (not the cvo i spoke of earlier in the thread, that bike got totaled. i have a 2019 special now). i did not remove the ignition switch, it still functions perfectly fine as a fork lock. only now, i don't have to turn the knob unless i want to lock the forks, otherwise, it may as well be a 'dummy' switch.

#10 ·
As far as touring bikes (with security) this can be done on 2017 and newer. I changed the BCM in my 2016 RGU to the new replacement one to add TPMS to that bike, one of the side benefits was the ability to basically kill the ignition switch, at that time in mid 2021 it was 41000341F. Since 2017 all the touring bikes with security (CVOs included) have came with the same BCM (41000341C), and for 2014 thru 2016 models their replacement BCM is that same part... about every year it gets a new revision letter, I think last time I looked it was 41000341G.

I never lock my forks, so I was going to take the ignition switch out all together, but I was never able to find something that I likes to cover the hole... I have seen some guys that found a medallion that they liked and were able to cover it and it looked fine. Like normal, its usually harder to find a dealer thats will mess with it because they just aren't familiar with it, so they say it can't be done... it can. I haven't done it yet to my 2023, but I probably will if I can find something to cover the hole, because I'll just take the switch out all together.

#11 ·
As far as touring bikes (with security) this can be done on 2017 and newer. I changed the BCM in my 2016 RGU to the new replacement one to add TPMS to that bike, one of the side benefits was the ability to basically kill the ignition switch, at that time in mid 2021 it was 41000341F. Since 2017 all the touring bikes with security (CVOs included) have came with the same BCM (41000341C), and for 2014 thru 2016 models their replacement BCM is that same part... about every year it gets a new revision letter, I think last time I looked it was 41000341G. I never lock my forks, so I was going to take the ignition switch out all together, but I was never able to find something that I likes to cover the hole... I have seen some guys that found a medallion that they liked and were able to cover it and it looked fine. Like normal, its usually harder to find a dealer thats will mess with it because they just aren't familiar with it, so they say it can't be done... it can. I haven't done it yet to my 2023, but I probably will if I can find something to cover the hole, because I'll just take the switch out all together.
2014 and newer. Just had mine done and that's what I was told.

#15 ·
to go into accessory mode, you press and hold the odometer trigger switch for a second. it'll kick into acc. and you can release it. if you don't release it fast enough, you'll reset your odometer though so pay attention.

Reactions: Lhammons
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.