Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 road glide special, getting ready to put on some HD stock headers that have the cat removed(I already have installed a FP3 tuner). I have read a couple places that the CVO mufflers are a little bit more restrictive, does anybody know if that is the case. I am considering putting on a set of those to keep the sound closer to stock after putting on the headers.

Also, any suggestions on the best CVO year that I should look for.

Thuanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi there FLTRXS15; now where to begin. You have to keep mind that MoCo put in a lot of R&D in to make an exhaust system that works spotless for the big cube CVO-engines. If my memory serves me correct your model has the 103ci mill whereas the Rushmore-CVOs are in the 110-114ci range (the 2018 CVO with a 117ci engine!).

If you really want the CVO-mufflers you should replace the core with an aftermarket like FULLSAC (since you reside in FL that shouldn't be a problem). They offer three power-cores 1.75" (quiet but still powerful low end torque), 2.0" (mid rumble) and the 2.25" (biggest and baddest...). While at it get a SE Heavy Breather or High Flow Air cleaner kit!

I personally prefer quiet so I can enjoy the music from my speakers and cruise for miles without suffering a head ache! :)

Reactions: Vinnie

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there FLTRXS15; now where to begin. You have to keep mind that MoCo put in a lot of R&D in to make an exhaust system that works spotless for the big cube CVO-engines. If my memory serves me correct your model has the 103ci mill whereas the Rushmore-CVOs are in the 110-114ci range (the 2018 CVO with a 117ci engine!).

If you really want the CVO-mufflers you should replace the core with an aftermarket like FULLSAC (since you reside in FL that shouldn't be a problem). They offer three power-cores 1.75" (quiet but still powerful low end torque), 2.0" (mid rumble) and the 2.25" (biggest and baddest...). While at it get a SE Heavy Breather or High Flow Air cleaner kit!

I personally prefer quiet so I can enjoy the music from my speakers and cruise for miles without suffering a head ache! :)
Thanks for the input, after doing a little bit more research probably hold off after I install that new header pipes just see what it sounds like.

Reactions: VikingRider

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have a 2015 road glide special, getting ready to put on some HD stock headers that have the cat removed(I already have installed a FP3 tuner). I have read a couple places that the CVO mufflers are a little bit more restrictive, does anybody know if that is the case. I am considering putting on a set of those to keep the sound closer to stock after putting on the headers.

Also, any suggestions on the best CVO year that I should look for.

Thuanks
I had the stock header on my 16 with stock CVO cans. Sound was great, fairly quiet. In a quest to reduce heat changed header to a fuel moto stainless coated, no cat; Sound went way way up and tone was really different, not to my liking. Changed out and installed CVO cans with 1.75 fullsac and they are still loud, to me, but tone is great and performance is great......taking that cat out really changes things up...as ^ said, those CVO cans are designed for the 110, not 103, so they aren't super restrictive..the 16 CVO cans look great. I believe most of the difference is in the end caps...good luck!!!

Reactions: VikingRider

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Oh, I do have a set of the stock CVO cans if you need em...lol

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
I rock the CVO Cans with the Fulsac 2.25 w/Blankets and Sleeves on my '17 107 wth the CAT still intact and am VERY Happy with the sound - Quiet on start up and idle and juuuuuuust enough bark when I get on the beans

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
FLTRXS15 I have a set of CVO mufflers if you want to here what they sound like
Send a PM if interested

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I run stock CVO mufflers with a Fullsac DX header. Nice sound, very quiet, enough power.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All, thanks for the replies. I should have the headers with the cats out one day next week is my friend doing them. After I get them installed and see what it sounds like and do a tune with my FP3 I'll make the decision how I want to go. All the information given by other posts here have been very helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
The best sound I've heard so far has been decatted stock head pipe with American Custom bomber slip ons with their signature end caps. My buddy has this setup on his 14 StreetGlide and they sound awesome.
I have a 15RGS with rush power duals and 4inch Rinehart slipons, and I envy his sound. For $199 you can get their pipes which are stock Harley pipes with their customization. If you send in your pipes as a core you get back $75 making their pipes $125. The signature end caps are $148 for the pair. They look great they sound amazing.

American Custom Exhaust Systems

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best sound I've heard so far has been decatted stock head pipe with American Custom bomber slip ons with their signature end caps. My buddy has this setup on his 14 StreetGlide and they sound awesome.
I have a 15RGS with rush power duals and 4inch Rinehart slipons, and I envy his sound. For $199 you can get their pipes which are stock Harley pipes with their customization. If you send in your pipes as a core you get back $75 making their pipes $125. The signature end caps are $148 for the pair. They look great they sound amazing.

American Custom Exhaust Systems
Thanks for the info, I checked out their website looks pretty interesting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Stock Mufflers "bored out"

All, thanks for the replies. I should have the headers with the cats out one day next week is my friend doing them. After I get them installed and see what it sounds like and do a tune with my FP3 I'll make the decision how I want to go. All the information given by other posts here have been very helpful.

Thanks
FLTRXS15, hey there I have a 2013 RGU, had my "cat" removed (for heat) and then drilled out the stock mufflers, best sound (to me) of the three different mufflers I tried. The stock unchanged, Screaming Eagle II's, and the CVO 110 mufflers. My stock ones with the inside cap drilled out work best for me, and it dyno'd well. See my Dyno sheet in the dyno section. Good luck, CSM-H

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't waste your money on SVT. I bought a set in August 2018, the baffle broke loose on one within 3000 miles. Since the first failure, I have gone through 10 individual replacements because the baffles broke free in each in under 8000 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts