Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a CVO seat 52000283 and the passenger pillion 52400152 for my 2018 road glide special FLTRXS. The installation was pretty simple, but now there is a about a 1/2 inch gap between the top of the rider seat and the console. I love the seat, very comfy, but the gap is a little bit a bummer after spending $800. I think the seat was designed for a 2017 street glide, so I guess I have nobody to blame for myself for trying this. Maybe there is a fix that someone came up with?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Mass!

I am sure someone will jump in with some info.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I purchased a CVO seat 52000283 and the passenger pillion 52400152 for my 2018 road glide special FLTRXS. The installation was pretty simple, but now there is a about a 1/2 inch gap between the top of the rider seat and the console. I love the seat, very comfy, but the gap is a little bit a bummer after spending $800. I think the seat was designed for a 2017 street glide, so I guess I have nobody to blame for myself for trying this. Maybe there is a fix that someone came up with?
Only thing I have to say is that the street glide and roadglide are the same bike except for the fairing so if it sits like that on your shark it will sit like that on a bat. Same tank, same seat, same console etc. so quit beating yourself up.
And welcome to the shark club.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unless the dashboard is different something is off with your new seat, I have the same seat on my 17 Ultra and it also fit a 16 special, I’m sure because I bought it for the special and when the M-8 came out I had to have one...
Let me know how to post pictures and I’ll put some up with no gap.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry I cannot help on the seat.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Only thing I have to say is that the street glide and roadglide are the same bike except for the fairing so if it sits like that on your shark it will sit like that on a bat. Same tank, same seat, same console etc. so quit beating yourself up.
And welcome to the shark club.
what he said. the days are gone when different bikes had different length consoles and required seats with longer/shorter noses on them.

i would loosen the rear bolts holding the seat down, and see if you can push the seat forward any. you might have to wiggle it from side to side, but you may be able to get it forward some.

if worse comes to worse, you could always cut a small piece of leather, about as wide as your console. loosen up the console mounts, and slide it up under there.

you could also test fit it on your friend's bike. see how it fits someone elses.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm OCD like that myself!

Welcome to the tank from north Florida!

Reactions: duglauraflht

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the same issue, bought the seats not knowing there would be a gap. the console on the CVO IS longer (verified on a 2017 cvo).. I think you can redrill the holes in the plastic to move the seat forward. I just havent done it yet.

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the same seat on my 17 special. My son tried it out on his 18 and there was no gap on either. Something is off somewhere. Are you pushing it up all the way? Maybe a defect with the seat? Good Luck ...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Forget about the nose of the seat for a moment and look where the sides of the seat are stopping. In the picture is appears that the sides of the seat aren't anywhere near touching the tank.

When the seat is properly installed, the sides of the seat should gently kiss the back of the fuel tank and the nose of the seat will slightly overlap the console or rest right up against the back side of the console.

There is either something wrong with the seat itself, or the seat wasn't properly installed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Forget about the nose of the seat for a moment and look where the sides of the seat are stopping. In the picture is appears that the sides of the seat aren't anywhere near touching the tank.

When the seat is properly installed, the sides of the seat should gently kiss the back of the fuel tank and the nose of the seat will slightly overlap the console or rest right up against the back side of the console.

There is either something wrong with the seat itself, or the seat wasn't properly installed.
I agree with wesspot, my CVO seat fits prefectly. Just did a 5 day trip and was so super pleased with it vs stock and our Sundowner seat. Took a pick for you, you really have to push hard to get it in place.

RGC

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That worked!! I went ahead and drilled new holes and used a Dremel to elongate the holes to make it look factory (sort of). For anyone else researching this, here is the detailed info: The bolts sort of come out on an outward angle, so straight drilled holes do not work. Elongated holes work well, so I used a dremel to do this. I used some white out on the top of the bolts and then marked where the new holes needed to be. Be careful when drilling the holes to not poke a hole in your seat, you kind of have to squish down the material so that it is out of the way. The new holes will be very close to edge of the plastic, but there was probably a good 3/8" of material left when I was done. The thumb screws do a nice job of covering everything up and catching some meat on the plastic mounting bracket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 CVO Seat Gap

Anyway you can post a pic of your seat with the new holes? Bought the 2019 CVO seat from my 2018 Street Glide and I have the same issue. Had the 2017 CVO seat before and it fit perfectly. Love the new red stitching, so don't really want to return it unless I have to.

V/R

James Fuller

1 - 20 of 21 Posts