Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty then! I have finshed my big winter mod. I put on the vented lowers and put the CVO speakers in them. The speakers are 6.5's. Now I do relaize that there are better speakers out there, but I chose these speakers for a reason. One reason is...what the hey, why not. The larger reason was the style plug in for the speakers....seem to be pretty water sealed. That is important for me, because I do get wet while riding, and didn't want any issues. As for the speakers themselves, I have this review....They sound sweet. I have a Bazooka 4 channel 200w RMS amp pushing 5.25's upstairs, the Hogtunes Tweeter Pod, and now the 6.5's in the lowers. I did a road test down the Interstate at 90+ and only needed half volume to clearly hear an acoustic song on the iPod. So without further waiting.....here are the pics:

speaker plug:

plug in speaker:

Speaker in lower:

lower fairing:

Special thanks to Chainsaw for his info on the John Deere Blitz black. The fairing lowers and the speakers boxes were painted with a rattlecan!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Looks cool man!! Great job, and I bet it sounds kick ass.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks great. Thats one of the mods I'm thinking of for next winter....this winter I am done just riding now lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aren't the Harley speakers marked as being 1 ohm speakers? Is that amp stable at 1 ohm or will you risk burning it up?

Just asking because I have been reading every thread on every forum about the speakers in the lowers and I think I am more confused than ever!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Aren't the Harley speakers marked as being 1 ohm speakers? Is that amp stable at 1 ohm or will you risk burning it up?

Just asking because I have been reading every thread on every forum about the speakers in the lowers and I think I am more confused than ever!
The Bazooka Amp is 2 OHM stable and is compatible with 2 and/or 4 OHM speakers.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to pull them out to double check, but everything else from Harley is 2 ohm, so I wouldn't think that they would mix ohm loads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's what I thought also but someone on a CVO forum said they were marked 1 ohm. I wanted to use them but got scared and used some Polks but I'm not happy with it yet.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I thought also but someone on a CVO forum said they were marked 1 ohm. I wanted to use them but got scared and used some Polks but I'm not happy with it yet.
I'll double check and get back you on it.

...and Neano, I am LOVIN it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alrighty then! I have finshed my big winter mod. I put on the vented lowers and put the CVO speakers in them. The speakers are 6.5's. Now I do relaize that there are better speakers out there, but I chose these speakers for a reason. One reason is...what the hey, why not. The larger reason was the style plug in for the speakers....seem to be pretty water sealed. That is important for me, because I do get wet while riding, and didn't want any issues. As for the speakers themselves, I have this review....They sound sweet. I have a Bazooka 4 channel 200w RMS amp pushing 5.25's upstairs, the Hogtunes Tweeter Pod, and now the 6.5's in the lowers. I did a road test down the Interstate at 90+ and only needed half volume to clearly hear an acoustic song on the iPod. So without further waiting.....here are the pics:

speaker plug:

plug in speaker:

Speaker in lower:

lower fairing:

Special thanks to Chainsaw for his info on the John Deere Blitz black. The fairing lowers and the speakers boxes were painted with a rattlecan!
John Deere is awesome!!!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked a little closer at one of the pics I had, and I zoomed in on it. It was a lot fuzzy, but it does appear that the 6.5's are 1 ohm. Not sure why. However, I haven't had any problems thus far. I'll keep an eye on it and keep everyone up to date. I don't have the amp but just a little past half-way on the gain, so that may help (I don't know). It does make me wonder if the rest of the CVO speakers are 1 ohm...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I too am trying to do this mod and just discovered the speakers are 1 ohm after receiving them from Harley. I just got off the phone with Hogtunes and they said that they should work but the quality wont be the best and that the amp may not last as it was designed for a 2 ohm load......this sucks, Hogtunes does not offer a 6.5 inch speaker....any suggestions????

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I too am trying to do this mod and just discovered the speakers are 1 ohm after receiving them from Harley. I just got off the phone with Hogtunes and they said that they should work but the quality wont be the best and that the amp may not last as it was designed for a 2 ohm load......this sucks, Hogtunes does not offer a 6.5 inch speaker....any suggestions????
Were you planning on wiring them to your stock amp or were you going to use another one just for the lowers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered an amp from Hogtunes to run the lower speakers. Spoke with Pez, he was very helpful and just as friendly as everyone else has stated. He gave me a discount for mentioning the forum. During our conversation I ask about the tweeter pod that they have released and he told me that he could have it color matched to the CVO paint prior to shipping if I was interested. I guess that might be a future upgrade once I get this one working....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts