Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this?

I'm upgrading to the Agitators and am wondering if anyone has installed the tpms and had their system flashed to the CVO software and had it work. I don't see why I couldn't. Same 6.5 Boom system. Should just be a software update, no? Unless the rim dictates wether or not the sensor will fit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a thread about this on the CVO website, having to do with adding TPMS to a '15 CVO. This option was not introduced until 2016.

From what I remember (as I wanted to do this on my '15 CVO), the wheels ARE part of the issue. Only the '16 wheels will work. Then there was the BCM (body control module) which needs to be changed as well as that has the receiver for the TPMS. I talked with my dealer and they said they thought there were a few additional issues (but they may not have been correct as they never attempted this).

If it was just a BCM change, I would have done it, as I'd like to have added that feature. ON the other hand, some I've spoken to a few people that have the TPMS, and they tell me it's not very accurate and sometimes more annoying than helpful.

Anyway, you might want to check on the CVO site and post there to see if the OP ever moved forward with the upgrade.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Many people don't realize the true value of having TPMS. I hear a lot of comments about checking my air pressure with a quality gauge so I see no need for TPMS.

For me, knowing what the air pressure is without having to use a gauge is just a side benefit of having TMPS.

The main benefit is when you puncture a tire and the system alerts you of the air loss so you can safely pull over to the side of the road before the bike gets squirrelly.

My sport touring bikes came with TPMS, and I did get a puncture on the Concours 1400 that became a non event instead of a pucker moment in the rain while going 55 mph, or worse.

I have a Doran TPMS system that gets hard wired to the bike, but the sensor batteries are not replaceable and you need to change out the valve stems to metal ones.

I am thinking about the FOBO system next that syncs to your smart phone. I have a spare smart phone (basically a tiny tablet) that I can mount to the bars and use as the pressure monitor as well as stream music and a backup GPS / Weather device since I can network it to my phone by turning on the mobile hot spot. Then my phone is not subject to loss or damage.

It really is ridiculous that Harley doesn't have TPMS on all their touring bikes.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have the ones that Bluetooth to my phone. I was planning on getting them but figured I'd check the collective first.

Awesome info guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
When it is time for me to get new tires, I am going to order the FOBO set and metal "T" valve stems. Just have it all done at the same time. It is a pain in the ass to check the tire pressure on the rear, and therefore I don't do it as often as I should.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just my two cents, I don't know how or if I'm lucky, but the TPMS on my '18 CVO is dead on accurate. Every time I manually check it, and I mean every time, it's identical to what the bike is telling me.

Reactions: HUTMO and ALMOONEY

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Just my two cents, I don't know how or if I'm lucky, but the TPMS on my '18 CVO is dead on accurate. Every time I manually check it, and I mean every time, it's identical to what the bike is telling me.
I'd really like to have this on my bike.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
As far as I recall, you have to have the Digital Technician hooked up to be able to turn on the features and also have the supporting sensors installed in the wheels.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
As far as what I've read and be told by a tech at my local HD shop, the Digital Technician turns on the option is the radio as well as the gauges, but it's done separately. Then when the sensors are mounted in the wheels a hand held unit is used to activate the sensors so the radio knows which is the front and which is the rear.

The parts I don't know is if the wheels on my bike will actually accept the sensors and once the sensors are on the wheels will the radio actually read them. Everything else has been verified.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I added the sensors to my new 2019 RGU along with HD Agitator wheels and had the radio flashed to enable the TPMS. Everything works fine.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I added the sensors to my new 2019 RGU along with HD Agitator wheels and had the radio flashed to enable the TPMS. Everything works fine.
The valve stem sizes are different. OE wheels...wheels that come on a bike from the factory other then CVO wheels.....are 11.3mm, CVO wheels are 8.3mm.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How much is the cost for all this? I would love to add this to my RGS.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Will they not fit in factory 19's?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Nope. Craig stated above that they only fit CVO wheels. The wheels are not Vin restricted though. Don't forget the matching rotors while you're at it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
No. The valve stems on your wheels are 11.3mm, the CVO TPMS sensors are 8.3mm. I've read where some cat in Germany or someplace in Europe was able to make it work with some kind of spacer....but I'm not sure what exactly he used.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Son of a B. Alright, might look at upgrading to the 21 in the future then.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
@RGS_2019

Sucks right. I want this too, but don't know a work around for the valve stem issue. And buying new wheels isn't it for me...LOL

The only thing I can think of is the TPMS sensor manufacture must only produce them in 8.3mm.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts