Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some know my stator took a dive last year in Kentucky on the pork chop run .. If you were there you didnt know , cause I never said anything .. Was the second one to go bad , the original plus a replacement installed just before warranty expired .. When we stopped on Saturday at the gas station in the middle of nowhere is when I smelled it ..

Got home and dumped the primary fluid and it was black as coal .. Waited through the winter in no hurry , the weather was too screwed up to do anything ...

Checked the system out and two of the stator legs were bad , already pulled the VR , getting in the primary this afternoon or tomorrow .. After talking to Brewiz and a couple others , decided on the CE kit , sposed to charge better at low rpm and mounts the VR further up the down tubes away from the oil cooler and engine heat ..

Kit sposed to be here next week ..

Best price I found was on Amazon with a vendor in Tennessee , but it's shipping from Texas ..
Dennis Kirk and several others were right at 5 C notes , this place was 432 + tax and shipping , came out to 485 ... The SE kit is also about the same price , but herd lots of good things about CE stuff ..

Pitchers to follow ..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Cycle Electric stuff is made in the USA and it is very highly regarded. They do awesome upgrades for antique Harleys, which is where they made their name first.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My original plan was cams , bearings , lifters and pushin rods this winter , but this crap put that till later on this year ..

Ordered Thursday and just got here a few minutes ago ... Was sposed to be a week ..

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled comp and looks OK , may change to the upgraded version , is original 83935-09 , think there is an 09A upgrade , or the SE comp , thunk about a solid but dunno .. Rotor is being a pain , gonna file or grind down the boss across the bottom of the primary and pull it on out .. Pull the rotor to the boss and can see lots of metal on the magnets , so something gave up the ghost in there ..

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont know , maybe magnets , gonna pull the stator and rotor this afternoon if the weather don't turn to anymore crap than it already is ..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Have a 2006 Road Glide. Put three regulators on it since I have owned it. The current one is a Cycle Electric regulator which I installed in 2012. I have not put another regulator on it since then. Cycle Electric's products are far superior to HD.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Have a 2006 Road Glide. Put three regulators on it since I have owned it. The current one is a Cycle Electric regulator which I installed in 2012. I have not put another regulator on it since then. Cycle Electric's products are far superior to HD.
How many miles on your glide when the first one took a dump?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Well as some know my stator took a dive last year in Kentucky on the pork chop run .. If you were there you didnt know , cause I never said anything .. Was the second one to go bad , the original plus a replacement installed just before warranty expired .. When we stopped on Saturday at the gas station in the middle of nowhere is when I smelled it ..

Got home and dumped the primary fluid and it was black as coal .. Waited through the winter in no hurry , the weather was too screwed up to do anything ...

Checked the system out and two of the stator legs were bad , already pulled the VR , getting in the primary this afternoon or tomorrow .. After talking to Brewiz and a couple others , decided on the CE kit , sposed to charge better at low rpm and mounts the VR further up the down tubes away from the oil cooler and engine heat ..

Kit sposed to be here next week ..

Best price I found was on Amazon with a vendor in Tennessee , but it's shipping from Texas ..
Dennis Kirk and several others were right at 5 C notes , this place was 432 + tax and shipping , came out to 485 ... The SE kit is also about the same price , but herd lots of good things about CE stuff ..

Pitchers to follow ..
How many miles did you have on that regulator and stator? if ya don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ya I have been using CE on my Ironheads for a few decades and have had the same one on my custom Ironhead since 03 when I burned up a stock generator. Rode from Chicago to Milwaukee for HD 100th and fried my armature because I had QH headlight and tail lights. Remember Ironheads and early shovelheads run generators and only produce 17 amps from the factory plus regulators with sticking points and bad things to do like polarization, just like an old tractor from the 50's.

·
Registered
266 Posts
How many miles on your glide when the first one took a dump?
I think it was about 20,000 miles. That was the time when Harley issued a recall on the regulator itself. I replaced it with another Harley regulator and that one lasted about 8000 miles before it went bad too. Since installing the Cycle Electric regulator, I have not had an issue since. When I got my new engine in 2015 (S&S 124 T series), I installed a Cycle Electric stator as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya I have been using CE on my Ironheads for a few decades and have had the same one on my custom Ironhead since 03 when I burned up a stock generator. Rode from Chicago to Milwaukee for HD 100th and fried my armature because I had QH headlight and tail lights. Remember Ironheads and early shovelheads run generators and only produce 17 amps from the factory plus regulators with sticking points and bad things to do like polarization, just like an old tractor from the 50's.
Old tech is cool , but I do not miss sitting on the side of the road fixing my panhead and shovelheads , but I wish they were still here ...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Old tech is cool , but I do not miss sitting on the side of the road fixing my panhead and shovelheads , but I wish they were still here ...
it's more fun to look at them and appreciate them for what they were, eh?

i sure as hell don't miss bump starting or kick starting that old iron. but i was young and foolish once lol

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I hear ya wing , but I really didnt mind fixing stuff on the road side then , but times were different ya know and I was blessed to have some old hands as patient mentors .. I was in my 20's and they were in their 60's .. Now I am the sixties guy and have had at least one young pup tuck himself under wing and it felt good for me ..

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have 37k on my regulator and my scoot is a 2011 FLTRX without an oil cooler , but I replaced m regulator just as a maintenance thing hope it lasts as long as the OE, and if I have to do a stator down the road think I will do what you did going cycle electric set up.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have 37k on my regulator and my scoot is a 2011 FLTRX without an oil cooler , but I replaced m regulator just as a maintenance thing hope it lasts as long as the OE, and if I have to do a stator down the road think I will do what you did going cycle electric set up.
They have two different kits for our bike , one for the oil cooler ( mine ) and a different one for yours , think the only difference is mine has a plastic fitting to slip over one of the oil cooler lines that is resting against the VR , which is my only complaint ..

The kit is installed now , all I need to do is run by the dealer and get another bolt for the compensator .. It's a one time use and I knew it going in , and don't know why I didn't go get one already .. No hurry I think it's never going to quit raining here ..

Once I pulled the stator and rotor , I could see lots of fine metal shavings , lots to me any ways , the magnets had plenty on them also .. Looking at the stator and rotor they look fine .. No visible damage ..

Resistance between the three legs is sposed to be .1 - .3 ohms , one leg was good , the other two were not ..

The kit :

the VR is massive , and I like it being away from the engine more , it mounts on the tab just up the tubes with the two holes in it .. Very snug fit and I managed to strip the threads in one side , but it's not going anywhere , I DO NOT like that it is against the oil cooler line , but they supply a piece to fit over the line ..

The rotor is a Harley rotor that they have either refurbished or bought new and modified , and they have stamped it with their info ..

The stator is definitely beefed up over the stock unit and they provide new mounting bolts ..

PITA's :

1) the VR is a very snug fit where it mounts to the frame , and you need four hands and I wasn't removing the front tire and fender to do this ..

2) re plugging the VR plug to the VR , just the position of the plug and no wiggle room , stator plug was piece of cake ..

3) removing the rotor with the inner primary in place .. Some splaining here , contrary to what is said , you DO NOT , I repeat DO NOT have to remove the inner primary to do this job ... There is a boss or lip at the edge of the primary that just barely keeps the rotor from coming off easy .. I couldn't wiggle it just so to get it off , so I grabbed my cutting wheel ( six inch with one speed ... fast ) and stuffed rags all over the clutch hub and rotor , hit it two or three short hits and didn't like the idea .. Pulled the stator again and came right off ...

Bike has right at 70 thousand on the odd o meter , been pretty much trouble free ...

More to follow ..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts