Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered the middle size banana boards (19" I believe). I just had knees replaced and wanted more room for my feet to wander. I searched for issues and really didn't find anything to dissuade me so I ordered them.

Easy install. Lots of room for foot movement.

I didn't like the rear shift lever taking up so much of the board so I ordered the extended lever fom Walters Workshop. Very nice quality and it gave me plenty of room on the board. One issue solved.

Took the bike off the jack and put it on the jiffy stand. Climbed on the bike and raised the jiffy stand. When I tried to put the jiffy stand down it was a chore. The tab on the jiffy stand is under the footboard. Remember the replaced knees....they aren't real flexible yet. Had a time getting my toe on the tab of the jiffy stand. The banana board did flip up a bit but someone else on the forums identified the fact that the board hits the primary case when it flips up. The other side hits the exhaust heat shields. I thought I was going to be sitting on the bike for a few hours until someone came by! Finally got the jiffy stand down. I did find one comment on this jiffy stand issue. Guys were saying they just bent over and used their hands to push it down. That doesn't work for us older fat guys!

Figured out a couple of options. EZ Up center stand or Kuryakyn relocator brackets which move the boards forward an inch and out an inch. I wasn't keen on moving them out an inch but I ordered the Kuyakyn kit anyway. Since I am typically lazy I pull in the garage straight and put it on the jack and spin it around. The EZ Up jack would require moving the bike around. Too much work.

I did consider the jiffy stand extension but it would end up under the board as well...at least it looked that way.

I installed the Kuyakyn Relocater brackets. Fairly simple but after install the boards seemed loose and I could make them rattle by moving the with my hands. The issue was the "narrow front mounting arms" on the road glide. The instructions require 4 washers be installed on each side of the mounting arm on the board relocators. That worked fine but the banana boards also have a "wider" space than the board relocator brackets. This is where the boards were loose. I just placed washers in a similar position on the relocator brackets and that tightened things up. This was another issue I had read on some forum. The guy said he contacted Kuyakyn and they said it was the first time they had heard of that issue. Anyway the boards are now installed on the relocator brakets.

With the boards an inch forward I can now find the tab on the jiffy stand and can put it down easily. I'm still not excited about the one inch out. The boards were already wide enough that they measured the same distance out as the stock boards did with the 3/4 inch extensions. With the movement forward, when the boards flip up now they don't hit the primary case nor the exhaust shields. It did take a little getting used to starting out and putting my feet up on the boards. My ankles hit the side of the boards the first couple of stops. There is lots of room for foot movement now.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,959 Posts
Interesting, as I've had the 19" banana boards on my bike for two years now and have had no issues getting ahold of the tab for the jiffy stand with my left foot ... and I'm old, and fat! Must be because of your recent knee replacement I guess. Or maybe because I have size 14 feet! The only thing I want to do that I haven't found time for yet is to remove the heal shifter. That takes up a lot of room and I never use it anyway.

I had a total replacement of my left knee but that was a few years ago. Don't know how long it's been since you had your's done or where you are in the rehab process but when it's all over you'll kick your own ass for not doing it sooner.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for the info. The 19" banana boards are high on my list of mods to get.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reaching the tab probably had to do with leg flexibility. I had a hard time getting my toe under the back part of the board to the tab.

I did gain a lot of room with the Walters Workshop shifter extension. I don't use the rear shifter either but there was a post on the forum somewhere that talked about using the rear shifter. Wanted to try it sometime.

Knees were done in May. I already am happy with the decision. The constant pain is gone. I can actually sleep through he night.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I stepped on the tab while the kickstand was down and bent it towards the ground. Not a lot, but enough to make a difference in getting to the tab. Much easier.

·
7,959 Posts
Reaching the tab probably had to do with leg flexibility. I had a hard time getting my toe under the back part of the board to the tab.

I did gain a lot of room with the Walters Workshop shifter extension. I don't use the rear shifter either but there was a post on the forum somewhere that talked about using the rear shifter. Wanted to try it sometime.

Knees were done in May. I already am happy with the decision. The constant pain is gone. I can actually sleep through he night.
Yes, that's a big benefit. For me the next biggest was being able to walk across uneven ground (in the woods for example) without worrying I was going to do a faceplant. Especially when going slightly downhill. My right one is just starting to become an issue. Have to lay in a certain position to get it comfortable enough to get to sleep. Once I'm asleep it's not an issue. No one said getting old was going to be easy!

·
7,959 Posts
Can ya post some pictures?
Here's a pic of a straight bolt on replacement for the stock boards, no spacers or extensions. Not a great pic but the best that I have at the moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts