Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my Vulcan Vaquero earlier this year Dairyland was $50 a month compared to GEICO at $75. Not what I expected so I went with Dairyland. When I traded for my new Road Glide recently, Dairyland's quote was $105 a month and GEICO was $50 a month. When I went to switch, Dairyland charged me a fee for early termination. I never heard of such a fee for insurance. I'll never figure out insurance companies. I am thought quite satisfied with the premiums I am currently paying GEICO. The coverage levels and deductibles are the same.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Insurance is a pain in the arse. I have been using Progressive for a number of years now, but my home owners insurance and truck and car insurance along with my second bike get me some good discounts. Shopping around is always the best thing to do.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I live in MA am 55 years old and have not had a ticket or accident in 15-20 years.

My 2016 Road glide is about $300 a year for basic insurance, $1000 a year for fire and theft, and an additional $1400 to add collision for a total of $2400 a year or $200 a month. I can't afford and didn't add the collision coverage. And that is the cheaper option. Living in a shithole city doesn't help. A friend 10 miles away in a different town pays 1/2 what I do?!

MA sucks for insurance costs!!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Every time I swap bikes I shop for insurance. Geico, progressive, and the other big names are double what Dairyland charges. I have full coverage on the two Harleys, and everything but Collison on the rest and I pay approximately $600 a year.

Do you northerners drop Collison in the storage months?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I pay 340.00 a year for Geico. Full coverage, collision, towing, 2k in chrome add on coverage. The truck and the wife's Hummer are on Erie Ins. As is the homeowners on this house and the rental. Erie wanted 900 a year.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Every time I swap bikes I shop for insurance. Geico, progressive, and the other big names are double what Dairyland charges. I have full coverage on the two Harleys, and everything but Collison on the rest and I pay approximately $600 a year.

Do you northerners drop Collison in the storage months?
Yes sir. Only keep comp in case of theft or fire.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I despise insurance companies.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I live in MA am 55 years old and have not had a ticket or accident in 15-20 years.

My 2016 Road glide is about $300 a year for basic insurance, $1000 a year for fire and theft, and an additional $1400 to add collision for a total of $2400 a year or $200 a month. I can't afford and didn't add the collision coverage. And that is the cheaper option. Living in a shithole city doesn't help. A friend 10 miles away in a different town pays 1/2 what I do?!

MA sucks for insurance costs!!
Yup, mass ins sucks!

Yes I drop collision when stored in winter.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I remember when I had my 2011 Road Glide and Ducati Monster through Dairyland it was cheaper than either one of my bikes alone now. I pay about 1250/year to Allstate for both bikes with full coverage 100/300/50 limits on liability, comp, collision and uninsured. Deductibles are $1,000 except comp is maybe $250. I live in Forsyth Co. GA which is considered an Atlanta metro area and that doesn't help. 42, no accidents. All my other stuff is with State Farm because moving it all to Allstate didn't make much of a difference. I could actually move the bikes to State Farm and get the same deal. The 2017 RGU is almost $300 more per year than the Duc.

I'm going to check out geico though!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad I don't live up north. What the heck is up with premiums there? I pay $411 a year full coverage for my 2016 RGS and my wife's 2015 Can Am Spyder F3 and she's only been riding for two years.

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
My 11 with Dairyland is 525 a year full coverage with a $250 deductible and $6000 additional accessories .. Zip Code matters .. It was $600 a year when it was new with Dairyland ..

·
Registered
468 Posts
My 11 CVO was 475 when new with State Farm per year. In 12 we moved to Tenn and it went to 550 a year and I asked them why the MC went up and the car and truck went down. Their response was because we lived so close to the Dragon the rate is higher. I wonder if it would be high if I lived next door to a nuclear plant. TVA says they are safe.

·
Registered
302 Posts
To the original posters point. When you cancel an Insurance policy, companies use what's called a "short rate". Which is a pro rata rate, plus a penalty. The penalty goes down, as the closer to the end of the term.

If you have other items insured with the same company, they often will pro rate a cancelation. Always, if on the same policy.

As to the Massachusetts question:

Pocahontas has nothing to do with our states Insurance. Zip, nothing, nada. Although, she is certainly out of her mind....

My policy has average Liability limits. With collision and comprehensive costs me $633. on a 15 RG S. Which is lowered from regular rates by good driving record, AAA membership, and paying in cash up front. I live in a zone 7 town. I could save $65 a year, if I dropped collision for the winter. I am not with an Insurance company that is easy have a claim with.....but, at least it's not All-State.

The reason Mass. insurance is a problem, is that we have guaranteed issue. No matter what your record, or where you live, you are able to get collision and comprehensive. Had ten previous cars stolen ? Or, a dozen at fault totals, you still get coverage. Car dealers and banks got this law enacted more than 70 years ago. Yes, the drivers sux too. But, we thrive on challenges here.....

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have 3 old scooters on Dairyland for $150/year. I just moved my bagger from Allstate to Dairyland and saved about $250 a year.

Insurance is going to be unaffordable unless some changes are made. Cars are basically throwaways now. Anything more than a fender bender crushes some safety zone in the unit body. And all these storms are driving homeowners insurance through the roof.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts