Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Shark Tank,

I just added the Dakota Digital gauges this weekend and the color options are overwhelming. I’m wondering if anyone that has these would post a pic of your colors and layout etc. Just trying to get an idea of what colors have worked for others. I’ll attach a pic of what I came up with in 10 minutes of trying. Not sure I like it.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Looks good. I'll be installing Dakota gauges this winter in my 09. From what I read, theres like a million different configurations of colors. Keep messing with them until find a configuration you like then repost the pics. As of right now with them sitting in the box I think im going to keep them one color. We'll see how that works out when I get them in lol

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figured out how to split gauge 1 and 2 to show two readings. Still need to get the oil temp plug installed and I need to learn how to set the clock in the gauges. I remember reading it’s a challenge.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I have Dakota Digitals in my 08 and back then they only came in 2 colors, what a change now the new gauges look killer. The only issue I've' had with mine is that a LED would stop working, I had to send in the speedo and tach in a couple times for repair and I had to send the oil pressure gauge in once and it cost $40 a gauge to fix them when they are out of warranty.

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Super Moderator
5,750 Posts
Those gauges look awesome. Congrats !!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Figured out how to split gauge 1 and 2 to show two readings. Still need to get the oil temp plug installed and I need to learn how to set the clock in the gauges. I remember reading it’s a challenge.
Took a little time to understand about changing the layout of what I wanted showen on the gauges but got it , it's all in the instructions and set up is hold the trip button and turn on everything is changed through that
Who did the Sony and Dakota install , yourself or others. I had fathead cycles do mine

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the install. The Sony has been there but because I have so much other crap stuffed in the fairing, it was an absolute bearcat to get those satellite gauges swapped out. It ended up taking all of 3 hours to do it all. Speedo/tach is relatively simple despite my bars being very much in the way of those gauge housing screws. Only item remaining is the oil temp plug.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,510 Posts
I have Dakota Digitals in my 08 and back then they only came in 2 colors, what a change now the new gauges look killer. The only issue I've' had with mine is that a LED would stop working, I had to send in the speedo and tach in a couple times for repair and I had to send the oil pressure gauge in once and it cost $40 a gauge to fix them when they are out of warranty.
You paint a clear picture about the quality - almost like the price is including warranty costs

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Well the quality was good but every now and then one or two LEDs would just stop working in a gauge. My gauges are obsolete now from what I understand from the last time I sent them in. I think you can still get the gauges for the earlier year models but I believe they made improvements in the quality and maybe the design but I'm not sure.
I've had my gauges since 09 or 10 so they have been in there for awhile. DD use to have only one color which was teal and then they came out with red gauges and I got the red gauges as soon as they came out.
One thing about it DD gauges do look killer IMO

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
I have a friend with a CVO Street Glide and he has DD gauges....really likes them. I did my research and concluded they are what I want. I'm simply tired of struggling to get a quick, easy read of the finer details from the stock gauges. My set is on order and I'm anxious to get them set up.

fwiw: I think it's definitely too easy to get involved in a myriad of colors. I'm planning to keep it very simple in terms of color, and make small changes from there over time.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
For anyone interested, these are available via the big auction for as low as $795. That's for the 4-gauge setup MLX-8414. Free shipping. Retail is $1095.

Advance apology if this post violates forum rules.

·
Super Moderator
13,318 Posts
I installed mine in October, I constantly change the colors, lol. The black/white works best in bright sunlight.

Reactions: cpbedor

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
^^^That's correct.^^^ Search (example) 'MLX-8414 Dakota' and you'll see the listings. Check every listing for price. Some won't show their price until you add it to you cart, but you can dump it after checking. Some listings allow you to make an offer. That's what I did. I got mine from a seller with a 99.9% positive feedback rate. I could've saved a bit more, but the guy had a 97% rating and was a lot farther away.

·
Registered
155 Posts
@cpbedor @RogersRGU How hard was the install? I've been looking at these for about a year and haven't pulled the trigger, but after seeing these, I might do it tomorrow. Ever regret changing to the digital over the analog? Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
No regrets even though sometimes when the sun's at right angle behind me it washs out the display for a little time, show alot more info and the color schemes are great to change to what I like at the time

1 - 20 of 93 Posts