Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Shark Tank,

I just added the Dakota Digital gauges this weekend and the color options are overwhelming. I’m wondering if anyone that has these would post a pic of your colors and layout etc. Just trying to get an idea of what colors have worked for others. I’ll attach a pic of what I came up with in 10 minutes of trying. Not sure I like it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the install. The Sony has been there but because I have so much other crap stuffed in the fairing, it was an absolute bearcat to get those satellite gauges swapped out. It ended up taking all of 3 hours to do it all. Speedo/tach is relatively simple despite my bars being very much in the way of those gauge housing screws. Only item remaining is the oil temp plug.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The install wasn’t terrible Speedo/tach are easy, routing the oil temp line and getting it in is easy. The top gauges were a pain for me but that’s my own fault— I have the fairing full of amps and wiring. Pull the speaker pods off and two screws to pull the vents. You’ll need about a 9” extension with a T25 bit on the end but after that, simple. Important to know that you DO have to route two little wires from the top gauges back through the neck and up to the Speedo. This took me just under 40 seconds to accomplish and I have a TON of wires going through that channel. It’s a couple hours of taking your time realistically.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I thought I saw somewhere that you could set the auto-dimming or something like that so where the sun hits it directly it will turn the background white so you could see it better. Have you tried that?

Thanks for the info man.
Yep, you can set auto dimming for night riding and you can also set the gauges to invert when in direct sunlight. This happens automatically. If you’re riding down a highway with a bunch of trees then it opens up in direct light, it will flip to white gauges with black numbers and when you are back out of the sunlight, about a minute later, it switches back.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not to my knowledge but again, they’re not like the LEDs of previous Dakota digital gauges, they are a soft color that shows on the screen as real letters and words— I guess more like a phone display than a calculator display?

There’s endless combinations of colors also that are less bright, but to my knowledge you can’t dim them once their set other than the auto dimming which can be turned on or off in the app. They obviously have the capability of dimming so maybe there is a way that I haven’t discovered yet!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
25.5 seconds? Bro we should race for pink slips!! I have the same issue, I don’t know how to set it up, I assumed it was automatic but perhaps not. Please post your findings. I also found my gear indicator flipping all over the place when I was riding the other day. I only have about 50 miles on the new gauges so I too may need to place a call to Dakota. My current setting is the “stock HD” (not trike) and I did not choose to use the learn feature. Good luck on your 0-60 times!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Admittedly I haven’t spent a ton of time messing with mine but I can’t seem to get the clock to stay set. I’ll set it and then it seems to change. Currently it’s about 51 minutes off and I have no idea why. The other issue I have with mine relates to the gear reading. Because I have different sprockets on my bike, the gear indicator does not jive with the standard HD six speed. Not that I need to know what gear I’m in when I look at my Speedo but it would be nice to have it accurate. I know there’s a process to train the gauges but it seems like a pain so I’ve not even tried. Guess that’s all on me, not Dakota Digital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I don’t run infotainment, I have a Sony in the dash and I definitely need to run the programming for my gears. The do not align due to some gearing mods. I’ll give programming a try and see if it holds. I’d love to have a success story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
After complaining about it all year, I finally took the time to do the transmission/gear learning process. I wish I’d have tried sooner, it was very easy and now my little gear indicator works on the gauges. It’s not that I needed to see what gear I was in, I just got annoyed that it was always showing incorrectly on the display. Problem solved and far less difficult than i thought it would be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts