Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few weeks I have started noticing problems in my handle bar radio controls. I lose volume up/down, menu (bass, treble...etc) I also lose CD track up, but strangely down works fine. Then I go over a bump and everything works fine for a while.
I was hoping to wait for the winter to troubleshoot the issue so I would not miss any riding time, but it seems to be happening more often. So even though it is 70 degrees and sunny I am about to pull the fairing and start poking around.
Hopefully it is just a loose connector.

If you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Had similar problem and it was metal shavings/splinters around the inside of the drilled holes in the bars. Filed them down, made sure wires were good to go and no issues since. I have 14" outlaws

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Sure sounds like connector, pace yourself as to it's working before puttin back together, trace trace trace.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Had similar problem and it was metal shavings/splinters around the inside of the drilled holes in the bars. Filed them down, made sure wires were good to go and no issues since. I have 14" outlaws

You had to do this with Chubby bars? I've installed two pair on 2 different bikes and never seen sloppy holes in any of them.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK... Good news, bad news

Good news - Pulled the fairing checked the connectors and wiggled some wires. Everything works! I don't think I pulled anything hard enough to effect wires coming out of handle bars so I am pretty sure the problem located under the fairing. :)

Bad News - I don't have clue exactly where the problem is. :confused:

I did notice that the antenna plug on the back of the stereo was pulled half way out. I may have been a little too enthusiastic last time I bundled up all the under fairing wires / cables.

I guess the next step is to pull up a chair and a good light and inspect every wire / cable.... What fun...:(

I want to get this fixed so I can go to Thunder on the Strip in Geneva on the lake tomorrow.

·
Registered
516 Posts
OK... Good news, bad news

Good news - Pulled the fairing checked the connectors and wiggled some wires. Everything works! I don't think I pulled anything hard enough to effect wires coming out of handle bars so I am pretty sure the problem located under the fairing. :)

Bad News - I don't have clue exactly where the problem is. :confused:

I did notice that the antenna plug on the back of the stereo was pulled half way out. I may have been a little too enthusiastic last time I bundled up all the under fairing wires / cables.

I guess the next step is to pull up a chair and a good light and inspect every wire / cable.... What fun...:(

I want to get this fixed so I can go to Thunder on the Strip in Geneva on the lake tomorrow.

Check the connector... if you don't get them seated properly when putting the pins back in, they can back out after you connect them back to the wiring harness...

Disconnect it and look for a pin that is backed out......

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK everything working and back together...

Pulled apart and inspected each plug (found nothing). Redressed all the wires / cables neater with less stress. If the problem stays gone for the next 500 miles then I will call it fixed.

By the way, the HD engineer who designed the outer fairing eats shit with a fork, hell his entire extended family eats shit with a fork. It took me by myself 4 tries to get the fairing installed properly, then the top adjuster on the headlight assembly wouldn't line up so I had to remove 1 light from the assembly to get everything lined up then I reinstalled the light into the assembly.

Well my finger are crossed, gonna take a test ride...

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Next time use a little dielectric grease on the conections. Also after messing with your lights , don't forget to check the beam alignment.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds like everything is OK now. Glad it's working.

If it comes back, check the upper controls. I did my 2+2s and ended up pinching the wires under the upper controls. Good luck!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Next time use a little dielectric grease on the conections. Also after messing with your lights , don't forget to check the beam alignment.
I think my lights are pointed too far down now. Adjusting them is a pain in the ass also.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I think my lights are pointed too far down now. Adjusting them is a pain in the ass also.

Yep , make sure you use a lift or jack to steady the bike before trying to adjust. If no 4.5 mm a 3/16 will fit.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rode > 150 miles yesterday. No more electrical control issues. Every thing seems to working great! :)

Just got done adjusting headlights up 1.5 turns.

Thanks to Big_Gary for the 3/16 tip because I do not, of course have a 4.5mm socket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts