Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking the air in all of my vehicles this past Saturday and discovered that the rear tire of my 2017 RGS, with only about 6K miles on it, had a decking nail in it, right in the center. Dunlop says you can repair their tires, I will, with an internal patch/plug but only to be used as a spare. I just cannot stand the thought of riding on a repaired tire, on a bike.

I subscribe to the fact that properly inflated tires are the first thing keeping my, and more importantly, my passenger's, ass off the pavement, so I ordered a new tire, a Shinko 777 HD, $106, with bonus cash $73 to my door delivered from Jake Wilson. About 1/2 the price of a Dunlop Elite at $220.
I do my own tire work, and I have had good luck with Shinkos on my KLR; will see how this tire works out on the HD. Most of the reviews look good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will shortly have a ride from Singapore thru Malaysia, Thailand into Laos and back. To prepare just spent over SGD $ 1,000 for new set of Dunlops which I will have puncture sealant painted inside the tyre. Last thing I want is puncture and stuck on roadside. Guarantee these sizes not readily available.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
was trying to see if the load rating was high enough for our bikes. j&p says 'new higher load ratings' but doesn't bother to tell you what they are...

looking at the shinko website, it does give you full specs. their 180/65-16 heavy duty has a load rating of 81 which is comparable to the oem. it does also mention that the recommended pressure is 49 psi

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was trying to see if the load rating was high enough for our bikes. j&p says 'new higher load ratings' but doesn't bother to tell you what they are...

looking at the shinko website, it does give you full specs. their 180/65-16 heavy duty has a load rating of 81 which is comparable to the oem. it does also mention that the recommended pressure is 49 psi
Look again, that is MAX PSI. Mine will be run at 40 psi on the rear.

My experience with Dunlop tires on other bikes as well as my truck has been below average.

For bikes, my preferred brand is Bridgestone, but they do not yet make one in a 180/65/16 bias ply .

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a buddy that puts Shinkos on his ride every year. About 7,000 miles and then they are toast. Nice and grippy when new though!
Are they the 777 HDs? Supposed to last longer. Hell, I am used to getting about 4,000 miles out of a rear tire on my Honda and even less on the Ducati, so I won't be complaining anyway.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Are they the 777 HDs? Supposed to last longer. Hell, I am used to getting about 4,000 miles out of a rear tire on my Honda and even less on the Ducati, so I won't be complaining anyway.
I'll find out and get back to ya

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are they the 777 HDs? to last longer. Hell, I am used to getting about 4,000 miles out of a rear tire on my Honda and even less on the Ducati, so I won't be complaining anyway.
I like the Dunlop American Elites. I was hoping to find out how many miles I could get out of my last set on the '13 Ultra Limited (I didn't keep up with the pressure and cupped the first set), but with 7K miles on them traded the Limited for the Shark. They didn't appear to be worn at all. Right now I've got 7800+ on the OEMs and they're going strong.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I decided Saturday to replace the stock tire, with the plug in it, with the new Shinko 777 HD. Been changing tires for a long time, and know what I am doing. Got the rear wheel off, no problem, broke the bead, kind of a problem. Tried to dismount on a manual changer, big problem. Absolutely the stiffest tire I have ever encountered. Heat, lube, beads in the center, cussing... I ended up taking the new tire and wheel to a local shop that has a NICE tire machine and balancer, took two minutes, $25, gladly paid. The tire guy said, "If I still was mounting tires manually, it just would not be happening." he also said, "You will not like this Shinko, not stiff enough for a HD, makes the bike move around, unsettling and scary in curves. The best tires out there for Harleys are the Dunlop Elites." Ok, if you say so. He just happens to sell them. The Shinko felt just as stiff as the Dunlop to me.

I mounted the new tire/wheel assembly on the RGS and went for a ride. Went to my favorite curvy road and rode pretty hard. I can tell absolutely no difference between the new Shinko 777 HD and the HD branded Dunlop that was OEM.

180/65/17 from Jake Wilson:
Dunlop Elite $220
Shinko 777 HD $106

OEM front tire has 6K miles on it, looks almost new. Will ride with this combo until something wears out and advise if any issues.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided Saturday to replace the stock tire, with the plug in it, with the new Shinko 777 HD. Been changing tires for a long time, and know what I am doing. Got the rear wheel off, no problem, broke the bead, kind of a problem. Tried to dismount on a manual changer, big problem. Absolutely the stiffest tire I have ever encountered. Heat, lube, beads in the center, cussing... I ended up taking the new tire and wheel to a local shop that has a NICE tire machine and balancer, took two minutes, $25, gladly paid. The tire guy said, "If I still was mounting tires manually, it just would not be happening." he also said, "You will not like this Shinko, not stiff enough for a HD, makes the bike move around, unsettling and scary in curves. The best tires out there for Harleys are the Dunlop Elites." Ok, if you say so. He just happens to sell them. The Shinko felt just as stiff as the Dunlop to me.

I mounted the new tire/wheel assembly on the RGS and went for a ride. Went to my favorite curvy road and rode pretty hard. I can tell absolutely no difference between the new Shinko 777 HD and the HD branded Dunlop that was OEM.

180/65/17 from Jake Wilson:
Dunlop Elite $220
Shinko 777 HD $106

OEM front tire has 6K miles on it, looks almost new. Will ride with this combo until something wears out and advise if any issues.
Been riding a week with the Shinko 777 HD on the rear. The tire guy above was wrong about this tire, or he was not talking about the HD version. I hit my favorite curvy section of road hard this weekend and the difference in this tire and the OEM Dunlop that it replaced is that the Shinko is softer and grips better. It probably will not last as long, but I like grippy tires. I recommend running it at 42psi solo and 46psi with a passenger, max inflation is 49psi.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Good info here. I?ve got 17k on my stockers and probably will replace them in a month or two. It?s gonna be really hard for me to not purchase another Dunlop.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'd patch that tire and not think twice about it. I'd definitely trust a Dunlop over Shinko any day.
I ran Michelin 8 series tires on my '78 wing which weighed around 750 pounds; plugged & put a new tube in more than one in the 8.5 years that I owned that bike; then ran them till the tread was gone, never a problem. I, like Swomack, will be waiting for your review.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Good info here. I?ve got 17k on my stockers and probably will replace them in a month or two. It?s gonna be really hard for me to not purchase another Dunlop.
eddie,

i got really good mileage out of my oem tires as well. we were getting ready for a roadtrip so i went ahead and replaced them both at 20k even though i could have gone a few thousand more. i did have some cupping going on, so that also helped in the decision to replace.

replaced them with the Dunlop American elites. both were priced at what hd wants for just the rear oem. have been running those for 15,000 miles now, still lots of life left, no cupping yet, and the performance both wet and dry is excellent.

will be going with another set when these wear out.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
eddie,

i got really good mileage out of my oem tires as well. we were getting ready for a roadtrip so i went ahead and replaced them both at 20k even though i could have gone a few thousand more. i did have some cupping going on, so that also helped in the decision to replace.

replaced them with the Dunlop American elites. both were priced at what hd wants for just the rear oem. have been running those for 15,000 miles now, still lots of life left, no cupping yet, and the performance both wet and dry is excellent.

will be going with another set when these wear out.
Thanks for the info. Ill get the DAE's. You need to holler at me and lets go make a ride or at least meet up in Natchidoches and get a po boy and a beer.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
will do. afraid it's going to be a while though. going into rotation this week, and then after rotation ends in December, have to make a road trip to fl.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts