Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what a pain this has become, I changed out my lifters to S&S premium lifters after the fueling ones failed, and guess what this god damn noise is back but to a lesser degree. On cold start up she clacks a little from the front cylinder it sounds like, and also after shes hot and you shut her down for about 45 minutes, I have checked the compensator 2 sets of lifters what the hell is left, the rockers I imagine? even had the pushrods checked when the lifters were replaced, the sound did get a lot better but I am wondering if the bad lifter damaged a rocker? I need help I am freakin pissed .Factory lifters took a dump at 11k then the feuling lasted about 2k, now I know its not my new S&S lifters,whatever work was done def made it quieter but I know its not valve train noise cause after a minute the oil starts flowing u cant really hear it except sometimes on accel I think, IM at the end of my rope, help! any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also does anyone think this could because of the syn oil? I run 20W50 amsoil didn't think that could be an issue, but someone mentioned it to me.:confused:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I think you have the correct lifters, After 30 HD's and tons of miles my rule is if it runs, I ride. Only thing is you may be able to adjust a little of the noise out. If the noise goes away with oil pressure I would not be concerned. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what one of my riding buddies also said,but on the other hand I think I hear it sometimes on accel as well,wondering if the rocker has some damge to it from the faulty lifters or even maybe cracked I have been told don't know how common that is,thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its def coming from the front cylinder, any thoughts?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Get a Hawgwired amp and some hertz speakers ... that'll take care of the engine noise. :cool:

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Have you done any motor work like cams or big bore? My initial guess might be the compensator. It can mimic front cylinder noise.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I did feuling 525 cams and S&S premium lifters with hd quick install pushrods but I had the noise before I did the work,i did check the torque on the compensator back in nov it was good.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Yes I did feuling 525 cams and S&S premium lifters with hd quick install pushrods but I had the noise before I did the work,i did check the torque on the compensator back in nov it was good.
I would take a good look at the compensator. The tightness of the bolt will not have anything to do with noise from the compensator. It's a shit design and wears out much sooner than it should.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
I would take a good look at the compensator. The tightness of the bolt will not have anything to do with noise from the compensator. It's a shit design and wears out much sooner than it should.
++ 1^^^.

The rockers are pretty stout and it is highly unlikely that they are damaged, it may be possible that the rocker bolts could back out but it would be uncommon.
Just for peace of mind you can pull the rocker covers and take a look, you can check the rocker bolts and see if they are tight and you can also check the crankcase breather bolts too, no need to put a torque wrench on the bolts just make sure they are tight.
You most likely won't find a problem but it won't cost you anything but time to check since you can reuse the gasket, it is also a good time to clean the rocker covers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
According to Zipper's the rocker arms are the most overlooked wear item in the valve train, they comment that most bikes are getting cams etc. but they need new rocker arms.

Are the push rods adjustable, maybe the front needs to turn one more flat?

Cam plates also can leak and not deliver oil to a critical area, maybe a leak down test is needed.

Synthetics do have a smaller molecule so they tend to be a little noisier but it shouldn't "clack". You could try one quart of 20/60 and for the remainder fill with 20/50, it might help.

that's all I can come up with?

What year, millage?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Mine quieted down after adding Marvel Mystery Oil to my gas as directed.
Add one shot glass for every two gallons of gas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had a vey similar problem. Just had a new cam plate & cam bearings installed. Was told that the oil pressure relief on the cam plate was out of spec. For what its worth the problem did not start until I stared using Amsoil.
So far i have been covered by warranty. Now using regular 20w50 Harley oil to break it back in. Just something to look into.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Yes.

I think you have the correct lifters, After 30 HD's and tons of miles my rule is if it runs, I ride. Only thing is you may be able to adjust a little of the noise out. If the noise goes away with oil pressure I would not be concerned. Good Luck
I agree.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Okay thanks everyone,gonna actually tighten up my adjustable pushrods, HDMC instructions say 2.5 turns but I recently spoke with scott at hillside cycles , a very professional and helpful dude might I say, he explained to me that' S&S requires 4.5 turns on there lifters regardless of brand of pushrod, I also did a service and switched to redline 20W50 syn I was due anyway, I will keep everyone posted. Thanks!:) Also my scoot has 15k on it and its a 2011 fltrx.

·
Registered
76 Posts
S&S has more than a few good videos on how to adjust their lifters, the are very specific in the number of turns/flats, check out their webpage. For some reason I remember the number 20 flats, but 4.5 turns would be 27 flats, so make sure you double check with S&S, the last thing you want is too tight.

Opps, it was a JP Cycle video, click here

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Adjusting the adjustable pushrod are a easy process but it is important to remember to check the TPI (Threads Per Inch) of the pushrods you are using.
Not all adjustable pushrods have the same thread pitch so count the TPI off the pushrod your are using.
A lifter (tappet) in the Harley engine has just over 3/8 inch TOTAL TRAVEL, your goal is to set the lifter right in the middle of the lifters travel so 3/16 of an inch is all you want to push the lifter down.
For example if your pushrods have 24 TPI 3 1/2 threads is what you need to turn the pushrod adjuster after the pushrod is seated on the top of the lifter.
Not all pushrods have 6 flats nuts on the adjuster, the SE pushrods I use only have 4 flats so counting the turns is the best way to adjust the pushrods.
The good thing is there is room for error so if you don't get things dead nuts right on and you are off a little bit there is nothing to worry about.
A lifter that is compressed to much will not pump the oil to the top of the engine as good as a lifter that is set in the middle of its range. So be careful not to adjust the lifter to low.
A mechanics stethoscope may help you locate the noise and it is a good $10 investment.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Okay thanks everyone,gonna actually tighten up my adjustable pushrods, HDMC instructions say 2.5 turns but I recently spoke with scott at hillside cycles , a very professional and helpful dude might I say, he explained to me that' S&S requires 4.5 turns on there lifters regardless of brand of pushrod, I also did a service and switched to redline 20W50 syn I was due anyway, I will keep everyone posted. Thanks!:) Also my scoot has 15k on it and its a 2011 fltrx.
I just put new lifters(HD) cam chain adj and bearings in my buddies 03 dresser,using HD adj push rods,set them at 2 1/2 turns had lifter noise on inital start up every time when cold,turned the push rods a 1/2 turn extra no more lifter noise.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I should go then one turn and try it out before o go up to a full 4.5 than I that what you think? Now im confused.:confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts