Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dark Custom derby cover (part# 25700434) on my '15 RGS. I also use gasket #25416-99C with the red sealant toward the clutch. I've done five primary fluid changes during the bike's 13000 miles and used a new gasket at each service. Ive used the same derby cover T27 torx screws that originally came with the bike and torque them to 108inlb spec. The fluid gets drained overnight and I pour exactly 38oz of fluids, the last two being Formula+.

I've developed an oil seep at the 6 o'clock position on the derby cover since the 2nd oil change. The derby cover looks undamaged and the bike has never been dropped. What could be causing the seep that eventually causes the front of the left bag and left cross-over shield and muffler to be covered with a mist upon post-ride inspection?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Possibly your derby cover is warped.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd be very surprised if this derby cover is warped...its pretty thick billet aluminum. I guess its time to find a piece of thick glass plate and check the cover for warpage.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Put your Derby cover on a flat surface ( like a granite counter top, steel plate etc. and see if it laying flat or if it rocks....that either prove or eliminates the possibility.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I conducted the glass test and it's as flat as the glass...no rocking, no detectable warp. I haven't detected a hairline or larger crack anywhere on the derby cover or the outer primary cover around the screw holes or mating surfaces. The 27t torx screws are good. The oil level is good with probably a minuscule amount (drips/spots worth) less than required 38oz.

For shitsngrinz I doubled up on the gasket (one with 2k-miles, the other with 5k-miles) and torqued it to its 108inlb specs in the proper sequence to see if this added thickness will help the gasket that's making contact with the outer primary cover have a better seal without over-torquing the screws...dunno if that makes sense but it's worth a shot since it's only seeping at the bottom between 4 and 8 o'clock screws on the derby and maybe needs that little extra push at the 6o'clock position where there isn't a screw so it can seal properly...and I have had them hanging around anyway.

I cleaned and sprayed the wet oily areas the seepage created with brake-kleen and wiped off my left bag, side cover, and muffler...and will give it another run.

Report to follow.......

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I hope it's as simple as a faulty gasket.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me, too. Kenny...but that'd mean I've had three faulty gaskets in a row :eek:. I don't know if my daily 3100rpm/80mph (indicated) constant for 40-minutes (one-way) commute runs up and down the 15 has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Put the stock derby cover back on with the same gasket that is on the bike now and see if the oil leak goes away, if it does then the problem would be in the derby cover if it doesn't then try a new gasket with the stock derby cover.
If the oil leaks is still there with any combination of the stock derby cover and a new gasket then you may have a problem with the outer primary cover.
80 mph for 40 minutes won't hurt your derby cover or anything else, if it did my bike would be broke long ago.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put the stock derby cover back on with the same gasket that is on the bike now and see if the oil leak goes away, if it does then the problem would be in the derby cover if it doesn't then try a new gasket with the stock derby cover.
If the oil leaks is still there with any combination of the stock derby cover and a new gasket then you may have a problem with the outer primary cover.
80 mph for 40 minutes won't hurt your derby cover or anything else, if it did my bike would be broke long ago.
Good to know!:D...and I'll work on your systematic process of elimination;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think I've solved my derby cover leak problem: For THIS particular bike with THIS particular billet derby cover, it takes TWO gaskets to create a proper leak-free seep-free seal. It's a good thing that I've saved all my used 5000-mile gaskets and was able to experiment with it instead of taking it to the dealership and their schedules. 200+ miles and no sign of spray on my left bag and muffler...no sign of drip where it's parked, no sign of fluid building up for a drip. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY:D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Great news. Ride safe Nano

1 - 11 of 11 Posts