Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a heat gun safe to use to remove dash inserts or is there a better way?
Never been happy with the aluminum dash insert, but it's just a pretty piece so I haven't worried about it. But today I ran across a black one on clearance so figured why not.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I used a heat gun to remove mine.
Use the low setting and move it around the emblem and if will start to lift.
It's held on with glue.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Get it warm and slide a butter knife underneath. Let goo be gone sit on the residual glue over night and take a rag and wipe it clean.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have had a bad experience in the past with Goo B Gone but y'all know more than me. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I did mine in the summer.. peeled and edge and used a brass putty knife

GOO GONE took the glue off pretty easy

IF you are trying to safe it... forget about it.... they are only like $20 to replace and SEVERAL aftermarkets are out there.. I have a custom one.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I've used a little bit of lighter fluid, on a rag, in the past to remove glue.
Just rub the glue and it comes off.
Worked well for me.
Mike U.
I tried that once while drinking and smoking cigars. Didn't work out so well. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did mine in the summer.. peeled and edge and used a brass putty knife

GOO GONE took the glue off pretty easy

IF you are trying to safe it... forget about it.... they are only like $20 to replace and SEVERAL aftermarkets are out there.. I have a custom one.
Not at all trying to be safe with the old one. I just don't want to hurt anything along the way.

Some people are framers. Some are finish carpenters. I'm ... a sledge hammer. Lol

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Not at all trying to be safe with the old one. I just don't want to hurt anything along the way.

Some people are framers. Some are finish carpenters. I'm ... a sledge hammer. Lol
Lol! I hear ya... just heat it up and peal it off with a soft putty knife like brass... it won't scratch the chrome underneath

Sent from Note4 via TapaTalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
You might also try some fishing line. Ive used it to take car emblems off before with good results. Warm it up with hair dryer first, pry a corner up then slip line under. Run the line back and forth under the dash insert.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread. I have a new dash insert to install, and was looking for tips.
Got it, and some other goodies from Legacy Baggers. I'm going to try the same technique to remove the saddlebag reflectors.
J27

1 - 16 of 16 Posts