Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, having replaced my head unit, I no longer have a CB or intercom. So now I want to do something to replace the stock insert.

Curious to see what yall have, I need good ideas.

Whatcha got?

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I went with a Yaffee dash on mine, but an FLTRX dash looks good too.

Something else to think about is that you have ton of extra wiring you that you now don't need. I recently had the fairing and tank off (running cables for new bars) and I realized just how much extra space that harness took up, so I removed all of it. Rider headset, passenger headset, passenger volume/intercom switches. It's a lot cleaner now and the fairing goes on and off much easier without the extra wiring all coiled up in there.

In my case, I probably should have started with a Custom and added a tour pak, etc, rather than the other way around. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
Dash Insert

You can remove the insert in the metal dash.

Warm everything up really well with a heat gun or hair dryer. Use Dental floss or fishing line to work under the insert and "slice" it off of the metal dash. done correctly now you have a pattern piece.

I used wood to fill in a FLTRX dash. It came out really well. I am thinking of doing the same this now on the RGU dashes.

There is an outfit that makes glass inserts, I won one at SWIII. There also some pretty talented folks in the forum here that may be able to come up with some custom one of a kind pieces for you as well. The tank dash is a great place to show off the signature of your bike to set it apart from the masses.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I bought an extra Ultra insert off eBay to use as a mold to make a new one that will have controls for my heated gear. If I ever get around to it....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed a Carl Brouhard dash insert and was very impressed with the quality of their parts and the custom look. They were also having a pretty good clearance sale which sped up my decision to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Warm everything up really well with a heat gun or hair dryer. Use Dental floss or fishing line to work under the insert and "slice" it off of the metal dash. done correctly now you have a pattern piece.

I used wood to fill in a FLTRX dash. It came out really well. I am thinking of doing the same this now on the RGU dashes.

There is an outfit that makes glass inserts, I won one at SWIII. There also some pretty talented folks in the forum here that may be able to come up with some custom one of a kind pieces for you as well. The tank dash is a great place to show off the signature of your bike to set it apart from the masses.

Calgaryglide
Calgary,
Any chance you want to make another and sell it? I think this looks fantastic. I'd love to get one raw and I will stain my own color.
Let me know what you think.
-Terry

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, but are the FLTRU consoles different from the FLTRX because of the audio hookup?

Seems like there's a deeper well in the center to accommodate it. Would normal accessory console inserts work?

·
Registered
849 Posts

Calgaryglide
Just out of curiosity, what is under the insert on the FTLRX dash? Is it solid? Or does it have holes of some kind?

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
Underside of Tank Dashes

Here are the two different dashs for 08+ RG, SG, EG and ULtras.

The dash for a FLTRX and FLHX are very similar. It is shown from the underside, the lower unit. These dashes are solid without holes. The decal or insert fits into a recess.

The dash for an EG and Ultras is from the underside and is the upper unit. The EG dash or the Ultra Dash with the com port are glued into place. The dash shown here is the original off of my 2008 RG. In 2009 they went to the dash at the bottom of the picture.

The wood piece is the template for the wood dash insert. This was used to trace out the wood before cutting. I could make another 1 to mail to you or I could mail you the original FLTRX insert and you could use that to trace out the shape on a piece of wood that you like the grain. Of course I would mail them in a bubble wrapped envelope so that they would not be damaged.

Regards,

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The dash for a FLTRX and FLHX are very similar. It is shown from the underside, the lower unit. These dashes are solid without holes. The decal or insert fits into a recess.

The dash for an EG and Ultras is from the underside and is the upper unit. The EG dash or the Ultra Dash with the com port are glued into place. The dash shown here is the original off of my 2008 RG. In 2009 they went to the dash at the bottom of the picture.

The wood piece is the template for the wood dash insert. This was used to trace out the wood before cutting. I could make another 1 to mail to you or I could mail you the original FLTRX insert and you could use that to trace out the shape on a piece of wood that you like the grain. Of course I would mail them in a bubble wrapped envelope so that they would not be damaged.

Regards,

Calgaryglide
Thanks so much! Sorry for being dense here, but on my Ultra, the insert is square and deeply inset, and with the FLTRX its rounded as you show and more shallow of an insert, so I'm not sure if/how that would work.

Unless I'm missing something plainly obvious (which by no means would be the first time!)

·
Registered
849 Posts

Regards,

Calgaryglide
Do you happen to have a pic of the topside with the FLTRX insert removed?

E

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
Tank Dash

These are both Harley Part # 61270-08.

The top one is the stock tank dash from my 08 RG.

The bottom unit is from an Ultra with com port dash. The com port section does sit below the surface of the dash metal. It is glued on with a rubber gasket between the metal and the plastic plate.

There is a lip approx 1/8in deep that these plastic parts fit into on this style of tank dash.

The tank dash for the FLTRX and FLHX is part# 69214-08

Hope these photos help.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
487 Posts
Do you happen to have a pic of the topside with the FLTRX insert removed?

E
after you peel off the FLTRX emblem, it's just chrome under there. no holes or dimples, just smooth chrome. you will destroy that FLTRX emblem.

I replaced mine with an Arlen Ness insert because I didn't like the brushed aluminum/plastic look of the stock one.

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
Ernster500,

Sorry, I didn't read your question right, simply skipped to photos. Thanks to those that actually gave the proper info that E500 wanted. I guess in this case pictures weren't worth any words:D.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts