Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I have a RoadTech Zumo GPS/Bluetooth ..

I don't have a schmartt phone , I have a flipped out phone , but am thinking of a schmartt one

Question is this ..

How much data is being used with the GPS and surfing the web .. .

JtB

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
the big users of data are streaming audio/video. I'm no expert but it was explained to me like this: the phone has a gps chip in it so for gps it doesn't use much data however it will be looking for a cell tower which will eat up data.

I do use my phone for a gps most times and what I tend to do is if its a long trip I will turn the phone to airplane mode on the long stretches of road so its not killing the battery or using data trying to find its location.

I may be WAAAAY wrong though!

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Just use the GPS and you won't have any issues.
All I use is my Garmin Nuvi 1490 LMT on a Ram mount and my old fashion flip phone and I have no problems.
The GPS will tell you where hotels/motels are and gas stations and places to eat, what else do you need on a road trip.

·
Administrator
10,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing really needed , was just curious , the last road trip we made , my computer illiterate riding partner said :

What ya need to do is what you used to do , read a map ..

I use my RT as a high dollar mp3 player and BT device ..

Too easily caught up in technology

JtB

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I was trying my Samsung S5 GPS in my Mustang. I guess it went out of range, and I didn't notice. When it found another signal, I was past my turn, and got routed in the wrong direction. Once was enough for me. I bought another Garmin to replace my obsolete, broken one.
Also the smart phone volume was nowhere loud enough, even in a car.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I use my Samsung Galaxy S5 for GPS on occasion but mostly for streaming music via bluetooth. I've never had a problem with it either way. If you already have the Garmin you don't need to use a smartphone for GPS so I wouldn't worry about your data

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
I was told that the only data used was to figure the map / route , then it uses the satellite, just like the Garmin.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Just use the GPS and you won't have any issues.
All I use is my Garmin Nuvi 1490 LMT on a Ram mount and my old fashion flip phone and I have no problems.
The GPS will tell you where hotels/motels are and gas stations and places to eat, what else do you need on a road trip.
How bout access to the forum ? Try to get that on you groovy Garmin. :D

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
How bout access to the forum ? Try to get that on you groovy Garmin. :D
I always carry my laptop on long road trips and it works real good when in the motel after a day of riding. ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
GPS receiver is a hardware which is normally available in most smartphones. This receiver can fetch the location data from satellite FREE of cost. But this data is in raw form and you need an application (like Google Maps) which can actually process this data for you and show you the directions on a map.
Remember, GPS receiver does not help you with maps on its own. A map generally contains all the places embedded in it along with latitude and longitude information.

Once you download and install the maps and the application, you don’t need an internet connection on mobile i.e. no data charges would apply at the time of searching for locations while travelling.
This essentially means that if you do Not download the maps initially and try to use the GPS application to find directions while travelling, the application will try to download the maps on the fly and this will definitely need an active internet connection and hence the data charges on your mobile phone would apply.

Your location changes quite frequently while travelling pushing the GPS navigation application to download quite a number of maps and would consume good amount of data.
Google maps application is FREE to use but unfortunately they do not allow downloading of their maps.
Hence, you can’t access them offline or without internet as of now.

So, if you actually use Google maps to find directions using your own FREE GPS receiver (installed in your smartphone), it would still need your mobile internet connection to download maps on the go and show you directions.
So, even though you have a GPS receiver in your phone and GPS reception is FREE around the globe, you would still need to download and install the maps and the user application that helps you use the GPS information for navigation. There are many companies which provide maps and the navigation application free of costs and can be found on internet or Anroid and iPhone app stores.

The other alternative could be to pay a one time fee for downloading maps and application from a company like Garmin and then use them without using your phone’s internet connection. But remember that you may have to pay for downloading updated maps and application in future.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
The other alternative could be to pay a one time fee for downloading maps and application from a company like Garmin and then use them without using your phone’s internet connection. But remember that you may have to pay for downloading updated maps and application in future.

[email protected]
If you use a Garmin Nuvi GPS that has LM (Life Time Maps) you get 4 free map updates a year.
That is why I use the Garmin Nuvi 1490 LMT (the T is for traffic) with the Ram Mount. Been using this GPS for 3 years now and never needed to pay for a map update. The 1490 has been dependable and handles everything that a bike ride can throw at it such as vibration and rain.
The Nuvi is under $200 compared to a Zumo which is 3x to 4x the cost of a Nuvi and you have to pay for map updates for the Zumo.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have never been able to shake the old school paper map as my guide.
Years of truck driving, way before GPS came along, we replied on those paper maps, not some little 4 inch screen that doesn't tell me what is over those hills 25 miles away.
Yea, I have a smart phone. Use it for many things, including the Wi-Fi that everyplace has now.
But I'll stick to paper maps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree if you already have a GPS then use it as that is what it is designed for.
Any new Zumo comes with life time maps now, has for about 2 yrs now.

If you don't have or want to buy a dedicated GPS and you have a smart phone with the GPS chip then it is possible to use it with a 3rd party app to save on data.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I use my iPhone for GPS AND pandora radio when riding. Eats a ton of data (roughly 4-6GB/month) when I'm riding a lot and for long distances.

However I have unlimited data so I don't worry about it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was told that the only data used was to figure the map / route , then it uses the satellite, just like the Garmin.
It depends on the phone. My Blackberry Q10 has autonomous GPS which requires no cell towers to work. To use it that way you (autonomous) you have to download an app (several are available) that is not dependent on cell data.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts