Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped bike off today for cam install. 575L Dave Mackie cam, S&S lifters S&S push rods and bearings. I will update thread when I get the bike back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Keep us posted on the results have heard alot of good things about Mackie cams around my area.:grin:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. He said it will be a couple weeks.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Dropped bike off today for cam install. 575L Dave Mackie cam, S&S lifters S&S push rods and bearings. I will update thread when I get the bike back.

Looking forward to what you think

Your going to dig the passing & throttle response

Swomack

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking forward to what you think

Your going to dig the passing & throttle response

Swomack

I hope so. The sheets he showed me from the same cam are 95-98 hp and 110- 114 ftlbs. That will be way better then the stage one I got from dealer. It was 81hp 92ftlbs.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
My personal opinion as well as many others who agree aftermarket cams IMO perform way better than HD cams, i currently run Feuling reaper 525 cams in my 96 inch motor and love the power and smoothness, i almost installed Dave Mackie 510 cams which someone who i trust his opinion greatly runs them and loves DM products, you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Indy that is installing then builds Dave Mackie engine exclusively. He swears by them. He ran Dave Mackie heads on his drag bikes.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My personal opinion as well as many others who agree aftermarket cams IMO perform way better than HD cams, i currently run Feuling reaper 525 cams in my 96 inch motor and love the power and smoothness, i almost installed Dave Mackie 510 cams which someone who i trust his opinion greatly runs them and loves DM products, you cant go wrong.
Totally agree with this. EPA puts the squeeze on HD performance wise
There are so many good cams out that perform really well, no reason to use HD cams unless its to keep the warranty.
Besides warranty, if your going to go thru all the time and money, why not install cams that are not restricted by EPA and are overall better cams. So glad I choose to go the route I did. I had a brand new set of 255s I was going to install, sold them and got my money back.
To each their own I guess

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I agree with that 100%, there are plenty of aftermarket cams that really perform, all comes down to preference to really get the most out of your mods.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was my thinking. Why spend the money to have cams changed and get sub par performance. That’s why I went with after market. My dealer wanted 9 hours to install cams plus parts. 9 hours at 90 dollars an hour is ridiculous ! I figure the bike will be more reliable with less heat and better lifters to boot.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Most of us have heard about the problems with HD lifters. They can wipe out a lot of parts when they go south

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Change of plans. Got to thinking about a smoked motor and no warranty. Yes I know I am a coward. But to keep my marriage in tact I am having the dealer do 103 stage 3 kit with se585 cam. It’s not the best option out there but if something goes wrong the dealer will back there work.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Let your conscience be your guide. Im sure you will be plenty happy with it. Keep us posted on the progress. Did the dealership give you an idea of any numbers it should produce with that setup?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No not really but it has to better than my 81 hp 91 ft lbs stage 1. I have found a few graphs of the stage 3 that are around 97hp 115 ftlbs. The se585 cam is a higher torque cam. Not big hp that I can find. In my opinion the heads need to be done to get bigger or better number but I can only do so much at one time.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If they are going to change the push rods and they are pulling the heads you might want to consider the .030 Cometic head gasket and pump the compression up to around 10.0:1 or 10.1:1 I can't remember what it is but it will be one of those. I promise that will wake it up. Its also my understanding that those heads flow really well.

I have a buddy that had his heads ported and polished and put the bigger valves in it. We were running either the same cam or his was the 555 cam. I can't remember. My bike pulled him from a dig, 3rd gear roll on's and 6th gear roll ons.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If they are going to change the push rods and they are pulling the heads you might want to consider the .030 Cometic head gasket and pump the compression up to around 10.0:1 or 10.1:1 I can't remember what it is but it will be one of those. I promise that will wake it up. Its also my understanding that those heads flow really well.

I have a buddy that had his heads ported and polished and put the bigger valves in it. We were running either the same cam or his was the 555 cam. I can't remember. My bike pulled him from a dig, 3rd gear roll on's and 6th gear roll ons.

I am having 10.5-1 pistons put in it. No heads just pistons and cams.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Oh yeah that will wake it up. Ask them if you have to use their 585 cam. Looking at that numbers and reviews of it I don’t like it. I would think a 777 or tman 600 or higher cam would be freaking awesome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts