Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to install the Harley Daymaker fog lights on the fairing of my '15, so I have been acquiring the pieces here and there for the last year now. With the actual lights being on the pricey side, I waited until a close by dealer had a 20% off sale to finally purchase them. I also elected to get them from a dealer for the warranty as I have seen them on eBay a couple of times for decent prices, but no warranty. Throughout the last year I had purchased the chrome fairing mount kit part #68000183, auxiliary power switch kit part #71400105, and fog light button for the switch kit part #71400044. Earlier in the year I installed the auxiliary switch kit and removed the dummy plug on the left side of it in favor of the dedicated fog lamp button because it cuts down on any additional light wiring and looks clean too. So travel back in time with me to December 1, 2017 where I decided that this was the day my fairing would be introduced to fog lights. I proceeded to remove the fairing and lay out the mounting kit. The mounting kit comes with templates to drill into the sides of the fairing for a final ob-longed size of around 5/8". With the templates taped to the fairing for the drill guide and my 14 volt Milwaukee drill locked and loaded I pressed the drill up to the fairing. With the pressure increasing on my trigger finger I had a (beer) revelation. I'm getting these lights installed without drilling the fairing, I really didn't like the idea of putting holes in it and thought about how it would look to me if I ever had to remove this stuff someday with two nice holes sitting there. So my idea was to remove the turn signal assemblies and substitute them for the fog lamps. Pretty straight forward and easy. Unbolt the signal assemblies, remove the three wires from the back side of each plug and pull them through obviously saving the removed pieces for future use in the event you need them. Remove the wires from the plug on the fog lamps before putting the wires through the fairing and once they are through reassemble the connector. I am not a fan of cutting wires for no reason so this is why I suggest to disassemble the plug. Because the fogs are a little bigger and a little heavier I installed two 5/16" spring washers per side between the lamp and the mount to provide a little extra tension, a couple dabs of blue loctite and torque to spec while keeping them level and even. Reinstall the fairing as you normally would. To offset the fact that I now removed the turn signals I picked up the new windshield trim from Custom Dynamics in chrome and installed those. Wow that led windshield trim from CD is truly BADASS! Now with everything on and plugged in the lights work beautifully from the fog light button. I will have to wait until the first time I can ride at night to check my alignment, but at the end of the day my scooter has fog lights like I wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Nice rig! It looks like factory

·
Registered
293 Posts
Really like the way you think. Can’t stand to drill on the bike, and I sort of wanted my driving lights to be up higher, maybe if only to protect them from more likely taking a rock if mounted on the engine guards. I have Custom Dynamics Cool Magic Bullet Billets ready to mount, was planning on the engine guards, but this makes me stop to rethink. I’ll take a look tonight to see if they will work with the turn signals as your Daymakers did. Nice work. Great idea and very good looking.

·
Registered
968 Posts
This is brilliant (pun intended). Really nice job there!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2018 and have been looking for ideas on fog lamps. This is an awesome idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
What a great idea! I've been eyeing those fog lights since I got my RG in May. After having Daymaker lights on my Street Glide I felt the light output wasn't that great on the RG especially the wide spread. We have a lot of deer here to watch out for. I opted for the complete Custom Dynamics setup instead. I have the Tru-Beam head light with the small turn signal lights and windshield trim. It works great! I don't need fog lights now with the Tru-Beam but I may reconsider now since there's no drilling of the fairing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I love custom Dynamics product but geez did you really pay full price for those headlights from them, they are more pricey than the HDs ones, wish I could get a pair but way out of my budget, great job and upgrade nonetheless. As for those fog lights awesome jobs looks killer, job well done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I apologize in advance, but I don't understand the turn signal part, are the passing lights also the turn signals?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts