Road Glide banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Roadglide, I had the radio replaced and ever since the daymaker headlights seem to vibrate. I had the inner fairing off fixing a burned out gauge bulb and notice my outer fairing does not sit on the hooks, just a little above. Does the inner fairing and or the radio bracket have an adjustment? It did not rattle-vibrate before and the light looks instl. looks good. Any ideas what i can adjust to get the fairing to sit on the hooks? Thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
the radio bracket does not. The inner... a little bit. but if it fit before, that's not likely the problem.

Is the FARING rattling, or are the headlamps rattling?

Most likely there's a wire sandwiched between the outer and the inner preventing it from seating properly. Also check that you've got those 'fins' on the outside edges (by the glove boxes) lined up right.

Also check your headlamp -- does it rattle if you grab it by hand (with outer faring off)? It took me a few times, but I kept tigheting up the bolts until I had to press and tap it in very firmly to get the tabs to click. This made sure that the thing was as tight to the outer faring as possible.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
Remove the daymaker "bulbs" before you assemble the fairing. That way you can see the hooks. Once you have the fairing seated, install the "bulbs" and bezel.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
The head light assembly should be loose. If the headlight assembly is pulled in tight to where it can't move then it is very difficult to adjust the headlights correctly.
Like PGR suggested you should pull the headlights and check if the outer is sitting on the hooks, you could have a wire bundle on the hooks preventing the outer from sitting on the hook correctly.
The radio bracket shouldn't have been removed or loosened when doing the radio R&R but if it was it can be adjusted up or down a little.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The head light assembly should be loose. If the headlight assembly is pulled in tight to where it can't move then it is very difficult to adjust the headlights correctly.
Like PGR suggested you should pull the headlights and check if the outer is sitting on the hooks, you could have a wire bundle on the hooks preventing the outer from sitting on the hook correctly.
The radio bracket shouldn't have been removed or loosened when doing the radio R&R but if it was it can be adjusted up or down a little.
I had to get that center post pulled tight on mine so my lights didn't bounce like a dance party; they weren't hard to adjust. Maybe I did it wrong tho.

Slider: to be honest, whatever advice mark gives you, listen to it -- dude really knows his stuff.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys The headlights and the fairing both rattle. I did have the headlights off when installing the fairing thats how i know its not sitting on the hooks. Just slightly above the hooks, no pinched wires. I will look at the bracket for bolt marks and see if it got moved. The fins are lined up correct so thats not an issue. This did not start until the radio R and R i bet they pulled the bracket. It took them 3 hours to R and R the radio. I have done the outer off and on in 40 mins. before. If i slightly push down on the radio cover on the inner fairing no rattle. I guess I am gonna pull it all back apart and eyeball everything.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
If they took the radio support bracket off to do the radio R&R then there may be a possibility that the inner fairing slid down a little bit. The inner fairing has vertical slots in the holes and can be adjusted up or down a little bit too. It sounds like the inner slide down and is hitting the top of the radio bracket causing the rattle you hear.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Slider make sure the outer fairing is clear of the radio brackets,. I had two nice grooves in the outer fairing caused from rubbing on the radio brackets caught it before it when all the way through. I cut the radio bracket down to give extra clearance for the outer fairing last time I took it off to install daymakers it was OK no wearing of the fairing.

PS: took me two hours to get the fairing back on the hangers after putting daymakers on; couldn't do it the way PGR said.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Slider make sure the outer fairing is clear of the radio brackets,. I had two nice grooves in the outer fairing caused from rubbing on the radio brackets caught it before it when all the way through. I cut the radio bracket down to give extra clearance for the outer fairing last time I took it off to install daymakers it was OK no wearing of the fairing.

PS: took me two hours to get the fairing back on the hangers after putting daymakers on; couldn't do it the way PGR said.

Couldn't or didn't?

I had all kinds of trouble until I removed the headlight, then it was a kick in the pants wondering why in the heck I didn't do it that way before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.