Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading to Daytona in a few weeks, never been before. We are staying in Ormond beach. Any suggestions/tips on things to do outside of the strip? Was thinking of riding to cape canaveral, would like to do one of those air boat rides I see on tv all the time.. any other suggestions would be appreciated. Disney is probably too big and too crowded this time of year so thats probably out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
+1 on St Augustine. Just take SR40 east to Beach Blvd then north onto old dixie hwy to A1A then A1A north to St Augustine. Its a beautiful ride. Make sure to stop at Pizza Time 124 Saint George St, Best Pizza you'll
ever eat, and that's coming from someone born and raised in NYC. Plan on spending a few hours to walk around and sight see. Avoid Orlando at any cost.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
+1 On St Augustine staying in Ormond Beach you are probably on or close to A1A , take A1A north along the ocean to St Augustine
Daytona Speedway loaded with vendors, food,and drink plenty of free parking for bikes
Destination Daytona (Rossmeyers HD) same as the speedway but with music and parking close will cost $
Main St Daytona drinking, music, vendors, people watching, did I mention drinking, if you go parking on a side street will cost $5-10.00 good all day. Save your receipt you can check out the action on Main St go for ride and come back later the same day and park for free
The Target store across from Daytona Speedway is usually a Meet and Greet around 11:00 on the first week-end, keep checking the forum for further info
For the airboat rides you need to go inland towards Christmas unless you want the Everglades then further south, make sure you call ahead for reservations. Christmas Fl approximately one hour, Everglades three and a half
Any questions shoot me a PM
Extended weather forecast looks good

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
When did they start charging for parking at Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona? I know I haven't been there in a couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Here is what i remember, but it's been 4 or 5 years:
The A1A up to St Augustine is a cool ride. Destination Daytona has a lot of vendors and stuff. There is a ride called the loop that is pretty just north of Ormond Beach. The dealer at New Smyrna usually has a few vendors and stuff going on (I distinctly remember the bikini bike wash). They used to have a big thing on Beach Street, don't know if they still do or not. If you take the A1A south there is a cool lighthouse with a great bar/restaurant, sorry, can't remember the name but it is just south of Daytona, maybe a 10-15 minute ride south of Main Street.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
direwolf last year Kevin(Uncle Fuzzy on the forum) when in from the front side and was charged to park. Part of the issue could be they use to park in the field by JP Cycles but that is a recreational dealer now
Bleachy you could be talking about Ponce Inlet great place to visit and yes the "bikini bike wash" girls remember you too, the distinguished gentleman from Indy

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
direwolf last year Kevin(Uncle Fuzzy on the forum) when in from the front side and was charged to park. Part of the issue could be they use to park in the field by JP Cycles but that is a recreational dealer now

Bleachy you could be talking about Ponce Inlet great place to visit and yes the "bikini bike wash" girls remember you too, the distinguished gentleman from Indy

Damn, well it's been two years since I stopped by Destination Daytona so I'll take your word on it. Last couple years I usually hit the speedway & then the Ironhorse to David Allan Coe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet thanks, I am going to do an airboat ride at some point and am still looking at websites.. St. Augustine sounds great we will check that out for sure

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ride The Loop then head up A1A to St. Augustine a beautiful ride, you can also ride out to DeLeon Springs and the Fountain of Youth. You can also head south to New Smyrna Beach a really nice beach not as commercialized as Daytona. If you're staying in Ormond Beach area hit the White Eagle always a good time. Don't miss the Cole SlawWrestling at the Cabbage Patch either...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Parking at destination is free I believe, if you park in the back and make the hike to the vendors. I pay the 5 bucks to park close to the festivities. I am only there for a short time; thats not where the good times are. You have to find the hole in the wall bars where you can get $2 beers all day.

We generally only hit Main St at night and ride all day.

Here are some spots we hit, no specific order. You will have to look them up. Guaranteed good time if you land at one of these spots the same time my group is there.

Chris's lounge
Cabbage patch
Townline Lounge & Package
The Crooks Den
Waldens Tavern
The Beaver Bar
Biggins
Diamond Dolls
Softtails
Grandview

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
The loop. The only curvy roads in the area. Lived there from 81 through 85. Road the loop many times. We didn't know it was the loop back then. LOL! More houses there now. Study the maps of the area. You can avoid many of the traffic laden roads if you plan accordingly.

Back then I rode inline engine motorcycles. The guys on main street called them 'rice burners'. I didn't care. I was 19 and free!

Riding the beach is an experience. Don't think I would do it now on an expensive road glide.

When you are riding A1A be prepared to be pelted with sand crystals if it is winds are blowing.

A good day trip would be heading west to silver springs and experience what Florida was once like. It is a nice ride through the Ocala National Forest.

Not sure where you are going to get in an authentic "air boat" ride like you see on TV that far north of the everglades.

Mind the speed limits and watch for blue hairs that can barely see over the steering wheel. They usually only started driving after their husband passed away.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Parking at destination is free I believe, if you park in the back and make the hike to the vendors. I pay the 5 bucks to park close to the festivities. I am only there for a short time; thats not where the good times are. You have to find the hole in the wall bars where you can get $2 beers all day.

We generally only hit Main St at night and ride all day.

Here are some spots we hit, no specific order. You will have to look them up. Guaranteed good time if you land at one of these spots the same time my group is there.

Chris's lounge
Cabbage patch
Townline Lounge & Package
The Crooks Den
Waldens Tavern
The Beaver Bar
Biggins
Diamond Dolls
Softtails
Grandview
Is the old Boothill saloon on Main St. still around? Is it still a little dive bar? Just looked it up. Not the same place and now a tourist destination where it used to be a MC bar that you don't go to if you don't belong there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is the old Boothill saloon on Main St. still around? Is it still a little dive bar? Just looked it up. Not the same place and now a tourist destination where it used to be a MC bar that you don't go to if you don't belong there.
During Bikeweek and Biketoberfest it is a tourist destination with 6 dollar domestics and 10-12 mixed drinks. This goes for anything on Main St. We only party there at night. Off season, it is pretty tame. I haven't had any issues with MC's in any of the bars down there but, that environment doesn't bother me in the first place.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Heading to Daytona in a few weeks, never been before. We are staying in Ormond beach. Any suggestions/tips on things to do outside of the strip? Was thinking of riding to cape canaveral, would like to do one of those air boat rides I see on tv all the time.. any other suggestions would be appreciated. Disney is probably too big and too crowded this time of year so thats probably out.
Thanks for starting this thread! Now I don't have to totally "wing it". And I'll have some things to do after the official end of bike week.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ed Walden's Bar on Beach Street if you want a real biker dive bar. I can walk to it from my house in Daytona. It's the best.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Be careful planning anything around A1A north of Ormond beach (like towards St. Augustine) because much of it was washed out during hurricane Matthew. So parts of it may still be out.

I did see $5 parking at Destination Daytona up front last Saturday, but I just go around the back and park where it's free ... The walk ain't that bad if you get there early ... Band was great.

Watch for deer on Hwy 40, frequent dusk/dawn sightings ... and they do try to cross the Hwy rather suddenly from time to time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I went to DBW every year 1991-2007. In the '90s, it was fun, going toward the last year I went, it sucked. Traffic, cops, crowds, wrecks.

If you go, spend some time south, on Cocoa Beach. More fun IMHO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts