Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do this? My dealer told me yesterday he dont care about the cat or what header I use. Just cannot use an aftermarket tuner. I'm not getting killed with heat. But it would be nice to take that away. And sound better. With these medical Bill's piling up a new header is out of the question.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I do not have a trike, but if it uses the same header, I have a HD OEM de-catted header on my bike, with the HD tune. I got it off the auction site for a pretty good price, that way I still have my stock header, just in case. Dealer has never said anything about it.

Reactions: RFG7680

·
Registered
960 Posts
I believe every dealer is different on this. Just depends on which one you ask. The 2 dealers closest to me say 2 different things. One says what yours says and the other says you have to use H-D branded stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RFG7680 and madmat

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I believe every dealer is different on this. Just depends on which one you ask. The 2 dealers closest to me say 2 different things. One says what yours says and the other says you have to use H-D branded stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thinking is more along these lines, too much inconsistency amongst dealers with this. I barely trust my local dealer but if you travel you roll the dice, and the stakes are high.

I might be a little paranoid but I have read so many horror stories it still concerns me.

The other thing is, are there any gains to removing the cat on a trike. A lot on the other forum about back pressure and how sensitive the M8 is to changes. I would do a little reading before you assume you gain something from removing it John.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya. I'm on the fence. I do travel a lot. If something happens here I'm good. Somewhere else they'll hear it's to loud to have a Cat and tell me piss off.

Thanks Matt. I didnt consider that part. If it was an around town bike. I'd do it. But now that you mentioned that. I'll wait.

Funny comment the wife made when I got home. Dont put too many miles on "her" trike. Lol.

They're dropping 4500 off a bike if I want it. I'm not doing it. But she has an idea that I'll he back on 2 wheels next year some time.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not have a trike, but if it uses the same header, I have a HD OEM de-catted header on my bike, with the HD tune. I got it off the auction site for a pretty good price, that way I still have my stock header, just in case. Dealer has never said anything about it.
Same header. Difference is I can use any mufflers from 99 up. The drop down from the header is the reduced.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds as if SHE knows her man better than HE does? roll with your gut, and she sounds like a genuine keeper.
Ya. She's definitely the one. This summer was our 25th anniversary. Been together near 30. I told her if she ever left me I'd have to go with her. Lol.

We'll see on the bike at the end of next season. See how I feel. See what they have left over. With the savings I get it makes sense to get a left over.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did mine myself, takes about 20-30 mins and no welding required.

1) Take right hand slip-on off
2) Take a long drill bit and look into you header and you will see the cat
3) Start drilling around the edges, making sure you go right through the cat
4) It should take about 6-8 holes to loosen the cat (depending on drill bit diameter)
5) Stand clear and start you bike and blow the cat out, if it dont come out go back to step 3
6) Use a torch to check all remnants of the cat are gone, if not use a long chisel to free any remaining pieces
7) Go back to step 5 and repeat as necessary
8) Replace slip-on
10) Ride with less heat and louder exhaust :)

The cat is only glued in, some come out very easily some need a bit more help.
The advantage of doing this way are:
1)Cheaper
2) Less obvious as no welds on header

Reactions: madmat and RFG7680

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes I put Svt Bone Shacker slip ons and Rinehart slim line headers with Screaming Eagle Pro street Tuner on my 2019 CVO RG

·
Registered
337 Posts
Anyone do this? My dealer told me yesterday he dont care about the cat or what header I use. Just cannot use an aftermarket tuner. I'm not getting killed with heat. But it would be nice to take that away. And sound better. With these medical Bill's piling up a new header is out of the question.
Did the same as FLTRXS18 bought decatted header on fleebay for 150.00 clean pipe not cut. Switched it from my 17 to my 19 and still have catted pipe to put back on. Been to dealer with transfer problem they said nothing to me when they did warranty work.Can't say sounded much different but did eliminate the heat

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Removing the CAT will not affect the tune enough to notice and you will get a minimal sound change. If you remove the CAT just run a few Smart Tune sessions and re-flash each time and that will take care of any minor changes it may need to make. Now one other thing to consider is.... It's cool if your dealer says it's OK to de-cat the header and you have issues local and they will take care of your warranty. What if you have an issue while on a road trip and the dealer you have to take it to is not as lenient? Now I think most would not care but the MoCo has put out specific instruction to the service departments on checking out the bike and making sure it stays EPA compliant. Up to you as to how much of a risk you want to take.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Ya. I'm on the fence. I do travel a lot. If something happens here I'm good. Somewhere else they'll hear it's to loud to have a Cat and tell me piss off.

Thanks Matt. I didnt consider that part. If it was an around town bike. I'd do it. But now that you mentioned that. I'll wait.

Funny comment the wife made when I got home. Dont put too many miles on "her" trike. Lol.

They're dropping 4500 off a bike if I want it. I'm not doing it. But she has an idea that I'll he back on 2 wheels next year some time.

Just read this. If you think there is a chance that you will be trading the Trike then you might want to just leave it alone and just ride it. Too much time and effort if you are just going to get rid of it right down the road. Just my 2 pennies...

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just read this. If you think there is a chance that you will be trading the Trike then you might want to just leave it alone and just ride it. Too much time and effort if you are just going to get rid of it right down the road. Just my 2 pennies...
If I do go backnto a bike. I'll trade the wifes 15 Freewheeler in on a new one. This 114" is a keeper.

That may push back the RG front end. She wouldn't want it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts