Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly reminder to put fresh batteries in your key fob. No fun sitting in a gas station with a bike you cant ride because the alarm cannot be disarmed. Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,134 Posts
This happened to a guy in our group on a New years Day ride a few years ago. When I bought my bike that had security one of the first thing I did was put a pack of batteries in my emergency kit that is always on the bike.

There is a code to over ride it. You turn the bike on, and then hold both turn signals in. dashes will appear in your odometer, and the you use the turn signals to change the number and move on to the next digit. Once the code is entered you can start the bike. The dealer told me the code and made sure I could make it work before they let me leave on the bike.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read that you can enter the code manually, but I bought the bike from a private party and by the time I figured I needed it he did not have the code. My intention was to go to the dealership and have them reset this for me before I got in this situation, but I forgot. Thanks for reminder to get that done! Also extra battery stored on bike is great idea.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I read that you can enter the code manually, but I bought the bike from a private party and by the time I figured I needed it he did not have the code. My intention was to go to the dealership and have them reset this for me before I got in this situation, but I forgot. Thanks for reminder to get that done! Also extra battery stored on bike is great idea.
you shouldn't need the dealer to do anything if you have a functioning key fob.. instructions are below.

Setting or Changing Your Security System Alarm Override PIN

Button less fobs (Smart FOB)

1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press Left turn signal switch 3 times.

4. Press Right turn signal switch one time and release.
*Turn signals will flash 3 times. Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

5. Enter first digit (a) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (a) times.

6. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit (a) will replace the current in the odometer window.

7. Enter second digit (b) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (b) times.

8. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit will replace the current in odometer window.

9. Enter the third digit (c) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (c) times.

10. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
*The new digit (c) will replace the current in the odometer window.

11. Enter forth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (d) times.

12. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

13. Enter the fifth digit (e) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (e) times.
*The new digit (e) will replace the current in the odometer window.

14. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

15. Before the module rearms, turn ignition key to OFF.
* The odometer will return to mileage display.
**Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new pin in the module.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
Check the last 5 digits of the vin. If last owner never changed it , that's usually what it's set to leaving the dealer.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
I just passed 6-years with my original batteries. Good reminder. I need to do that before heading to TX.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just swapped mine out yesterday.:D

·
Registered
816 Posts
Did it start ight up after the battery swap at the gas station?
( I know about the dead fob battery, happened in my garage before)

I ask because there is anecdotal instances of some Harley's with security
not starting near gas pumps. Happened to me 3 times, twice at gas stations,
once in a library parking lot in Gaspe'. Has to do with wireless modems or something overpowering the fobs or something. When you push the bike away from whatever it is, they will start.

One of the times at a gas station, the attendant saw me frigging with the bike, called over the intercom and said to push it away from the pump, so she had seen it before also.......

·
Registered
852 Posts
Did it start ight up after the battery swap at the gas station?
( I know about the dead fob battery, happened in my garage before)

I ask because there is anecdotal instances of some Harley's with security
not starting near gas pumps. Happened to me 3 times, twice at gas stations,
once in a library parking lot in Gaspe'. Has to do with wireless modems or something overpowering the fobs or something. When you push the bike away from whatever it is, they will start.

One of the times at a gas station, the attendant saw me frigging with the bike, called over the intercom and said to push it away from the pump, so she had seen it before also.......
Had this happen to me at a gas station in Presidio TX. Alarm was screaming, fob didn't work and I had just put a new battery before the trip. Glad I also had my override code. No issues for the rest of the trip. I'm like JTB change the batteries in the fobs every year.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
For what it worth....I work for an automotive manufacturer in the Quality Assurance Improvement depth and our electronic engineers are looking into early battery failures in our fobs. Seems to be a link to placing key fobs next to microwaves and other devices with magnets. Might be something to consider.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
For what it worth....I work for an automotive manufacturer in the Quality Assurance Improvement depth and our electronic engineers are looking into early battery failures in our fobs. Seems to be a link to placing key fobs next to microwaves and other devices with magnets. Might be something to consider.

Yep, I have been told to keep fobs away from cell phones. I don't place them in the same pocket or in the same glove box.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the bike started just fine after replacing the battery. Interesting to hear about the nearness to wifi signals. Will try to remember that if any issues in the future arise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts