Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forum Member Deadstroke contacted me about coating his engine parts. I'm really excited about this project and since my albums are practically full, I thought I'd document the process from beginning to end......

Pictures attached are of all the items to be coated after being de-greased and ready to be taped off before heading to the Media cabinet.......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Parts ready to be taped off..........Shift arms were done in a contrast cut finish (pics posted IN HIS BUILD THREAD)........Not pictured are the fender rails & Kickstand assembly. I'll update pics as I progress over the next 2 weekends with this project.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,313 Posts
Subscribing, I want to see how this goes.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made quite a bit of headway today, but MAN am I TIRED of taping off parts!!! LOL....Most folks think that powder coating is just shooting some powder and then it bakes & magically pretty stuff comes outta the easy bake oven.......well, the main reason for this thread is to show the entire process. With any parts as this engine project, any surface that comes into contact with a gasket I feel should be undisturbed (some powder everything....I think it needs to be taped off).....The following are a few pics of some parts taped off before the parts go into the Media Cabinet for blasting....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Several items out of the media cabinet and protective tape removed. Now heading to the oven for a process called "Gassing Out"..... gets any impurities out of the pours of the metal. 2nd pic is the Rocker tops & bases taped off & ready for the Media Cabinet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tappet Blocks - Pushrod spring caps & Cam Cover side plate in High Gloss.....Side plate was a pain in the arse, BUT- I think saving the bar & shield outline detail looks sharp.........

Have some parts to shoot in a different texture tomorrow......will post pics tomorrow night. Then the Primary Cover, Derby Cover and Tranny Side Cover (if I don't get it done tomorrow) will have to wait until next weekend.........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Tappet Blocks - Pushrod spring caps & Cam Cover side plate in High Gloss.....Side plate was a pain in the arse, BUT- I think saving the bar & shield outline detail looks sharp.........

Have some parts to shoot in a different texture tomorrow......will post pics tomorrow night. Then the Primary Cover, Derby Cover and Tranny Side Cover (if I don't get it done tomorrow) will have to wait until next weekend.........
Why is the harley emblem taped...? Parts are looking good...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day 2 of taping & shooting...........Everything is completed except for the Tranny Side cover - Primary & Derby.....They will have to wait for next weekend.........

Tappet Blocks & spring caps in High Gloss..........Pushrod tube covers & spring clips in Satin......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts