Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had a dealer willing to install aftermarket bars on a new bike sale? Just curious.....I'm gonna be spending $$$$$$$$ and I don't think it's a big ask as I am paying for a color-matched inner fairing too...and almost certainly the black H-D clocks from the P&A book on a RG standard. So while the tech is in the area, ''why not install these KST 10in Outlaws for me?''

None of the H-D bars ring my bell. Too tall, wrong curves, wrong lines.

Any experiences, or is this a ''voiding warranty, sir'' no-no? :serious:

(I've got 25+ years riding, spannering and installing bars on older Harleys and never usually go near dealerships, so this is kinda new territory for me)

·
Super Moderator
2,866 Posts
Depends on what kind of bars in my experience. If you're going with something like Yaffe Monkey Bars, they're notoriously hard to fish the cables through, so I've seen quoted of up to 12 hours here in the U. S. It's not one of their favourite tasks, but a reasonable estimate would be 2 to 4 hours I'd think for the Outlaws. Shouldn't void the warranty.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Honestly do it yourself; not that hard of a task.

I would focus most on factory branded accessories you may be interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
My dealer wants 9 hours to do bars. It takes less than 2. Only reason I had my dealer do mine was I shamed them into only charging me 2 because it was stored there for the winter and they know I used to have my own shop. So they did it. They charged my buddy who's a salesman there 7 hours ro do his.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.....wow being charged 7-9-10+ hours to change bars is shocking....I hear what you are all saying. LOL I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too was quoted 12 hours and the dealer I bought the bike at said they'd give me a deal and charge me 10 hours! The one dealer insisted I needed to take off the fairing and add extension cables and wiring on 12" bars, I just shook my head and left. I'm just doing it myself, every video looks fairly straight forward and a buddy has done it a few times on his bikes. He had Yaffe bars but said they trashed his wires after some time in there and were a bitch to do. I'm adding KST 10 or 12" Renegades or a set from Todd cycles, not sure yet. One trick I've seen is if you get a set of good bars that have no burrs, you can take the black wire wrap off and the wires go right through.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Dealer did mine, took them 3 hrs, had a few other things done that made the labor take a bit longer, if they are quoting 9 hrs its got to be a mistake

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dealer did mine, took them 3 hrs, had a few other things done that made the labor take a bit longer, if they are quoting 9 hrs its got to be a mistake
What was funny is the parts guy who I was working with said (after we were out of ears shot from the service dept.) yeah that's like a 2-4 hour job

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
What was funny is the parts guy who I was working with said (after we were out of ears shot from the service dept.) yeah that's like a 2-4 hour job
If you have done any older bikes handle bars before with running wires internal you can certainly do it on a Rushmore bike. 2-4 hours is absolutely a good starting estimate with the 4hrs being if you take your time and keep going back to watch a few videos while doing it and the bars are meathook style. A seasoned tech can do that job in less than 2hrs easily. I'm actually surprised that there are dealers out there still trying to charge over 4-5 hours for a bar swap on a Rushmore bike. I have heard of several that have been quoting a more realistic time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you have done any older bikes handle bars before with running wires internal you can certainly do it on a Rushmore bike. 2-4 hours is absolutely a good starting estimate with the 4hrs being if you take your time and keep going back to watch a few videos while doing it and the bars are meathook style. A seasoned tech can do that job in less than 2hrs easily. I'm actually surprised that there are dealers out there still trying to charge over 4-5 hours for a bar swap on a Rushmore bike. I have heard of several that have been quoting a more realistic time.

First time doing bars, taking my time removal took 1 hour including removal of wires. Wiring took 30 minutes(taking my time), and install took another hour, took longer to adjust the clamps and bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've done 3 sets so far on Rushmore Road Glides and it is very simple to do. Its also gratifying knowing you did it yourself, and it will give you confidence to do other things to your bike. Make sure you have a good lamp chain, electrical tape, lube and have at it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just did mine - F47 12 inch bars on a 2018 Road Glide Ultra. Took my time, and it is not that hard. My only real error was not having lamp chain and thinking I could use some sheathed cable I had laying around...nope. Fishing the wires through on the throttle side took a little doing...but other than that really easy.

Incidentally, getting the factory grip off on the left was CAKE using blasts from my air compressor under the grip. Popped pretty easily with no damage to the grip.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Has anyone had a dealer willing to install aftermarket bars on a new bike sale? Just curious.....I'm gonna be spending $$$$$$$$ and I don't think it's a big ask as I am paying for a color-matched inner fairing too...and almost certainly the black H-D clocks from the P&A book on a RG standard. So while the tech is in the area, ''why not install these KST 10in Outlaws for me?''

None of the H-D bars ring my bell. Too tall, wrong curves, wrong lines.

Any experiences, or is this a ''voiding warranty, sir'' no-no? :serious:

(I've got 25+ years riding, spannering and installing bars on older Harleys and never usually go near dealerships, so this is kinda new territory for me)
Got qtd 6 hours without them asking which bars. Put on the KST Straight jackets in around 2.5 hrs taking my time and after working a 12 hr shift and half asleep.

Would be an 1-1.5 hr job the second time around for me. No issues so far, put 100 miles on today to test them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Not saying some can not do it them self. Read the many post on the net that go like this. Yea screw the stealer I did my own bars in no time. Wait then read the other thread , why is my TWB not working , my lights don't work. Seen some major screw ups . seem some work just fine.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think the big part is not to "pull" the wires, but rather "push" them through using the pull chain to guide the wires around corners.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
When we're talking about '13 and down bikes, I think labor estimates of 8-10 hours could be justified. Those were really labor intensive, especially if you had to extend the wires. Cut, splice, solder, heat shrink each individual wire, then try to force that huge bundle through some 90 bends? It was a real SOB and it took time.

However, when they went to the Rushmore bikes, it seems like they kept the same labor estimates. That's crazy. The newer bikes are 10 times easier. You don't even have to de-pin the connectors. It's a couple of hours tops, unless your bars are tall enough to require new clutch and brake lines, then add a couple more hours.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Dealer is willing but they overestimate the time and parts. Won't even go 12" without extending clutch and brake lines. Did it myself. Certain 14" would be just fine,just like most manufacturors say.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts