Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so what would you do if you were in this situation.

Here is what happened in chronological order.
1. I installed stage 2 from the harley dealership and asked them to dyno tune it. Dyno cost itself was over $500.

2. When I got the bike back I realized that the numbers are way below what others were getting on the same set up. But at least bike rode fun. It was very aggressive and wanted to go.

3. From the day I got it it kept throwing engine code at me. They replaced oxygen sensor and it didn’t fix so they retuned it. All for free.

4. When I got the bike back it was not throwing engine code anymore but bike feels way too under powered. I tried to get used to it but it just was dangerously lacking power in low RPM to where I didnt feel safe merging to traffic from a stop sign.

5. I decided to get a can tune from FM and looked at the tune that the dealer did while downloading FM’s tune. There was two in there 1. RS 475 tune and 2. Original tune. I’m guessing original tune is what my bike had before doing the cam.

6. First of all that was not the cam I got ( I got RS 468) and 1. Had exact same AFR lamda as the 2. Also both tunes had my cylinder as 110 when mine is 107.

7. After installing the FM tune I am confident that dealer mistuned my bike. FM’s tune makes the bine run aggresively without throwing any codes. I don’t lack power anymore.

What would you guys do in this situation? I mean they really messed up the dyno work that I requested but they were nice in re looking at my bike 4-5 times that I brought it back because I had issues. Everything was done for free. Should I just treat this as lesson learned?

would you guys demand refund or anything like that in this case?

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
you can try to talk to them and see if they'll do anything for you, but since you've basically replaced the tune that they did, i wouldn't expect much.

Reactions: ALMOONEY

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can try to talk to them and see if they'll do anything for you, but since you've basically replaced the tune that they did, i wouldn't expect much.
I mean their tune is still in the power vision but yeah since they retuned it and everything I thought kinda same

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Have a talk with the general manager. Most likely no owner around. Step by step detail what was ask for what was done what happened. Each step show the paper work. Ask for a full refund..
HD dealer is not the place to go for this kind of work.
You have now seen first hand how a place like FM can hand you a map that makes your bike run as it should.
If you purchased the tuner from FM they gave you the map. Not charge you $500.
Looks like dealer loaded a Dyno jet canned map and maybe tried to make it work. You got taken.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have a talk with the general manager. Most likely no owner around. Step by step detail what was ask for what was done what happened. Each step show the paper work. Ask for a full refund..
HD dealer is not the place to go for this kind of work.
You have now seen first hand how a place like FM can hand you a map that makes your bike run as it should.
If you purchased the tuner from FM they gave you the map. Not charge you $500.
Looks like dealer loaded a Dyno jet canned map and maybe tried to make it work. You got taken.
Yeah very well learned.
After riding around for a year or two I will try to find a reputable tuner lime FM for future dyno. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Fuel moto does the same in the engine displacement. I think it is to fool the ecm to give it more fuel. Even with my 6.9 injectors on my 128 it is something crazy higher

Reactions: Vec

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel moto does the same in the engine displacement. I think it is to fool the ecm to give it more fuel. Even with my 6.9 injectors on my 128 it is something crazy higher
I see, I was wondering because their tune that they sent me had 107 in the displacement. Did you take it for dyno?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I see, I was wondering because their tune that they sent me had 107 in the displacement. Did you take it for dyno?
My dyno guy is backed way up, last I checked was 70ish bikes. I need to get back on the list for sure

·
Registered
575 Posts
I had a similar scenario.

Bought 2019 bike new from excellent dealer 250 miles away.

Every upgrade I wanted installed pre-delivery. This included H-D torque cam, aftermarket pipes and intake, and DynoJet Power Vision - on high recommendation from several custom bike shop owners of my aquaintance. And from folks on here. Dealer had no issue with installing aftermarket stuff.

Bike ''tuned'' at the dealer with canned map (they had no rolling road) and out the door I went. I got a great deal and was very happy.

Coming straight off a Shovelhead, I assumed my bike was 100% tuned and it really did seem powerful.

Fast forward 8 months and the dealer way closer to me who was servicing the bike under warranty said: ''This bike really doesn't go as it should with the parts fitted, Dave. Very underpowered. We highly recommend letting our DynoJet-trained head mechanic having it for an hour or two on our rolling road.''

I did just that, and their Dynojet paperwork told the truth. On the graph, BEFORE and AFTER difference was 30% more HP at peak, 10% more torque. NO parts were swapped out.

Selling dealer had fitted a canned map ''closest'' to the set-up I had, but I have not seen another RG anywhere here with the same set-up I have. I realised that taking it back to that shop would not produce the correct result. They had no rolling road, nor the level of expertise required.

But that was OK. Lesson learned. I invested an extra couple of hundred bucks at the servicing dealership knowing they would get the right result. I want it tuned once and tuned right, set and forget. That's what happened.

Go to a known expert who has a rolling road. Accept that your dealer is good at some things, not everything.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a similar scenario.

Bought 2019 bike new from excellent dealer 250 miles away.

Every upgrade I wanted installed pre-delivery. This included H-D torque cam, aftermarket pipes and intake, and DynoJet Power Vision - on high recommendation from several custom bike shop owners of my aquaintance. And from folks on here. Dealer had no issue with installing aftermarket stuff.

Bike ''tuned'' at the dealer with canned map (they had no rolling road) and out the door I went. I got a great deal and was very happy.

Coming straight off a Shovelhead, I assumed my bike was 100% tuned and it really did seem powerful.

Fast forward 8 months and the dealer way closer to me who was servicing the bike under warranty said: ''This bike really doesn't go as it should with the parts fitted, Dave. Very underpowered. We highly recommend letting our DynoJet-trained head mechanic having it for an hour or two on our rolling road.''

The Dynojet paperwork told the truth. On the graph, BEFORE and AFTER difference was 30% more HP at peak, 10% more torque. NO parts were swaped out. Selling dealer had fitted a canned map ''closest'' to the set-up I had, but I have not seen another RG anywhere here with the same set-up I have. And I realised instantly that taking it back to that shop would not produce the correct result. They had no rolling road, nor the level of expertise required.

But that was OK. Lesson learned. I invested an extra couple of hundred bucks at the servicing dealership knowing they would get the right result. I want it tuned once and tuned right, set and forget.

Go to a known expert who has a rolling road. Accept that your dealer is good at some things, not everything.

30,000 miles later I have zero regrets and i KNOW the bike is running right.
Hey,

thanks for sharing. Yeah I think I am in the same shoes now. I will wait till I find the right one.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You shouldn’t be required to pay fo something that you got zero benefit from. They can‘t hardly say that you didn’t give them a opportunity to correct their mistake because you did, and they failed, at which point you obviously lost confidence in their abilities and was forced to go elsewhere to get it right. You would not be out of line to ask for a refund which they might reject but, at very least they should give you a credit for future service work in the amount you spent.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,346 Posts
Yup, lesson learned. With only a handful of exceptions, I wouldn't take my bike to any HD dealer in the country. Most of them have a tech that has relatively little experience on dynos and you're asking for a very expensive potential repair bill if they screw it up enough. Search out an independent performance bike shop in your area. The good ones tend to be regional in nature, drawing customers from several states. Do your homework by asking around and you'll quickly zoom in on the right shop. Good luck in regards to getting any satisfaction from the dealer. I think you would have had to approach them with your continued dissatisfaction before you had FM re-do the tune.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup, lesson learned. With only a handful of exceptions, I wouldn't take my bike to any HD dealer in the country. Most of them have a tech that has relatively little experience on dynos and you're asking for a very expensive potential repair bill if they screw it up enough. Search out an independent performance bike shop in your area. The good ones tend to be regional in nature, drawing customers from several states. Do your homework by asking around and you'll quickly zoom in on the right shop. Good luck in regards to getting any satisfaction from the dealer. I think you would have had to approach them with your continued dissatisfaction before you had FM re-do the tune.
Yes I agree. Lesson learned the hard way. Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would totally agree too but from what I’ve seen a lot of people had similar experience somewhere in their riding career. I will try to talk to them

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
You likely have no need for a dyno tune. Highly over rated in many cases.
You did Cam ,exhausts and Ac I take it stage 2. You may well find the tune FM sent you is fine.
Make a copy of it . Then run load it and run some auto tune runs the lode the auto tune rune. Play with it a bit.

I run a 114 with Woods 22X cam ,2-1-2 FM header, Stealth AC . Dynojet power vision FM tune.
I did the same with my 107 S&S 465 cam .

Reactions: NCPiper

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You likely have no need for a dyno tune. Highly over rated in many cases.
You did Cam ,exhausts and Ac I take it stage 2. You may well find the tune FM sent you is fine.
Make a copy of it . Then run load it and run some auto tune runs the lode the auto tune rune. Play with it a bit.

I run a 114 with Woods 22X cam ,2-1-2 FM header, Stealth AC . Dynojet power vision FM tune.
I did the same with my 107 S&S 465 cam .
Yes, that is what I plan on doing for at least a year anyways.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So I'm not sure if you "like" the dealership or not. If you do like them, perhaps consider doing this with the hope that they learn from it.

I would talk to the GM, explain the situation, and ask if he'd be interested in having someone take a look so that they can possibly learn from your experience and "save face" with a future customer.

Sometimes a little "goodwill" goes a long way.

Other than that.... I guess you just need to move on knowing that you are now wiser.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts