Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer told my son-in-law they had to do 1K service to keep factory warranty in place. I am sure this is not true and I am thinking about doing my 1K service on new RG. I am at 700 miles and my local dealer wants $350 to do it. I cannot believe how out of line these dealers are on this service.

If I do my and keep receipts am I all good for my warranty?

Any other recommendations you guys can give if I do my own 1K service?

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
None of my Harley's has ever been serviced by the dealer, only from me and I haven't had any problems getting a warranty work if needed. Save your money and try and do it yourself if you have the time to do it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go and Google the 1K checklist and do it yourself. Not only easy but fun. A perfect 6 pack day!! $350.00 for an oil change is crazy.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Do all my own service and no problems with warranty work. Keep your receipts and youll be good to go if they even ask, which they probably wont. Youll be out less than $100 if you do it yourself. Thats including manual, oils, filter, orings and derby gasket. If you dont reuse, which at 1k you could and be fine. Nothing you cant do yourself...and you'll know it was done right! Services are done by the lowest newby in the shop.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go and Google the 1K checklist and do it yourself. Not only easy but fun. A perfect 6 pack day!! $350.00 for an oil change is crazy.
I agree it is a crazy cost the dealers charge. I told my son-in-law this was not correct but he wanted to be on safe side. He is very handy and can do his own without any trouble. I never once took my Deuce in to a dealer but I thought I might my RG just for the 1K service but I think I would just be throwing money away if I do.

I think I will do my own and watch a few more youtube videos on it and read the manual good and I am good to go.

Just need to decide what oil to use along with primary transmission. I always used Mobil 1 V twin in Deuce.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Redline is good all around, but ive been using formula+ in the primary lately. And get a k&n filter with the nut welded on the end and do yourself a favor. Waaaay eaier to remove an install.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Redline is good all around, but ive been using formula+ in the primary lately. And get a k&n filter with the nut welded on the end and do yourself a favor. Waaaay eaier to remove an install.
Where are you buying K&N filter with nut? It has been a while since I have done this. I used to get Mobil 1 and filter at Wal Mart. I would rather stay out of that place. Does local auto parts store have it?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Advance Auto Parts has the K&N filter with the nut.

I fell for that 1k mile service bullshit. $350 for the dealer to check their assembly work is a rip off. Do it yourself. You'll end up having to check everything after you get it back from the dealer anyhow

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Advance Auto Parts has the K&N filter with the nut.

I fell for that 1k mile service bullshit. $350 for the dealer to check their assembly work is a rip off. Do it yourself. You'll end up having to check everything after you get it back from the dealer anyhow
Thanks for all the good advice; I am going to do my own, just been shopping on ebay got Mobil 1 vtwin for less than $10/quart delivered also found a good deal on a couple of K & N filters I like the nut idea really well my Deuce filter was always a bi... to get off.

I just need to decide on trans and Primary looking at Redline, Lucas and HD Formula.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just did my 1k service, went down the entire check list. After checking everything it amounted to changing the fluids, probably just what the dealer does. Under $100, I use Amsoil.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Get the service manual. It is clear and comprehensive from what I have read so far.

The 1k service is more than an oil change.

$350 is a lot of money to do what a $7.50 an hour person at a quick lube place can do on a car. To check everything required on the Harley if you were doing it on a car would cost $75 max.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, orielys or autozone
Thanks for the help guys! I am doing my own 1k service for sure. I am ebay shopper and got good deals on K & N filter, Mobil 1 for engine, Redline for trans and primary and got 100 o rings for $3.95 so I am good to go. I should have most if not all by Friday and plan to do 1K service this Saturday.

This forum has been a big help already!

·
Registered
339 Posts
DOING YOUR OWN SERVICE WARRANTY IS CALLED THE Magnuson-Moss
Warranty Act IT WILL NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF YOU DO IT RIGHT

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
next time you have a dealer tell you that line of bs, ask him when you can schedule your no-cost service. according to mm, if they require you to use their service, they have to provide it.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've done all of my own service, kept records and receipts but never needed any of it for factory warranty or extended warranty work. All of the advice offered before is sound. I sure would have enjoyed having a dealer try to tell me that their service was required to keep the warranty intact. Get the manual and get to know your bike.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Dealers have learned how to use the impression that many buyers have of Harley being pretty unreliable off the showroom floor.
While that may be true in some cases, My experience is that it will always get you home if you give it some basic TLC (service).
If you do it yourself it will be even more reliable than if some shop monkey who couldn't care less does it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
warrentry

Interesting thread. A few years ago my wife bought a Vespa. The Harley of scooters. The dealer stated that she had to bring in the scooter for servicing or the warranty was invalid. I checked with a lawyer acquaintance thinking this seems so bogus. It seems that it is all in the paper work you sign to get out of the door, Even though you buy the bike with cash it seems to make no difference. That dealer is long gone. Here in Southern OR with countless scooters on the road there is not one "official" scooter servicing or repair facility. Not even an "unofficial" repair shop. Replace a back tire? Servicing? If you Sharkers Know anyone in Northern Ca or Southern OR that would hang out a shingle for "Scooter Repair" they might make a living.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts