Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll be making the trek soon...
Are there any "Must see" dealers or sites to see on the way??
Planning our route and just thought we'd see what there is to see.

We'll more than likely go thru OH(of course duh), Ind, Ill, Ia, Minn, SD(again duh).

Any suggestions??

Thank you,
KO

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
If you plan on riding interstates, I can't help you. Besides, super slabs are not noted for scenery.... it's a way to get from point A to point B quickly.

Il The roads pretty much suck. But hit Poopy's, Savanna, Il for some food and a brew. They also have free camping if needed. Cross the bridge to Sabula, Iowa (Iron grate bridge) and keep going west. Eventually you will hit Anamossa, Ia and J&P Cycles. From there head North and pick up rt 20.

IA Rt 20 no muss, no fuss.... it's Iowa........take I29 in Sioux City North to sd 44. sd44 will take you all the way to Rapid City, SD.

Eastern SD looks like Iowa. But once you cross the Missouri river it gets downright scenic.... it's like flipping a geological switch. SD44 also takes your through the Southern Badlands.

Iowa

Eastern SD ...... Still looks like Iowa

Missouri River .... now it gets interesting.

Just outside of Mission SD....... no explanation necessary ( I wonder how many people stop to take a picture here?)

SD44 Southern Badlands

In the Badlands..... don't try to pet a Prairie Dog......................

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't want to do the super slab the whole way.
We are budgeting 3.5 days for the trip of approx 1400 miles.
We will probably do highway thru OH since it is our "territory" LOL
It would be nice if there were more choices for mapping routes.
We want to do scenic routes, but don't want to do 3 miles, then 10, then 5, then 18 then, 3 etc.
Good 2 lane roads that will get us there in a total of 28hrs instead of 25 is what we are looking for.
We also would hate to hear "you were right next to an awesome (dealership/sight/restaurant etc)" either.
Your suggestions sound great. That's the stuff we are looking for.

Thank you,
KO

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
When I am planning a route I just use Google Maps or MapQuest. Either one allows you to zoom in as close as you need.

Others may disagree, but I never plan my routes based on restaurants or dealerships unless I already know about them and have been meaning to stop sometime. After all, what I may think is the greatest Cajun spot you may think is the worst... you have no basis to understand my recommendation.

I plan my routes based on available time to get between points and what looks to be the best road to roll my 2 wheels down. It's always been my experience that you'll discover many "must see" places all on your own.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the rideplanner heads up

KO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts