Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I ride a 2016 velocity red FLTRXS. I bought the Special because my wife thought she wouldn’t ride much. She doesn’t. I didn’t think I would need the tour pack, well, just because.

After having the bike for a couple of years, I really want a tour pack. Would like the chopped tour pack because I mostly ride solo. I have already purchased the chopped tour pack backrest to match my Mustang seat in brown leather.

I have also added the CB radio for use on long haul trips and when I group ride with friends. My current antenna setup will interfere with the tour pack, doesn’t matter which one.

If I go with the chopped tour pack, I am considering getting the wrap around tail lights from the king and adding the two stubby antennas to the chopped tour pack. Does this make sense? Or would it look silly to dress the chopped pack up like the King?

The price difference between the king and the chopped is minimal, but I would lose the money in the backrest pad since most guys likely don’t have a need for a Brown one.

Again, it is me riding solo about 90% of the time. I will be doing some longer solo trips starting this year, so I am hoping to get plenty of use out of it. I am typically a light packer and also pack very well.

Thanks for your thoughts and tolerating my rambling.

-c

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
It may be too much light, not enough tour pack. But what you like matters. I'm considering a chopped tour pack too. It's all I need for all my camping gear. And the way my bike is set up it would look better. But if find I narrow set of lights to go along the back.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I guess it all depends on how much room you need. I prefer no tour pack and put a bag on the back seat. I do a lot of camping trips and have plenty of room for 7 days. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a small waterproof duffle from a Cycle Gear that has served very well. They were having a close out on the bags this year, so I bought the large one this past fall. My original thoughts were to save the $700 on the tour pack and just use the bag on the back seat as you mentioned. It is likely all I really need, but can’t get past the idea of the chopped tour pack. It looks pretty sharp on the back of the bike.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I ride lots of 2 up time so I’ve gotten used to the full tour pac and think the Rushmore styling looks pretty decent. I’ve always thought the chopped or razor pac looks great. I’ve never seen the lights on the back of one but don’t see why they wouldn’t be fine. But I’m also a fan of good rear lighting. Another option is the airwing w light. I’ll try to paste a link for pic. I think it looks sharp.

https://goo.gl/images/k2cRGU

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a small waterproof duffle from a Cycle Gear that has served very well. They were having a close out on the bags this year, so I bought the large one this past fall. My original thoughts were to save the $700 on the tour pack and just use the bag on the back seat as you mentioned. It is likely all I really need, but can’t get past the idea of the chopped tour pack. It looks pretty sharp on the back of the bike.
Yes, the chopped tour pack does look cool. I have a buddy that has one and it looks really good. He doesn't have any lights on it. In addition to the added cost, the lights may make putting it on and off more cumbersome. I had a 2013 RG Ultra before my 2015 Special and never cared for the big tour pack. Of course they look better now. While I did use it a lot, I felt it caught a lot of wind. I also thought it was more difficult getting on and off the bike. I am much happier with the set up I have now. You can still use the bag if you need a little extra room for trips and the chopped pack will give a little extra room for shorter trips.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've been rocking a chopped pack since 2012 on my '12 FLTRX. When I traded for my '15 I transferred it over to that bike. In all the time I have had a pack I may have ridden without it maybe 3 times. The King takes the cake for storage, but the Chopped is the shit for looks and getting extra storage without looking bulky. This of course is my opinion. I have never run extra lighting on my bike with the tour pack, but it does not seem like a bad idea. I am in the process of installing the premium latches on my chopped even though Harley says they don't fit. Hopefully this pans out well. Good luck whichever route you go!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Form Follows Function ... Or at least it's supposed to. The only thing that strikes me about the chopped TourPacks is where the hell are you supposed to put an 18-pack of beer?? I can fit 2 in my king TP, and still have room for my leather. It's also been quite handy for bringing home a new garage door opener (yes the whole thing), and a new floor jack over the holidays.

Just because you don't need to pack a lot of stuff, doesn't mean you don't need to occasionally carry some larger stuff ... And having a place to put - without using 100 bungee cords - it is handy as hell. Like getting my brother's new (2005 FLTR) gas tank home from the swap meet a few weeks ago - Fit right in the King TP without a problem. Which was a good thing since he used all the bungees we had to strap the new rear wheel for his Softail he picked up onto his bike.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In fact I do. Well, on long trips anyway. Around town I tend to wear a half helmet. Sometimes wouldn’t mind being able to carry one on trips to wear once at a destination. But then, that strikes me as carrying extra stuff.

I do like the look of the Airwing rack with the light. That was definitely on my mind as a future add-on. But wouldn’t solve the antenna issue.

Maybe it is simply time to commit to making an Ultra out of my Special and keeping it forever. Keeping it forever was kind of the plan anyway.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If you only need the size of the chopped tp then go with it. If you want more lighting and are concerned about the light being too large on the pac then look at Custom Dynamics trueflex led lights for the tour pac.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
The chopped tour pak looks cool and the King tour pak has more storage so it's your call but the way I see it the King would be the way to go. I was against tour paks for a long time because I like the sleek look of the bike without one but I decided to get a tour pak for road trips and now that I have the king tour pac on the bike it never comes off. If you want extra storage then get the biggest you can because if you go smaller there will be a time you wish you had more storage. The antennas is no problem because HD has adapter kits for antenna relocation, and keep in mind that you can't fit some helmets in the chopped tour pak that you can in the king tour pac. JMO

·
Registered
927 Posts
After having a king tour pack, on my last bike. if I was too add a tour pack to current bike it would be a king due to the storage space. You can fit a case of oil without unboxing with room to spare in a king.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have the same bike, same color, and had the same issue deciding on a tour pak. In the end, once it was clear I needed extra storage it made sense to get the bigger one. Because the first time something doesn't fit in the chopped pak I'd kick myself. That's me. I'm getting it from Advanblack, in velocity red, without the extra drilled holes.

Getting lights and wiring from Chrome Glow for cheap: Amp'd Super-Z LED Motorcycle Flexible Array Light Bars from Radiantz

Good luck sir, hope you like what you end up with.

·
Registered
686 Posts
On a side note: I don't know what HD wants for their TP antenna (and am afraid to ask...), but AutoZone has a nice stubby for $10 that works just fine. It plugged right into the stock cable, but didn't have the socket for the outer sheathing. So I bridged it with a piece of tinfoil and sealed it with shrink tubing. Last trip to Daytona (to check the range) it worked just as well as the stock antenna.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts