Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
For those that removed the cat from their m8 header pipe, where you able to do it with pipe on bike or did you take it off? Any tips to share? TIA

Registered
1.Removed the right muffler
2. Stuffed a rag in the crossover opening
3. Drilled around the perimeter of the cat with a long spade bit and scraped residual with a screwdriver
4. Vacuum out with a mini shop vac and removed the rag
5. Reinstall the muffler

Noticeable reduction in heat and decibel reducer in my mufflers keep the needed amount of back pressure.

Registered
Very little difference in sound...lowers heat on passenger. The M8 converter flows extremely well, removing it does little to change the back pressure so no tuning is required.

Registered
Just removed the cat whith pipe still on bike. Much easier to get to then twin cams. Sounds pretty wicked with no cat and no slip ons. Not sure Id enjoy riding it that loud day in and out, but did enjoy it for a minute. Now waiting for my slipons and AC for stage 1 to arrive.

Registered
CAT on M8 is much easier to get two than earlier years It can be done on the bike. If you have never removed one they are tough . It will take some work. The right drill bit can help. Wear a good dust mask.
This may give you a view of how easy it is to get to.

Registered
No improvement other than sound and a little less heat am I right?
FWIW - I have a '17 RGU w/bone stock 107. I bought a decatted head pipe ($150 on ebay) for the heat reduction. With the stock air filter, stock mufflers and no tuner, the exhaust note was the same and only marginally louder. The bike performed well with no pinging and no noticeable gain, or loss of power anywhere in the RPM range. Seat-of-the-pants? It felt like the bike wasn't working as hard and responded a little quicker... And the heat was similar to my old twin-cam 88.

Registered
I just recently decatted my headpipe then put one back on with the cat, however I also installed S&S 475c cams and I was running an experiment of sorts, this all of course with intake, exhaust, cams and FP3. First set up I decatted headpipe and also blocked off the crossover to make into a 2 into 1 setup. Midrange felt good but bottom end suffered it felt like. Sound was pretty amazing but after hearing it setup as 2 into 1 with the cat it's only marginally quieter, actually it doesn't sound as raspy but decibel is probably the same. Once I put on another set of headpipes with the cat back in the bottom end felt much better. Like way better. It appears stock it doesn't affect it much but running cams it really hates not having it. Just my .02 cents and what I felt after about 300 miles of riding this weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts