Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching this forum and the various handlebar websites for about a month now, I've narrowed my choice down to three bars. Paul Yaffe 10" Monkey Bars, Wild 1 12" Outlawz, and Wild 1 10" mini apes. I really wanted to save time and money by not needing to change out cables and wire extensions. Being from a small town in MT, I didn't have the luxury of going to a "bike night" or similar event and being able to see what others have on their rides, so I ordered all three bars and will just see which ones I like the most and return or sell the others! BTW, I love this forum lots of good info and beautiful bikes to drool over!

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,122 Posts
Dude; I want to see what you choose, cuz I'm pretty much where you are at. Want to see pics. I'm in no hurry, but I'm with you; forum input beats the hell out of just guessing. Not sure your size, but that's important. Me; 6-02 with 34 inseam. Leaning toward Yaffe...

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Bars are probably going to be one of the most difficult decisions youll make. Buying all the ones youre interested in is one way to go but as you found out can get expensive and i hope they have a return policy. I believe youll still be good with up to 14" bars without changing cables and wires. Good luck and get some pics up when you get it figured out :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude; I want to see what you choose, cuz I'm pretty much where you are at. Want to see pics. I'm in no hurry, but I'm with you; forum input beats the hell out of just guessing. Not sure your size, but that's important. Me; 6-02 with 34 inseam. Leaning toward Yaffe...
I will definitely post pics when I'm done. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam and find myself slouching with the stock bars. Maybe I could post side by side pics of the three bars if anyone thinks it would be beneficial. I too like the looks of the Yaffe bars, we'll see how comfortable they are for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bars are probably going to be one of the most difficult decisions youll make. Buying all the ones youre interested in is one way to go but as you found out can get expensive and i hope they have a return policy. I believe youll still be good with up to 14" bars without changing cables and wires. Good luck and get some pics up when you get it figured out :)
Definitely expensive! About $800 but I bought the Wild 1 bars from Dennis Kirk because of their 90 day no-hassle returns. The Yaffe bars I got off of Ebay, and figured I wouldn't have problems selling them if I didn't like them.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Definitely expensive! About $800 but I bought the Wild 1 bars from Dennis Kirk because of their 90 day no-hassle returns. The Yaffe bars I got off of Ebay, and figured I wouldn't have problems selling them if I didn't like them.
If money allows you to do that then i say great cuz at least youll have all the bars for a side by side comparison, which will make life alot easier when it comes to this decision. Definitely get some pics up when youre done :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got the 10" mini apes and 12" Outlawz today. Just sat there on my bike and set the bars on top of my stock bars to get a feel of the two bars and I tell ya, I wasn't too impressed with the mini apes. I know a lot of people like them, but they didn't fit me. The Outlawz felt great for me right where they were sitting on the stock bars. So now I'm thinking I need the 14" Outlawz! The Monkey Bars won't be in until Friday, so we'll see how they feel......

·
Registered
908 Posts
I spent two months trying to figure out what bars.

I figured either 10 or 12" bars. Looked at OEM Monkey Bars, wild one outlawz and wild one apes.

Monkeys tended to run a little taller than the eithe wild 1 bar styles.

I got lucky, was talking to servie manager at the dealer, he had me sit on a new salesman road glide with 16" Monkey bars on it. Owner/sales man came out, and threw me the keys, said go ride it. At first it felt really strange in slow speed turns in the parking lot. Once out on the road it felt good, and curves were just fine.:D His seat is about 1.5 taller than mine.

Then another friend introduced me to a guy with a maple CVO RG and 14" monkey bars. Owner handed me the keys and said ride it:) They were about perfect.

I would have custom ordered the 15" monkey bars, except I was told Sept is when I would get them. So I have the 14" Monkey bars on order. Should get them next week.

I also rode a road glide with 14 Outlawz, really nice bars. Felt lower than the 14 Monkeys. Would have got 16 outlawz if I went that route. Went Monkeys mainly due to looks, both were very similar in comfort.

I am 6'1" tall with a 34" inseam. The bike has a corbin classic solo on it for a seat, which is about an inch lower than a regular road glide custom seat, and about .5 taller than the 12 CVO seat.

Anxious to get the bars on and do a road trip.

Also having the controls all powder coated gloss black:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spent two months trying to figure out what bars.

I figured either 10 or 12" bars. Looked at OEM Monkey Bars, wild one outlawz and wild one apes.

Monkeys tended to run a little taller than the eithe wild 1 bar styles.

I got lucky, was talking to servie manager at the dealer, he had me sit on a new salesman road glide with 16" Monkey bars on it. Owner/sales man came out, and threw me the keys, said go ride it. At first it felt really strange in slow speed turns in the parking lot. Once out on the road it felt good, and curves were just fine.:D His seat is about 1.5 taller than mine.

Then another friend introduced me to a guy with a maple CVO RG and 14" monkey bars. Owner handed me the keys and said ride it:) They were about perfect.

I would have custom ordered the 15" monkey bars, except I was told Sept is when I would get them. So I have the 14" Monkey bars on order. Should get them next week.

I also rode a road glide with 14 Outlawz, really nice bars. Felt lower than the 14 Monkeys. Would have got 16 outlawz if I went that route. Went Monkeys mainly due to looks, both were very similar in comfort.

I am 6'1" tall with a 34" inseam. The bike has a corbin classic solo on it for a seat, which is about an inch lower than a regular road glide custom seat, and about .5 taller than the 12 CVO seat.

Anxious to get the bars on and do a road trip.

Also having the controls all powder coated gloss black:D
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking the 14" bars are going to be ideal for me. I wanted to stick with 10's or 12's to keep from having to change cables, wire extensions, etc.,but I'm thinking I might as well do it once and be comfortable. I just didn't want that much work to finish before Sturgis. I have a busy July and might have to wait until after. Definitely post pics after your install, I just love the looks of the Yaffe bars but hear they are a major PITA to internal wire.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking the 14" bars are going to be ideal for me. I wanted to stick with 10's or 12's to keep from having to change cables, wire extensions, etc.,but I'm thinking I might as well do it once and be comfortable. I just didn't want that much work to finish before Sturgis. I have a busy July and might have to wait until after. Definitely post pics after your install, I just love the looks of the Yaffe bars but hear they are a major PITA to internal wire.
I spend to much time working out of the USA, 6 months a year. I work 28 days on and same amount off. So Dealer is doing the install while I am overseas. Don't like my bike down at all when I am home.

That was my thought at first, something where I would not have to change hydraulic clutch and brake cables. Then I decided it would be cheeper to do exactly what I wanted the first time.

I will post pictures when done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts