Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was noticing some scratches in my clear coat on my bike and wanted to get it back to the way it looked when I purchased my bike 32,000 miles ago. I talked to my painter and he suggested I try a 3M product that is made for removing scratches in clear coat and paint. Well man I have to tell you this 3M product is the best thing ever for removing scratches. After I used this product I then used my Meguiar's wax and the paint & clear coat looked as good as new. I wanted to give you guys a heads up on this 3M product. I have posted pictures of all the products I have been using on my bike to keep it looking great.
Swomack

·
Registered
114 Posts
SHINEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up I have a few also that are a little deeper than the Meguiars Scratch Repair X2.0 can get.

I have to find me some and try it.

Speaking of where can I find it at?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Agreed! Same product my painter told me to use. His caution was use very small amounts on cool surfaces only. Best product I have used with first class results. Surfaces look like glass!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ha! I'm 99% sure I have that exact same bottle in my cabinet out in the garage....bought it about 10 or 20 years ago and as I recall it wasn't cheap, but then i still have half of it left so......I guess that tells you it wasn't to much.

Edit: Found em.....not the same.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I was noticing some scratches in my clear coat on my bike and wanted to get it back to the way it looked when I purchased my bike 32,000 miles ago. I talked to my painter and he suggested I try a 3M product that is made for removing scratches in clear coat and paint. Well man I have to tell you this 3M product is the best thing ever for removing scratches. After I used this product I then used my Meguiar's wax and the paint & clear coat looked as good as new. I wanted to give you guys a heads up on this 3M product. I have posted pictures of all the products I have been using on my bike to keep it looking great.
Swomack

A car painter turned me on to that stuff. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Contrary to what many will tell you HD clear coat is thick enough. It Can take a good buffing out. Most any of the scratch removers on the market will work.
I have used 1000 grit wet sanding a few times with great results. Then buffet it out a bit.

·
Registered
483 Posts
3M makes the best paint supply materials. I use their tape, masking materials and buffing products. Good stuff!

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swomack, the shark is looking great. Ever dealt with any scratches in your powdercoated parts?
I don't have any powercoated parts on this bike.
Now my Malibu VLX Wakeboard Boat does have some powercoated parts and this stuff did a good job taking out scratches as well. Once I hit the scratches I then used wax and the are looks like new again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Been using 3M stuff for years on my bikes, cars and boats and always had great results. I use a Porter Cable buffer but caution must used to avoid burn through on corners and edges.
For really bad paint flaws I used Perfect It compound in whatever grit (lightest that gets the job done) is needed and then on to polish and glaze and then wax.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just cleaned the bike, hand polished though would be easier than using my 5" buffer due to all angles and places hard to get with the buffer. WOW this product really work. Mothers and Meguiars products work ok but never was able to get all spider web lines off till now.
Thanks for the post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts