Road Glide banner

Deep South Meet - September or October 2013

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Singlebeam 
#1 ·
Let's do a meet and greet (with a group ride) in either September or mid-October!

Bring your friends, your spouse/significant others and/or kid(s).

We'll meet on a Saturday, go for a ride, get a bite to eat and play the rest of the weekend by ear. (Stay over, ride again Sunday morning, go our separate ways, head home, or whatever.)

I'm in New Orleans and would have no problem going to western Alabama, western Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, or Mississippi.

So, my fellow southern Road Gliders, whaddya say?

If you're in, PM me with two or three destinations you have wanted to check out or that you have been to which have a nice ride or two.

Also PM me your one best weekend to get away in September and your one best weekend to get away in October (after the 15th).

The more the merrier of course, but even if there are just four or five of us, I think we should go for it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd be down for a weekend getaway. If I can get somewhere 5 hours away so I can leave on a friday and play all day saturday to leave getting back home on Sunday, it's totally doable for me. Shark Week tapped me out of vacation time till November.

#3 · (Edited)
I would like to. I will be going to the rally in Sandy Hook, Mississippi Aug. 30 thru Sept. 2nd. Will also be going to the Bama Fest In demopolis, Ala. on Oct. 24-27 these are adult rallies, no kiddies allowed. If any of you guys can make either of those or both, let me know. Can meet there. Can also try to meet up on another date/place, keep me posted...

#5 ·
I would like to. I will be going to the rally in Sandy Hook, Mississippi Aug. 30 thru Sept. 2nd. Will also be going to the Bama Fest In demopolis, Ala. on Oct. 24-27 these are adult rallies, nod kiddies allowed.Iif any of you guys can make either of those or both, let me know. Can meet there. Can also try to meet up on another date/place, keep me posted...
I'll have to look up and consider the Sandy Hook rally.

What part of Louisiana are you in, Singlebeam?

#10 ·
Yeah. I believe JimmyRay was working on this again. He mentioned a Hill Country Revisit.

#13 ·
West Louisiana and Central Louisiana has some pretty nice back roads to ride. Depending on where the masses come in from, Start North of Lake Charles and head towards Alexandria and come down the river around Natchez towards Baton rouge and La Hwy 10 is pretty scenery and finish the W/E running Hwy 22 to Gonzales, then that would be a good place for departure.

...Or, stay south of I10 for the entire weekend, Tour the Lafourche, Terrebonne area, Then the next day, Do the St Charles, Jefferson Parish area.

All good riding, especially for those who never experienced the Bayou Country.

#15 ·
West Louisiana and Central Louisiana has some pretty nice back roads to ride. Depending on where the masses come in from, Start North of Lake Charles and head towards Alexandria and come down the river around Natchez towards Baton rouge and La Hwy 10 is pretty scenery and finish the W/E running Hwy 22 to Gonzales, then that would be a good place for departure.
I don't think we'll get "masses" of people...................but that plan sounds good to me for starters!

So, we'll start around Lake Charles -- where exactly? Over to Natchez and south to Gonzales, right? How many hours riding leisurely, with gas stops, etc., do you think that would be, dooinit?

Not very farm from home for me, but I've been wanting to check out the Natchez area anyway.

#21 ·
If you guys are planning on doing the Texas Hill Country, which basically consists of taking I-10 from where you are at and passing San Antonio or crossing west of I-35, then you may want to get JimmyRay, he was trying to put something together for a weekend getaway.

The Texas Hill Country is basically that, the hilly area of Texas and has a lot of curvy roads and nice rolling hills. The area expands basically west of I-35 all the way from San Antonio up thru Austin. The major roads desired in the hill country are those found southwest of Kerrville, TX. but there are many within that whole area. Great BBQ to be found at any corner and a bunch of bars and dance halls too.

#22 ·
Ok guys, I just finished a 2000 mile ride. I didn't go to Sandy Hook because my friends were not able to go. I left West Monroe, La. on Sunday, went to uncertainTexas to a friends house. We went do to Lake Livingston and stayed the night with another friend at Coldspring. Left there the next morning went through Huntsville, College Station, Bastrop, San Marcos, back roads through Blanco to Luckenbach. Went down to Bandera stayed the night, jumped up to I-10 out to Fort Stockton 285 north through Pecos, Carlsbad, New Mexico, stayed the night in Artesia. Next day went through Hobbs down through Andrews to Big Spring Texas, Stayed there 2 nights with some friends. Left the next moring went took I-20 back to Marshall and up to Uncertain. Stayed the night there and I got up early this morning and came home. Had a great time. The Texas hill country is a great place to ride. I will be going back.

#24 · (Edited)
I did a nice 370 loop this past weekend -- Metairie, LA to McComb, MS to Natchez, MS and back down to Metairie.

The first half of the ride was definitely a nicer and more fun in terms of roads. Many curves, quite a few hills, a good bit of shade, nice scenery, etc.

Met up with fellow RGer, cbumdumb, in McComb and had lunch and great conversation at Roux 61 in Natchez.

The ride after that was pretty dull -- Route 61 south. But, all in all, it was a great ride!

So, the 14th of September has come and gone (see above).

Headed to Florida the first weekend in October and to Arkansas the third weekend in October.

Who has some ideas about a location and a date for a Deep South Meet and Greet?

#26 ·
I'd like to get in on this. Due to my redunkulously crappy work schedule I'll mainly be a weekend warrior though. I don't really care where I go or how many miles I do. Somebody just tell me when and where to be and I'll see if I can't play hookie from the workhouse for a change....

BTW...GREAT idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.