Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be making a trip from Oklahoma into New Mexico and Colorado riding the Million Dollar highway and across Colorado. What are your thoughts on these deer whistles? Do they work?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I hit a deer 5 years ago and was lucky enough to walk away.

I (as well as my wife and several others we ride with) have a Hornet (http://www.xp3hornet.com/). I have seen deer turn away or at least look up to see what the noise is. I don't think anything is ever going to totally eliminate the hazard and this is a bit of cheap insurance (compared to, at a minimum, writing off your bike).

On the plus side, since I've had the alert I haven't hit a deer. ;)

Stephen

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
I don't know if it will or will not work, but after seeing what happened in Leesburg, FL last week, I've been thinking about one.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
OK I'll bite, what happened in Leesburg last week?

I don't know if it will or will not work, but after seeing what happened in Leesburg, FL last week, I've been thinking about one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Florida Highway Patrol reports 57-year-old Bruce Pelish died after being thrown from his bike Saturday morning when a deer darted into his path. He was driving north on State Road 19 in the Ocala National Forest.

Pelish and his wife left Friday for the annual Leesburg Bikefest in Lake County with other South Florida couples. Two others in the group were injured when they hit Pelish's motorcycle after the collision. The deer died.

·
Registered
958 Posts
A bunch of us put them on our Motor Homes, I never hit a deer:D unfortunately one of the group did, figured the big rigs made more noise then then the whistle, I'm thinking so do the V&H!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
this is a very true story. my bosses daughter came up from one of the carolinas to visit a few years ago. before she and her hubby left to go back, my boss bought and stuck a couple of those deer whistles to their car cuz they said they saw lots of deer on the way up. somewhere in VA they called to let my boss know that they hit a deer and totalled their car. i for one laughed my ass off and told my boss that he put the whistles on backwards. he didnt think it was as funny :D. i personally think they are a waste of money but thats just me

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
We had 10 delivery trucks at a lab I use to work at and our drivers were on the road from about 1:00am until 5:00pm. All the trucks had deer whistles and the drivers averaged at least one deer a month. As the trucks were replaced the deer whistles were not used and they still hit on average one deer a month. I'd skip it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here in Tx the person leading the group many times has these whistles. They freak the deer out and those in the middle to rear of the group get screwed so don't waste the money they are crap.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I play heavy metal on my stereo, I figure Loud music, loud pipes, and bright lights. If that doesn't scare em, must be my time.
Learned over the years that they dont pay attention to sound but more of changes in tone. Come around corner one night in my truck and 3 were crossing. Soon as I let out of the gas the last one stopped in front of me. Didnt hit him, but next time I was in that situation I didnt let out and they kept goin. Hard to do that cuz its natural to hit the brakes, but just my .02

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm in the heart of deer country here in Nebraksa. I just had my RGC delivered just before Daytona Bikeweek where I rode it for the first time. After having the bike shipped to and from Daytona, I've put only about 1000 miles on the ride since then.

I always activate the Harley electronic deer whistle when on back roads and ... thank God ... I have not hit any deer. I don't know whether it works or not but I know I feel much better about having it on the bike ... especially since the cost was about $80.00. My closest contact was about 3 weeks ago when a deer ran across my path but it was at least a half a block in front of me, so I really didn't come close to it. I do have a riding buddy who is a motorcycle instructor who swears by them.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
When there on the run Aint nothin stoppin them. When you see one, expect more to follow! there like F'in pets here in NJ A hole home owners feed them, there everywhere

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
When there on the run Aint nothin stoppin them. When you see one, expect more to follow! there like F'in pets here in NJ A hole home owners feed them, there everywhere
Is it considered baiting them if you shoot them in someone elses yard?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just be careful to install it properly.

A friend of mine installed one on his bike... backwards,

I thought he was never going to lose that herd of deer chasing him!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts