Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forums and found no mention of a product I just picked up.

I ride in all weather on my 17 RGS in black denim. As a result I have developed water spots that I couldn't take any more. Ordered Rat Wax detailer off of Amazon and used it yesterday. Cleaned up my water spots almost 90% in no time at all. No shine but you do have almost a glow that is beautiful. Best my bike has looked since I rode it off the dealer floor. BTW, I rode out in a substantial rain storm that was followed up by a beautiful day the next day before I got it washed. Water spots occurred day 2 of ownership.

I have been using the Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Cleaner but the Chemical Guys sealer didn't look like it was going to take out the water spots and didn't want to seal them in.

If you are looking for a product that will clean your imperfections, check out Rat Wax Detailer.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Just in time. The wife just bought a denim black Street 500 and I was cringing at the thought of cleaning it. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have been using the Harley Denim cleaner or straight up Windex. There are water spots on mine, but you can only see them when the bike is wet. Doesn't really bother me and there is not an abundance of them. Thanks for posting up what you found to work well. Another product I hear about that is supposed to be really good is by a company called Dr. Beasley's.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Check out auto geek. Lots of matte finish paint care

·
Registered
3 Posts
F11 Top Coat is what I use for mine. My bike spends lots of time outside in the elements. Sat out in a field at a run for 3 days after rain. Dusty as all hell and water spotted up. The ride from south Texas was even better with some more rain. F11 knocked it right out. Back to showroom look. Lemon Pledge will also do the job. I used that for months before I ordered the Top Coat. It is expensive but it keeps the bike looking good. Believe it or not the K&N filter cleaner spray works wonders also. All of these help make the bugs and road grime not stick to the bike what seems like permanently at times without anything on it. I've tried all of these and obtained similar results. I just got the F11 to try it out and I'll probably go back to lemon Pledge after I use it all unless someone gets me more as a gift. lol.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Not F11 again. I the detailed world it is known as JUNK. Anybody that knows anything about detailing doesn't use the stuff. Facebook marketing at its best. Way better products out there that work better.
Take that noise back to Facebook

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not F11 again. I the detailed world it is known as JUNK. Anybody that knows anything about detailing doesn't use the stuff. Facebook marketing at its best. Way better products out there that work better.

What do you recommend for the non professional? A buddy have me a small bottle of it. It worked good on my bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude asked I spoke. Don't like it that's your choice. Don't tell me what to do though sport. If you read I stated that I'd probably go back to Lemon Pledge but everyone just looks to hate on someones opinion and thinks ooooo watch this. Good job you told me. Got it from a body shop friend. Just goes to show you how much you know.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I detail as a side gig. Ive been doing it a long long time. So, I do know what I'm talking about.
Lets look at the facts on top coat.
1. They market it as a coating. Its not.
2. It says polish on the bottle. So its a AIO
3. So, the maker of this stuff doesn't even know what to call it.
4. Nobody that does detailing for a profit uses this. Check the boards and the reviews on them.

My post might have seemed abrasive. Well this has been discussed before on this forum and others great lengths. Ive gotten a lot of good help on this forum and I try to "Give back" when I can. This is one area I know very well and get paid to do it. I don't like to see people getting "Taken", so I speak up.

When I read about topcoat and lemon pledge I cringe. PLEASE PLEASE leave the house hold cleaners and furniture polish in the house. Use them on what they were designed to be used on.

If you had your car detailed and you come to pick it up and you see a guy spraying lemon pledge on it, what would you do?
Last week I spent 17 hrs doing a Audi A6S. Paint correction and paint coating. Pretty sure if the owner seen me spraying lemon pledge on his $80,000 car he would have been pissed. I know I would have been.

There are a lot of great products out there for the guy doing it himself, and I haven't mentioned any of them. If that stuff works for you keep using it. But for the guy reading this and all of the other marketing hype for it, look around before you buy anything. Read reviews, talk to people that detail all the time and get their point of view of products.

Sincerely, SPORT

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
What do you recommend for the non professional? A buddy have me a small bottle of it. It worked good on my bike.
What are you looking for out of the product? Perfect paint comes from polishing to as close to perfect as possible. What you put on it afterwards is a small piece of the puzzle.
For a LSP I would recommend a sealant. Last longer than wax, and isn't a dust magnet. Next up the food chain is a coating. Many real good coatings out there that will last years. Gyeon, Wolfgang, Optimum, 22PLE, Polish Angel

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have been using the Harley Denim cleaner or straight up Windex. There are water spots on mine, but you can only see them when the bike is wet. Doesn't really bother me and there is not an abundance of them. Thanks for posting up what you found to work well. Another product I hear about that is supposed to be really good is by a company called Dr. Beasley's.
First off, thanks to the OP for giving us Denim owners another option to consider. But I wanted to +1 BH103 for his observations on his water spots. I can see legacy spotting, marks and even some bug gut splatter on my black denim tins whenever the bike gets wet. But they are invisible when the bike is dry. I've had my black denim bike going on 3 years now and have learned most all of her little nuances.

I've tried a lot of different cleaners on my bike, but my go to solution is a simple bottle of pre-mixed dawn dish soap and tap water. Fill the spray bottle up with water and add a few squirts of dawn. Shake up the juice and go to town.

Every once in a while I'll pull out the bottle of CycleCares Formula RUFFCUTT denim cleaner and give the whole bike a once over with that. Otherwise I try not to fret too much over it. My RG isn't a garage queen. It's been ridden in every kind of weather imaginable and she's got almost 15K miles on her now. But you'd be hard pressed not to think she's almost new right after I'm done with the two cleaners I mentioned above.

Just trying to help my brothers out.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
For the guys with denim paint: there is a lot of new stuff coming out for this type of paint. Ive only done 1 bike so far and obviously no cars.
The dawn mixed with water is interesting. Does there seem to be a film left on the tins afterwards from the dawn?Serious question, I've never tried it.

This seems to be the go to matte coating now. Expensive but you get a lot, 50mil. 15mil will do a 4 door car so this will last you a long long time. They say 12 months for longevity.

https://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-matte-coating.html

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The dawn mixed with water is interesting. Does there seem to be a film left on the tins afterwards from the dawn?Serious question, I've never tried it.
https://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-matte-coating.html
Nope, after the Dawn and water I just wipe her down with a clear, clean and damp micro fiber cloth and she's good to go. Trust me, as many times as I've done this, if there were any film build up after three years I couldn't even see down to the paint :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Good deal. I have a buddy that has matte black bike. Ill pass it along to see if he wants to try it

·
Registered
5 Posts
BugSlide

Has anyone tried BugSlide. I have a lot of friends with gloss bikes that swear by it. A website I get a lot of info from says they have tested it on Matte paint and it works well. I got a small bottle to try but haven't had a chance to give it a shot. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it. Thanks

The site is LawabidingBiker.com by the way.

Ben

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Have no idea if it will work on matte paint. I do suggest that you try it in a area that can not be seen, tire side of the saddlebag for example.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone tried BugSlide. I have a lot of friends with gloss bikes that swear by it. A website I get a lot of info from says they have tested it on Matte paint and it works well. I got a small bottle to try but haven't had a chance to give it a shot. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it. Thanks

The site is LawabidingBiker.com by the way.

Ben
LAB Fan here as well. I have pretty much switched over to bugslide just because of availability. It is everywhere. The RatWax has to be ordered. Works just as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts