Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I went to look at the bike i would eventually purchase, i wasnt thrilled with the Denim Black paint...I have a custom painted Springer with Denim that I have baby'd and the paint still looks great.

Im a fan of custom paint and its not THAT bad so i ended up getting the bike regardless. I dont have a picture at the moment, but the paint looks like...kind of like an old oil spill on blacktop. You can see the "chameleon" type color change from what i assume was not windex/denim paint cleaner and an oily spray shine. From what the paint of my other bike told me, Flat/Matte colors are very pourus and thats why you cant clean them with just anything.

The guy swears up and down that it will clean up...i havent used high pressure or soapy water, just the HD Denim cleaner for the time being...is anyone familiar with what im describing? Is it fixable? I was told to try HOT soapy water which i havent yet, and also told to try Simply Green...i did a small area and that seemed like it was going to screw it up so i didnt push forward.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
there is a common misconception that there is no clear coat on the denim bikes. there is. it just has a matting agent mixed in it. so oil, fingerprints, etc. will clean up fine.

now that isn't to say that the finish on the op's bike is the stock paint. if that's the case, then you could very well be screwed. I would have had the original owner clean it up before I committed to buying it. at this point, try what you can and see how they work out. go from least aggressive to most aggressive.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've used "SpraWay" glass cleaner on denim and it works pretty good, it's deionized water and alcohol and is safe as water of the finish.

The custom paint and graphics guys use it as a surface prep also
Not to hijack the thread.... Hey RoadHawg, I actually had someone from the harley shop tell me this is what they use to detail their bikes on the showroom floor...... Is this glass cleaner safe for all paint? Especially big blue pearl?

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had my bike for about 7 month now and used the Denim cleaner from the dealership and didnt like it. Read on some of the threads that Ivory dish soap and Windex without amonia between washes works well. I use both now and the windex shines the chrome up really nice.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
you don't have to use the windex without ammonia. in fact, with ammonia works better. but, you don't want to get that on your windshield. on that, you want to use ammonia free.

when i first got my 2010, before hd made their own denim paint cleaner, the owner's manual recommended glass cleaner with ammonia. of course, now that they sell everything under the sun, they don't recommend anything other than their own products.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Dawn liquid for the tough stuff. Ammonia free Windex to get that new bike shine. Done.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not to hijack the thread.... Hey RoadHawg, I actually had someone from the harley shop tell me this is what they use to detail their bikes on the showroom floor...... Is this glass cleaner safe for all paint? Especially big blue pearl?
That is what I use. Ammonia free. Good price at SAMs Club. Detail whole bike, though mine is not a denim bike.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
no, it is super simple to take care of.

just a bunch of denim owners with differing views on what product is the 'best' for it. in reality, there is not a 'best', there are a bunch of different things that all work well, and each owner has there own method for taking care of it.

the only negative to denim, is if you get a scratch. you can't buff it out. but, that is also one of the positives to it as well. it is supposed to wear like your favorite denim jeans. that means that after time, your paint will have some 'character'.

i had my 2010 denim for close to 4 years, and it still looked very good. actually better than some of the younger vivid black bikes and all their swirls, etc.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
HD is all over the place on denim with or without clear!

I have late model denim tanks and other parts come in with flat clear and no clear at all, I can tell right away when I start sanding on the parts.

I also use the foaming SpraWay cleaner on gloss clear bike to remove bugs and stuff, then either go over with a good detail spray or wax. SpraWay can be bought at any grocery store for just a couple bucks for a can, good stuff to clean your chrome as well!

·
Registered
765 Posts
" it is supposed to wear like your favorite denim jeans. that means that after time, your paint will have some 'character'. "

Exactly, in time you will find wear spots just like denim pants.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
" it is supposed to wear like your favorite denim jeans. that means that after time, your paint will have some 'character'. "

Exactly, in time you will find wear spots just like denim pants.
yep, like i said earlier, in the 4 years i owned my 2010, i hadn't noticed it doing that yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts