1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Windex worked on mine.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
its shiney because you've basically buffed it. that is one of the characteristcis of the denim paint

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts
The denim cleaner from Harley works wonders. I found out yesterday on my buddies Denim Road glide.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Had that color on a flhx before it probably won't come out once it's shiney it will stay that way and light scratches can't be buffed out like regular paint it is a very hard color to keep. Used to use windex and the harley stuff was no better and triple the price. The shiney spots now add character

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
135 Posts
Harley Denim paint cleaner is awesome for cleaning denim paint. It does nothing for shiney spots. Depending on the location of the spots you have, you can use the Harley Denim touch-up spray paint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Denim Black - if the spots are just from touching the parts and not from buffing they will disappear with the Harley Cleaner - It works great!

I also use products from Chemical Guys (I detailed cars in another life)
I've tried all matte products and they work great (be careful with the JetSeal product if u use too much it can leave a layered look - like when you over paint with a roller), you can find on amazon or order direct from company or even pick up if you in So. Cal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bear< I take it you know from experience with jet seal matte? I put the stuff on to thick and it left a slight over roll look as you describe. What did you do to even it out? Let it wear? Re apply again but thinner?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a couple shiny spots on the back of my saddlebags that were there when I bought the bike. I have used the HD denim paint cleaner and the chemical guys matte paint detailer but they don't go away. You can only see them if you look at the right angle.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I have a couple shiny spots on the back of my saddlebags that were there when I bought the bike. I have used the HD denim paint cleaner and the chemical guys matte paint detailer but they don't go away. You can only see them if you look at the right angle.
I normally try not to resurrect old threads, but I'm new here so I figured I'd take a small liberty.

I've got the exact same thing on the new 2015 denim black RG that I took delivery of this weekend. I didn't see them at the dealership, but as soon as I parked the bike in the garage at home they sure showed up. At first I thought they were fingerprints, but nope they are definitely there to stay :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep Matt black is easy to take care of, the hardest part is getting your head wrapped around that it is rat bike look. Having said that u still want it to look good. I been using turtle wax spray mist detailer (No polishing compounds) in place of wax. Then chemical guys matte detailer. The turtle wax detailer keeps it slippery easy to clean off bugs and such but is a dust magnet. I love the matte look now that I've reconciled myself w its small drawbacks.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Since I took delivery of the bike a week ago, and contacted them the very next day...............

I talked to the service department at the Harley dealer. They had the bags off doing the hydraulic clutch recall and installing the accessories. My gut feel is that the service guys are responsible for the "permanent" shiny spots on the back of my right bag.

Riding back to Springfield on Friday for a resolution...........

Could be clutch fluid or just sloppy handling of the bags during the service work.

I'm ok with the Black Denim if I'm the one that messes it up, an entirely different story on a bike I've got $23K in if the dealership is responsible or it came that way from the Moco.

Hopefully the dealership will get it worked out to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the denim cleaner for my 15 RG denim black, the shiney spots could be from you buffing that particular spot, the denim cleaner is supposed to be sprayed on and wiped off,...not in a buffing motion ..their is a review on how to use the denim cleaner on Youtube...check it out,...Im glad I did, because I thought I was using it the right way,...turns out I was way wrong in how I was applying it and wiping it off...if you don't use it the right way it "could" result in "shiney spots" or marks on you're denim paint........ Take It Easy

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Thanks for that feed back Hardluck. I followed the instructions to a letter (even shook the stuff up before spraying it on) :)

I read all about the BD paint care and cleaning before settling on that color because it wasn't my first choice - I was actually pushed in that direction by my better 1/2.

I've used the Harley stuff, warm soap and water and even Windex (per 1,000s of alternate recommendations here and elsewhere).

I went back and looked at a bunch of photos we took of the bike before we bought it, and I can clearly see that the marks were on the bag before we took delivery.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Took bike back to the dealership and they touched up the back of the right rear bag.

I can hardly tell where the shiny spots were. If I look real close at the right angle and in the right light I can see the remnants, but otherwise I'm happy now.

Dealer told me if I still wasn't happy they would exchange under warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts