Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I just got my bike a few weeks ago. There is an issue with the paint it appears that the irregular pattern of the plastic wrap that was on it is still on it. The wrinkle/bubble pattern is on the front of the fairing the tank and on both bag lids. I went back to the dealer and they are going to have a rep come out and look at it because they can't get any good pictures. I've tried getting it off myself using windex and the denim cleaner. Of course I'm impatient and want it fixed now but don't want to scrub to hard and make it shiny and you can only see it from certain angles. In any case I want to "add character" on my terms.

Has any other denim black owners seen this or is this a rare occasion. Apparently they don't ship them wrapped anymore either as of a couple months ago, maybe this is why. I know mine was because I saw it before it was prepped with the plastic still on.

·
Super Moderator
1,817 Posts
One possible reason they do not wrap anymore may have to do with the curing of the paint. The wrap may have been put on too soon, the denim paint may require more time to cure than regular paints with clear coats.

Many times in industrial coatings the coating requires time and a certain humidity to release all the solvents that make it possible to spray the paints in the first place.

If the plastic wrap is put on before the solvents have had time to release from the paint, the solvents may have in fact softened the plastic wrap and some of the chemistries have combined.

One of my day jobs is as a NACE Coating Inspector, yes I literally do get paid to watch paint dry, not a bad gig, just a ton of patience required.

The job I hate to do more than anything around the house, you guessed it, painting. Walls, ceilings, fences I try to Tom Sawyer my way out of that everytime.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
It happens when moisture get between the paint and the plastic. My bag lids did the same thing when I put on those Saddlemen saddlebag lid covers. I did it to protect the denim paint, but instead they left some nice patterns in the paint. You can only see them when the bike is freshly washed now, but they are slowly going away.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was kinda thinking they were going to go away as well but I mentioned it to them anyway being it's brand new bike. I had also figured they wrapped it before the paint was cured. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Let us know what the rep says and how things turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Just saw a bunch of new bikes being unloaded at HD here in Jackson.

None of them were wrapped coming off the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
999 Posts
Of course....

....motorcycle dealers don't do "bodywork". If they validate your claim, they'll just order all new parts from "the motor co.". Who knows how long that'll take.
Then, when the parts come in, your friendly neighborhood dealer will take their own sweet time putting everything back together.

Do I sound bitter?

Look at the bright side though, maybe the dealer will let you keep the original parts and you can make a few bucks off e-bay. :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Not to Highjack the Thread.... But my windshield has the Vibration Black part removal scratches on them... being in Germany, I wonder how long I will have to wait for a new one.... (they don't sell the RG here).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My side covers had the pattern from the wrap. I realize this isn't an option for you but a little wax took care of it. Not sure how to tackle that on a denim.

·
Registered
98 Posts
new bike

My 2011 FLTRX had to have all the fenders, saddlebags, fairing and tanks replaced because of this problem. The dealer had to replace all the painted pieces and it delayed my bike by 10 days.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
My side covers had the pattern from the wrap. I realize this isn't an option for you but a little wax took care of it. Not sure how to tackle that on a denim.
No way to,. except soap and water, then trying the denim cleaner. Like the o.p. said, those won't work. But over a years time it does "wear" out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts