Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,897 Posts
Hi Garvin. No that isn't on our schedule. People could easily build that into their Wednesday ride to the coast if they want to. The Desert of Maine is just a couple miles up the road from L.L. Beans, which is only 20 minutes from Portland. Quite frankly, even though this "desert" is a geographical anomaly for this state, it's small and much ado about nothing.

·
7,897 Posts
As long as the rides end with some sort of "Dessert of Maine" (spelled "pie") as an option I'm good :)
It's all about the pie with this group!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I always thought Maine dessert was ice cream :confused:! Soon as the ice and snow are cleared from the roads, there are entire convoys of refrigerated semi's rolling thru the state with ice cream. Every little burg and hamlet, while they may not have a traffic light, a cop, or a town hall, has an ice cream parlor.

Maybe the addiction came from Vermont--home to Ben & Jerry's.:D

Maybe it's a home-grown addiction--lots of ice cream makers in Maine.

And, ......it's damn good on PIE!

Below are listed all the Maine cities in which you can find ice cream parlors. The number next to the city indicates how many ice cream parlors are listed in that specific city. You can find a grand total of 118 ice cream parlors listed in the State of Maine. Click on the city for detailed listing information.

» Bangor (3)
» Belgrade Lakes (1)
» Boothbay Harbor (1)
» Calais (1)
» Caribou (1)
» East Waterboro (2)
» Fort Kent (1)
» Gorham (1)
» Hallowell (1)
» Kennebunk (1)
» Lebanon (1)
» Morrill (1)
» Newport (2)
» Ogunquit (1)
» Parsonsfield (1)
» Presque Isle (3)
» Rockland (1)
» Sanford (2)
» Sebago (1)
» South Casco (1)
» South Portland (5)
» Waterville (2)
» Wilton (1)
» Woolwich (2)
» Auburn (3)
» Bar Harbor (1)
» Bethel (2)
» Brewer (2)
» Camden (1)
» Damariscotta (1)
» Eliot (1)
» Freeport (1)
» Gray (2)
» Hodgdon (1)
» Kennebunkport (1)
» Lewiston (6)
» New Gloucester (2)
» Norridgewock (1)
» Old Orchard Beach (1)
» Pittsfield (1)
» Randolph (2)
» Rumford (1)
» Scarborough (2)
» Sherman (1)
» South China (1)
» Southwest Harbor (1)
» Wells (4)
» Windham (3)
» York (1)
» Augusta (4)
» Belfast (1)
» Biddeford (1)
» Brunswick (1)
» Cape Elizabeth (1)
» Deer Isle (1)
» Farmington (1)
» Fryeburg (1)
» Guilford (1)
» Houlton (1)
» Kittery (2)
» Liberty (1)
» New Harbor (1)
» North Yarmouth (1)
» Old Town (1)
» Portland (5)
» Rangeley (1)
» Saco (5)
» Searsport (1)
» Skowhegan (2)
» South Paris (2)
» Topsham (1)
» Westbrook (1)
» Winthrop (1)

·
7,897 Posts
Outcast - WTF, you couldn't give it to us in aphabetical order? You've got too much free time on your hands! You out of the Bahamas yet?

Last year our legislature named the whoopie pie as Maine's official dessert. In my mind it's a toss up between that and a regular blueberry pie. Maine is the #1 producer of blueberries. Personally, I'd rather have a big slice of strawberry rhubarb pie ... and make it tart! A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top would complete it. Now I'm hungry!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Outcast - WTF, you couldn't give it to us in aphabetical order? You've got too much free time on your hands! You out of the Bahamas yet?

Last year our legislature named the whoopie pie as Maine's official dessert. In my mind it's a toss up between that and a regular blueberry pie. Maine is the #1 producer of blueberries. Personally, I'd rather have a big slice of strawberry rhubarb pie ... and make it tart! A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top would complete it. Now I'm hungry!
Huh?...just the cut & paste severely strained and depleted my technical talents...

I'm preparing to return the yacht to U.S. soon...preparation consists of drinking beer near the cruise liners...till I find one headed for Ft. Lauderdale that I can follow back...navigation is technical stuff, too, ya know. (I was thinking about finding someone to follow to SWIV, too,...but as it turns out I'm not just stupid, I'm also an anti-social SOB. :D I'm coming a day early,..so unless I get lost.. maybe you could hook me up with a couple menial tasks....)

My recollection of the Maine blueberries is that they come in at least two distinct varieties, one larger than the other, and one variety ripens earlier in the season than the other. I know you don't have much to do, so if you could research that for us....and change the dates for SWIV if the good ones ain't ripe.....

·
7,897 Posts

·
7,897 Posts
Huh?...just the cut & paste severely strained and depleted my technical talents...

I'm preparing to return the yacht to U.S. soon...preparation consists of drinking beer near the cruise liners...till I find one headed for Ft. Lauderdale that I can follow back...navigation is technical stuff, too, ya know. (I was thinking about finding someone to follow to SWIV, too,...but as it turns out I'm not just stupid, I'm also an anti-social SOB. :D I'm coming a day early,..so unless I get lost.. maybe you could hook me up with a couple menial tasks....)

My recollection of the Maine blueberries is that they come in at least two distinct varieties, one larger than the other, and one variety ripens earlier in the season than the other. I know you don't have much to do, so if you could research that for us....and change the dates for SWIV if the good ones ain't ripe.....
If you're feeling navigationaly challenged, that's only an indication that you spent too much time with Cap'n Ron this winter! :D

You got your basic low bush blueberries, and your high bush variety. The low bush are the ones harvested commercially here in Maine. They're smaller and hold up better to storage and shipping, etc. They grow wild on the blueberry barrens of east central Maine where there's not much more than lichen and moss that grows on the granite strewn soil.

The high bush variety grows anywhere along most of our lakes' shorelines in Maine. We have 8-10 of them on our property. My wife loves them. I bet there's about 10 quarts still in the freezer from last year's crop. We have one knarly old bush that must be 15' in diameter.

SW4 is scheduled about 2 weeks early for the blueberry season. No problem with changing the dates, just let me know what works best for you.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Below are listed all the Maine cities in which you can find ice cream parlors.
Your list is woefully incomplete- :D
I can think of at least 15 that arent on there.

Grapenut or Rum Raisin for me, the boss likes Moosetracks.

The holy grail is Cherry Garcia ben and jerry's, but thats pretty high falutin'
stuff for the Dairy Freeze ...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you're feeling navigationaly challenged, that's only an indication that you spent too much time with Cap'n Ron this winter! :D

You got your basic low bush blueberries, and your high bush variety. The low bush are the ones harvested commercially here in Maine. They're smaller and hold up better to storage and shipping, etc. They grow wild on the blueberry barrens of east central Maine where there's not much more than lichen and moss that grows on the granite strewn soil.

The high bush variety grows anywhere along most of our lakes' shorelines in Maine. We have 8-10 of them on our property. My wife loves them. I bet there's about 10 quarts still in the freezer from last year's crop. We have one knarly old bush that must be 15' in diameter.

SW4 is scheduled about 2 weeks early for the blueberry season. No problem with changing the dates, just let me know what works best for you.
Naviguessing is not really much of an issue...I never venture more than a few miles from land....which sounds comforting until you note that the few miles to land is straight down...

Someone asked if I was concerned about getting lost at night or in the fog. "Nah, that don't bother me none...I been lost under a clear blue sky...":D

I think I'd like to opt for the low bush blueberry SWIV--can't reach the high ones...can't stand on the R/G, either...fall off enough just sitting on it.:eek:

·
7,897 Posts

·
7,897 Posts
Grapenut or Rum Raisin for me, the boss likes Moosetracks.

The holy grail is Cherry Garcia ben and jerry's, but thats pretty high falutin'
stuff for the Dairy Freeze ...[/QUOTE]

I've been on a Hagan Das sea salt caramel gelatto kick lately. There's just no way to eat half of it and save the other half for later. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts