Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about adding the detachable Tour Pack kit to my 17 Road Glide Ultra.

The kit says it comes with an antenna relocation mount, which places the antenna between the bag and fender on the left side. When I look at my bike, it appears to me that, when on the bike, the Tour Pack would interfere with the antenna. Is the antenna supposed to move back and forth between mounting locations depending on whether or not the Tour Pack is installed?

Does anyone know if the kit comes with cables to make the Tour Pack Speakers quick disconnect as well?

I'm not much of a mechanic so I usually leave the wrenching to someone else. Is this difficult to install or should I have someone do it?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have the antenna relocation bracket. It doesn't interfere with the tour pak.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm thinking about adding the detachable Tour Pack kit to my 17 Road Glide Ultra.

The kit says it comes with an antenna relocation mount, which places the antenna between the bag and fender on the left side. When I look at my bike, it appears to me that, when on the bike, the Tour Pack would interfere with the antenna. Is the antenna supposed to move back and forth between mounting locations depending on whether or not the Tour Pack is installed?

Does anyone know if the kit comes with cables to make the Tour Pack Speakers quick disconnect as well?

I'm not much of a mechanic so I usually leave the wrenching to someone else. Is this difficult to install or should I have someone do it?

It’s really simple to do. There are 4 bolts that hold the tour pak on and three connectors, speakers, lights and antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,404 Posts

I did the complete kit on my '16 Ultra. I just bought a stubby antenna from the local hardware store and screwed it on at the new location. I don't listen to FM very much because I loathe commercials. I have a 32GB micro thumb drive plugged in the radio.

Everything is quick disconnect. For me the only negative is that the new tour pack bracket doesn't have a shelf for the wires. I used a piece of inner tube to keep any of the connectors from rubbing on the fender.

Having the quick disconnect makes the bike look and feel like two different bikes.

http://www.roadglide.org/71-paint-bodywork-section/338954-protecting-rear-fender-when-using-quick-release-tourpack-rgu.html

without the tour pack.
http://www.roadglide.org/10-road-trip-discussions-stories-pictures/331065-my-road-glide-dragon-swvii.html

with just a solo seat.
http://www.roadglide.org/8-general-off-topic-discussions/303177-rare-muscle-car-pulled-into-local-dealer-while-i-there.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
tour pak

get the hidden antennae and lose that stupid stock antennae. it's about $70. I put the hanging wires under my seat when tour-pak isn't on the bike. I prefer not having the tour-pak at all, unless with passenger, which is rare. I rode over to Daytona and picked up a Corbin solo leather seat, which throws me back a couple of inches and is a lot more comfy than that stock P.O.S. seat.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did get the detachable tour-pak kit for my new ‘17. What I learned is that if you do detachable you can’t do stage 2 audio. So I ended up going with stage 2 fairing and saddlebag speakers, so the tour-pak speakers are completely unused.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had it on my 15 Ultra. I didnt like the plate or antenna re-locator. I liked the saddlebag lights though...

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I had it on my 15 Ultra. I didnt like the plate or antenna re-locator. I liked the saddlebag lights though...
I put a stubby antenna on the new location and it is fine for me. Never listen to radio anyway. The plate is fine when I have two up seating on the bike, but does stand out when running a solo seat. The ability to transform the bike does help me from becoming bored with it and trade it for something else.

At some point I might trade both the Road King and Road Glide Ultra in on a Road Glide Special so I can also add and remove the lowers when I want. Then it would be a better year round bike.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This past weekend, I finished installing the detachable Tour Pak. I did not buy the kit that HD sells, but acquired the pieces I needed a little bit at a time.

Over on the other forum, I came across a post in which the author used a piece of clear acrylic to make a support for the wires. I made something similar. Along the forward edge of the acrylic sheet, I drilled a number of holes, then laced some 16 gage black hookup wire through the holes. I use the wire as twist ties, to hold up the connections when the Tour Pak is installed.

I did not use the HD lights for the saddle bags. I didn't want the hassle of needing to disconnect, then reconnect the wires every time I removed the bags (such as checking tire pressure). Instead, I used the new Pro Beam Fillerz from Custom Dynamics. On my '17, they function as run/brake/turn. Boy, are those things bright! (I've just ordered the matching tail light and brake flasher.)

I used this antenna ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2017-AM-FM-Hidden-Antenna-Harley-FAIRING-Touring-Bagger-FAKRA-plug/382239683410?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=44040&meid=53c18b0eab124fe9a62758a5ac43ca34&pid=100011&rk=4&rkt=12&sd=380803487083&itm=382239683410&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850 ) rather than relocating the whip antenna. So far, it seems to be working well. There is only 1 station that I can not get, that I used to. I live quite a ways from the transmitters, so I feel this is acceptable. I have not yet upgraded the stereo with an amp, so I don't know how this antenna will perform then.

The license plate, I'm not real excited about it sticking up in the air with the Tour Pak off, but I'll live with it.

I used my bathroom scale to weigh the Tour Pak (with stuff that I carried inside) and the rack; it came to 55 lbs. I can feel the weight reduction on acceleration. I have not yet tried to pick up the bike from a dropped position to find out how much of an affect it will have.

With the Tour Pak removed, I can now load the bike into the Toy Hauler, without needing to modify the trailer.

Riding without the Tour Pak installed, I miss the storage space, otherwise having it detachable is accomplishing what I wanted to have done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts