Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
I would go with the Custom Dynamics Fillerz, the pro beam are the latest, greatest version, you can order them direct from Custom Dynamics as your turn signals/brake/run light combination.

I think the lights that go on the bags ruin the look. Up here they put exact same shape reflectors as those lights on the RG and SG saddlebags "for safety", even though we have the big fender brake light on all models, ridiculous.

As far as the hardware, I've found that cheaper isn't always better when it comes to that. The HD stuff is engineered for the bike and the aftermarket is sometimes a poor fitting replacement. There are good ones, for sure, but oem is usually better for that purpose and I am the last guy to recommend keeping your bike "all hd equipped".

Calgaryglide

Reactions: Rusty

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I would go with the Custom Dynamics Fillerz, the pro beam are the latest, greatest version, you can order them direct from Custom Dynamics as your turn signals/brake/run light combination.

Calgaryglide
Problem with the Fillerz….they have limited visibility due to being recessed between the fender and bags.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I went through the same dilemma and decided to buy the items separately. I bought the Harley filler lights (they look better to me), bought the license plate bracket that $85 I think and then found the plastic chrome fillers for where the docking hardware would go and that was that. It’s 4 bolts that hold the TP and unplug a few connectors. Its not difficult or timely to put the TP back on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I think the lights that go on the bags ruin the look. Up here they put exact same shape reflectors as those lights on the RG and SG saddlebags "for safety", even though we have the big fender brake light on all models, ridiculous.

As far as the hardware, I've found that cheaper isn't always better when it comes to that. The HD stuff is engineered for the bike and the aftermarket is sometimes a poor fitting replacement. There are good ones, for sure, but oem is usually better for that purpose and I am the last guy to recommend keeping your bike "all hd equipped".

Calgaryglide
The link I provided was for the fillerz. I said tomb stones but meant fillerz. I do know that there is some really good aftermarket and some really shitty stuff. I tend to watch reviews/where it is made to see what others have experienced and just like here I like to get opinions of what people think as well. Here I can have a conversation unlike reviews.

Problem with the Fillerz….they have limited visibility due to being recessed between the fender and bags.
Good point! I had wondered about that but I believe from the rear it is fine. I think it would be more of an issue like changing lanes when people are at a side angle. Hmmm maybe I will look into other options.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went through the same dilemma and decided to buy the items separately. I bought the Harley filler lights (they look better to me), bought the license plate bracket that $85 I think and then found the plastic chrome fillers for where the docking hardware would go and that was that. It’s 4 bolts that hold the TP and unplug a few connectors. Its not difficult or timely to put the TP back on.
If I am reading correctly rather than having the bracket and docking hardware you just unbolt and bolt it in. Then use factory plugs to plug the holes when unbolted? Interesting, I hadn't thought about doing that?

·
Registered
775 Posts
If I am reading correctly rather than having the bracket and docking hardware you just unbolt and bolt it in. Then use factory plugs to plug the holes when unbolted? Interesting, I hadn't thought about doing that?
Yep, 4 bolts and that tp is off. Put the four bolts back in with the filler panel. Some dealers will give you those filler panels from customers who buy the docking hardware or you can find on ebay.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just un-bolting it will be cheaper but the QD rack will make it way easier. I take mine on and off a lot. I can see unbolting and re-bolting being a huge PITA. I really can't see being able to do it alone. Maybe I'm wrong and its easy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably would go the route of unbolting over QD if I planned to primarily ran with or without a TP. However I could see me taking it on and off a lot and that reason I will do the QD. I was almost sold on doing the Harley kit for the $500 bones over the other manufactures. Then realized that the Harley kit is made in Taiwan and after reading the reviews I believe I have found some nice stuff. I did go with the CD fillerz as that is what I really want and honestly I think you can have a flashing billboard on the back of your bike and people still wouldn't see you.

I maybe guinea pigging myself but hey live and learn. I may make a video of the stuff and its install?

Here is my parts list of stuff I ordered..

Tail light to put the tag window down $26

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Specialties-2010-0783-Laydown-Taillight-Lens-with-Bottom-Tag-Window/273633967899?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Docking hardware $30

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-4-Point-Docking-Hardware-Kit-For-Harley-Road-King-Street-Glide-2014-2019/223164533236?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

TP mount I liked this one because it is one piece and not a bolt together. $54

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Up-Tour-Pak-Pack-Mount-Luggage-Rack-For-Harley-Touring-Road-King-2014-2018/222676807701?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Lights $200

https://www.customdynamics.com/fillerz-chrome?cat=377

Light bulb for the laydown lens $20 2 pack

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KZNWTMD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

License Plate relocate bracket $51

https://softbrake.com/product/softbrakes-stainless-steel-license-plate-relocator-2/

Total of $381 so I saved around close to $300. I would have spent $488 on the Harley kit and then $200 on CD lights. I hate the saddle bag lights in the Harley kits.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Alright, maybe I'm missing something here. Is there a law that I'm missing that says once you have a tour pack that you have to have more lights? Or is this just a wish of the OP? I've been thinking about this for several years now, back to my '12, just haven't done it yet. However I was thinking all I'd need is the four point docking hardware, detachable tour pack mounting rack and a tour pack. Something along these lines, of course using any brand components you'd like.

Wade

Reactions: Rusty

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, maybe I'm missing something here. Is there a law that I'm missing that says once you have a tour pack that you have to have more lights?

On the Road Glide Ultra your turn signal is on your tour pack so when you remove it you lose the turn signals. Mot really illegal as you can use hand signals but cops will hassle you. The fillerz panels give those back. I am replacing the tail light lens because the tag is built into the stock TP mount. Harley tag relocate mounts it about the tail light which I don't like so I opted to mount it below the tail light. New lens relocates the tag light. No tag light cops will write a ticket for.

Pic to show how my stock set up is. Yes my garage is a mess..

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
However I was thinking all I'd need is the four point docking hardware, detachable tour pack mounting rack and a tour pack. Something along these lines, of course using any brand components you'd like.
If you are adding a tour pack your blinkers and tag are already on the rear fender so you would be good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bit the bullet and bought the Harley Kit biggest reason for me was/is any issue and my stealer will stand behind it. I did the install my self took couple hours and it looks great. For the peace of mind on my ride it wasnt worth saving pennies when compared to overall cost of bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bit the bullet and bought the Harley Kit biggest reason for me was/is any issue and my stealer will stand behind it. I did the install my self took couple hours and it looks great. For the peace of mind on my ride it wasnt worth saving pennies when compared to overall cost of bike.
Well motivation to go after market wasn't just about saving "pennies". It was the fact I personally don't like Harley's blinker relocation and to buy the aftermarket lights and Harley kit totals about $300 more. I have got all my parts in and I will say they are nice pieces. Actually was a little skeptical so I have no regrets now seeing them in person. The tour pack mount is beefy and all one piece so is the docking hardware. The rest of the pieces the Dealers in my area sell in their own aftermarket section. I just avoided paying dealers markup for the same products.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My local dealer didn't do that - it was a straight one part (kit) from HD and done. In fact the Lights for the Side Bags - I didn't like at all nor were they necessary so I sold them on Ebay.. Put up apic would like to so your custom work - I'll do the same as soon as the snow is gone and I take mine out.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Alright, maybe I'm missing something here. Is there a law that I'm missing that says once you have a tour pack that you have to have more lights? Or is this just a wish of the OP? I've been thinking about this for several years now, back to my '12, just haven't done it yet. However I was thinking all I'd need is the four point docking hardware, detachable tour pack mounting rack and a tour pack. Something along these lines, of course using any brand components you'd like.

Wade

I just put a detachable tourpak in my special. I may add a light. But as of right now I'm not in any hurry. We have the bullet turn signals the Ultra they're on the tourpak. When that's off heonly has a tail light. He'll need to add turn signals.

As far as the mount. I've seen complaints about the rattling because the fitment is not spot on. I went with all HD parts. The tourpack is rock solid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My local dealer didn't do that - it was a straight one part (kit) from HD and done. In fact the Lights for the Side Bags - I didn't like at all nor were they necessary so I sold them on Ebay.. Put up apic would like to so your custom work - I'll do the same as soon as the snow is gone and I take mine out.
Is your bike a custom or an ultra. My bike is an ultra so when tour pack is off all I would have is a brake light. My dealer also offers the HD kit same as your what I was saying is a lot of the stuff I bought to use is offered by the dealer as well. They have full display of Custom Dynamics and Drag Specialties.

As far as the mount. I've seen complaints about the rattling because the fitment is not spot on. I went with all HD parts. The tourpack is rock solid.
We will find our but doesn't seem like that would be to hard of a fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey There High There
Just found this thread.
Bought the HD Kit before I found this.have not installed yet..
I don't like the look of the signal's on the bag either..
Was looking for some insight on ideas and hoping for some pics of available.
I'm new to this so any input is greatly appreciated..
Thank you..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts