Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, purchased some chubby W0502's and with everything I have read on here I was hoping that the stock cables would make it. Seems I was wrong.:mad: Probably due to the slightly wider grip on them.

Anyway, if anyone can show me a way to reroute the stock cables to make them reach I would greatly appreciate it. Did some searching around and while I have seen some configurations, they have been on skinnier setups. If I cant find a way to reroute them I will just grab some +4's and be done with it.

Such is the life of a self modder eh.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
i tried the normal reroute and didn't like it. I bought +4 and ran in the stock place. I only paid 59.00 for the clutch cable at local indy and installed it myself. Perfect fit. I released the cable tie inside the guage nacelle for the brake line and moved the upper cable outside of it. (I have ABS). This is my install and others may have different results......

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response faststan.

I went ahead and ordered both lines today. Tried every configuration I could think of and all of them fell just short of the mark. Even if I could have somehow gotten them on, there wouldn't have been enough slack leftover. Well, I will pull the tank this weekend using a DIY post I saw today and get everything prepped up for the swap Tuesday night.

So word to those that are looking at the Wild1's 12.5" Chubby bars #W0502, the stock clutch and brake lines were too short. Going with +4's to give it plenty of slack. 67" for both I think is what I ordered.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered from a local indy close to my work. I think the clutch is $50 and the brake line is about $39. They are just a black vinyl coated line. Nothing special, just black. I will need to pick up the fittings as well and those run about $10 apiece. Priced out of Fatbook.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
There is a way,.. but my memory is working right now. Im running 15" apes with all stock cables and lines, just rerouted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well hop on that black beast of yours and cruise on over to Wichita and show me. :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
If

Hey Chain, If ya can remember that'd be cool. I'm mod cash poor right now,
but was mulling the WO515's or the WO612's. I had WO502's on my road king and they were great. If there's enough wiring tucked inside the fairing and a re-route of the clutch/brake is doable, then I'd go back to the 502's.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got wiring to spare on the 502's, just working the cables. I had the 14" chubbs on my 05King and loved em. Thats what helped with my decision to go with the 12.5's. I'm going to go out there and mess around a little more with the cables but not going to stress over it.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Wildones are just so damn wide, your probably right in not having enough length. My bars are only like 34" grip to grip.
I can remember I took my tank off and pulled the ABS line till it had no more slack. I also rerouted it to come up between the tank and the triple trees,.. I think stock it goes through triples and in front of the top tree.
The clutch I cut a couple zip ties on the bottom frame rail, and routed it between the exhaust pipe and frame. Then I zip tied it against the frame so it wouldnt slack back and hit the pipe. Has held up fine for 18K miles or so. It also comes up between the tank and the triple trees. Clutch I might of had another 1", but ABS line is tight at full left turn, no extra.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wildones are just so damn wide, your probably right in not having enough length. My bars are only like 34" grip to grip.
I can remember I took my tank off and pulled the ABS line till it had no more slack. I also rerouted it to come up between the tank and the triple trees,.. I think stock it goes through triples and in front of the top tree.
The clutch I cut a couple zip ties on the bottom frame rail, and routed it between the exhaust pipe and frame. Then I zip tied it against the frame so it wouldnt slack back and hit the pipe. Has held up fine for 18K miles or so. It also comes up between the tank and the triple trees. Clutch I might of had another 1", but ABS line is tight at full left turn, no extra.
cahinsaw could u give us a few pics??? that would be awesome

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Well hop on that black beast of yours and cruise on over to Wichita and show me. :D
Im actually heading there in about 5 minutes for the weekend. Not on the bikes though, got a bunch of tools to pickup so we're caging it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
12 inch Chubbys are a little taller and wider than my 11 in Santees so this may or may not help but here's how I ran my clutch cable and it works great.

Through the frame and wire-tied:

Over the front of the crash bar - with another loose-ish wire tie:

Behind the trees and up through the housing:

Clipped to the gauge bezel ... aka, stock.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Cool, thanks for the pic's Phil.

36.5" wide, 9" center, 12" pullback, 42° wrist angle (WO502's).

33.5" wide, 8" center, 8" pullback, 22° wrist angle (WO612's).

I'm thinking with the 4" of pullback and 3" of outside to outside difference, it's not going to work with the stock clutch atleast.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Here is mine,.. between the frame and pipe, going behind the crash bar. Further up its just like HD_Shock pictured.

Excuse the dirtyness,.. new seat came and had to modify the bike.. fiberglass was flying everywhere!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I tried running the clutch that way but even after getting it connected I couldn't turn full lock to the right. Thought about taking my brake line loose and running in front of the fork but lines are on order and will be here tomorrow. I would rather some slack so I can have them positioned out of the way anyway. Following all the great posts on here I have the tank removed, rear pipe off and just waiting on the parts to put it back together. Have a ride planned to Colorado this next weekend so I need to get it back on the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts