Road Glide banner

Diamond Audio

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MightyWhitey 
#1 ·
I have some new decent 8gauge OFC fine strand. I'm using large strand copper 10gauge right now. That I've used with two other smaller amps. Is there enough benefit with a good 600watt amp to pull the tank and replace the 10gauge? The amp is a Diamond Audio micro4V. Thanks

#2 ·
I don't think you'd have to pull the tank. Just use the orginal 10 gauge wire as a fish tape. Attach one end of the new wire to the end of the old wire and pull it through. I'm sure it's easier said than done, but I did something similar when I installed my amp. I just used a coat hanger and fed it through, then used it to pull the wire through. It's much easier than pulling the tank.

#3 ·
I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm willing to bet if someone crunches the numbers there is some electrical advantage to the heavier gauge wire, but I'm also willing to bet it's negligible as far as performance of the amp goes. As long as10 ga meets the specs for the design of the amp I'd leave well enough alone. Sure would suck to drop your tank or fairing and ding the hell out of it for something that probably won't make a difference you can hear going down the road.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Pulling the tank isn't a problem in the least for me. Just wondering if the extra effort was worth the gain. Forgot to mention earlier the amp mfg does suggest 8g. I've got it running on 10g right now and it's awesome. Hard for me to imagine it would work better. Maybe it's better for the amp. I guess I'll re-wire it. Thanks guys.

#8 ·
Forgot to mention earlier the amp mfg does suggest 8g. I've got it running on 10g right now and it's awesome. Hard for me to imagine it would work better. Maybe it's better for the amp. I guess I'll re-wire it. Thanks guys.
I've heard nothing but good things about their sound quality on the other forum. Since they recommend 8 ga probably a good idea to pull it. Could always call them, maybe 8 ga is based on the longer wire runs needed for a car instead of a bike.

#7 ·
Yes they are. I was looking at e diamond and the arc audio. A little less money and a little less height is what swayed me towards the diamond. I'm no expert so I don't know if I made the right choice but it fits where I wanted to put it and it works great. Expensive...well yes but what isn't on a Harley.

#9 ·
I think the biggest gain would be going to the fine strand. It was explained to me the current runs on the outside of the strand, so the more strands, the more current. Honestly, I doubt you will notice any change at all. Your amp will probably run a bit cooler and MIGHT last a bit longer, but I really doubt there will be a noticeable change in sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.