Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive only had this 2018 since Nov 18, 1200 miles, but I either suddenly lost strength in my left wrist, or the clutch lever is harder to pull.

I did about 200 miles today, no slab, all Texas FM's and State highways, all 2 laners west of DFW metroplex. Just a typical ride for me on a nice winter day.
The last couple hours I dreaded seeing a stop sign because the pain in my wrist after about the second downshift. Knowing I had 4 more down and then 5 up to follow really took the fun out of the usual thrill of accelerating from dead stop on these open roads. :surprise:.
Thing is, I didnt notice this on the first 1000 miles, but at my 1K they did the clutch recall repair, is it possible that it changed the position of the friction point and/or the pull tension?
So, Im tracking the AIM Light force, seems like a winner, but the site says not available till March if ordered today. There's alot of planned miles and expected pain between now and March. Any suggestions while I wait for the AIM LF002 to become available?

And curious if anyone else with the clutch recall fix has noticed anything similar in clutch operation.

·
Registered
359 Posts
No, the fix equates to a faulty seal; it is possible that your clutch was one of those affected. The pull of my clutch is very firm, I’m used to it but I started out with cable actuated clutches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Man oh man, AMI must sell a ton of those clutch parts. I had to wait till Feb 8 for min to ship and there're alrady sold out. Must be good!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just installed the AIM gen2. I already had the Oberon adjustable levers on. I don't notice a huge reduction in clutch pull but man I have a friction zone again! I haven't ridden it but about 50 miles though. I'm thinking of reinstalling my Kuryakyn Boss Blades. I liked the look and feel of those before I put the Oberons on for the reduced reach.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
My dealer is charging $459 for Aim lightforce installed while doing recall. Is it worth it?
The AIM Light Force cylinder itself is about $280 so if they are doing it at the time of the recall that should save you on the labor. I am just curious as to what the extra $179 is for? I would expect some extra but that seems a bit much. That sounds like the full cost with labor to me. To answer your question I think the AIM is very much worth installing as the pull is lighter but the best part is the friction zone is much better. See what the extra cost is all about and see if it is justified. It may be but I can't think of what it would be right off hand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. The thing thats hard to take is that I need to spend $280 to return to the clutch feel I had with the old cable setup, back before the "upgrade" MOCO did to go hydraulic.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Take it back to the dealer!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cost of AIM part is $280, $10 shipping & $20 tax. You may be able to knock off the tax. So the the dealer is charging (appx) $150 to install. My dealer charges $140 a hour (I'm in F'd up Cal) I would jump on the $459 offer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My dealer is charging $459 for Aim lightforce installed while doing recall. Is it worth it?
My understanding is that the AIM unit replaces the recalled seal. I could be wrong..... IMO, $459 is a fair deal. Not a smoking deal and not a bend over the bench.....:wink:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Ive only had this 2018 since Nov 18, 1200 miles, but I either suddenly lost strength in my left wrist, or the clutch lever is harder to pull.

I did about 200 miles today, no slab, all Texas FM's and State highways, all 2 laners west of DFW metroplex. Just a typical ride for me on a nice winter day.
The last couple hours I dreaded seeing a stop sign because the pain in my wrist after about the second downshift. Knowing I had 4 more down and then 5 up to follow really took the fun out of the usual thrill of accelerating from dead stop on these open roads. :surprise:.
Thing is, I didnt notice this on the first 1000 miles, but at my 1K they did the clutch recall repair, is it possible that it changed the position of the friction point and/or the pull tension?
So, Im tracking the AIM Light force, seems like a winner, but the site says not available till March if ordered today. There's alot of planned miles and expected pain between now and March. Any suggestions while I wait for the AIM LF002 to become available?

And curious if anyone else with the clutch recall fix has noticed anything similar in clutch operation.

There's only two possibilities: You injured your wrist or somethings wrong with your clutch. Please see a doctor or a dealer ASAP.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,122 Posts
My understanding is that the AIM unit replaces the recalled seal. I could be wrong..... IMO, $459 is a fair deal. Not a smoking deal and not a bend over the bench.....:wink:
You are right; it does replace the recalled seal (and is way better than the factory set-up). If you have any technical ability, you can do the swap yourself. Other than that, I also agree that the quoted price seems okay (maybe an indie might do it for less). I scored, because AIM is in southern Cal and they will do the install for free. Nice folks and a great improvement over the MoCo's stock slave cylinder.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If your wrist is so weak what about getting an autoclutch?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
You are right; it does replace the recalled seal (and is way better than the factory set-up). If you have any technical ability, you can do the swap yourself. Other than that, I also agree that the quoted price seems okay (maybe an indie might do it for less). I scored, because AIM is in southern Cal and they will do the install for free. Nice folks and a great improvement over the MoCo's stock slave cylinder.

This seems like a no brainer, id happily pay the $300 dollars and install this in my garage than take to a dealer to get OEM warranty and wait for it for 3 days.

As long as it really does fix all the problems with the recall, I have not really dug into the clutch recall yet

·
Registered
446 Posts
I didn’t even know there was an issue or anything other then I saw a recall notice and stuff and brought them for something else one day and they said that they were going to do the fix on it but I didn’t feel no change whatsoever the same ole same ole.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
I had the recall done, no difference whatsoever. Two weeks later I installed the AIM, big difference. I think your dealership is ripping you off, IMO if you have the AIM part they should be able to install it instead of the replacement part at no charge. The AIM part is rather simple to install.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got mine from Eastern Performance thanks to another members suggestion. Free shipping and available to ship tomorrow! Mine arrived in a couple days coast to coast even with the slowest shipping option. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

https://www.easternperformance.com/aim-lf001-001-black-light-force-clutch-slave-cylinder-17-19-harley-touring-m8.html?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts