Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While searching for a controller for my stage one set up I came across this informative article for the ever ubiquitous dielectric grease and its proper use,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-542IYGBbpg&feature=youtu.be

Having gone overboard on "sealing" my connectors when I first bought my bike. I inadvertently killed it, or so I thought. I had filled every connector I could find with this stuff, thinking I was sealing out moisture but in fact, I had increased the electrical resistance throughout the system so much, that the ECM could not get proper readings and it shut down the bike! When I took it to the dealer to figure out why the electrical system wasn't working, they hooked it their analyser and the electrical numbers were all over the place. When the figured out what was happening, they cleaned all of the grease out of the connectors (with contact cleaner) and reconnected everything. They then explained that most of the connections now days are sealed against moisture so the grease is not necessary. Like most folks, I thought you could use this stuff on every connection and didn't give any thought on how to use it. I figured if a little was good, more would be better. And why not use it on the pins and connectors as well as the wire entering the connectors. This video explains why not! and it makes it perfectly clear just how to use it. So, keep using the grease, just make sure you use it correctly!

Reactions: FLTRGil

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for posting this informative video. I was one who believed more was better. I'll be making some changes to my way of thinking.:D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this informative video. I was one who believed more was better. I'll be making some changes to my way of thinking.:D
I hear ya Kevin, glad to help.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
My stock signal bulbs had globs of it on. When installing my custom dynamics, instructions said to remove dielectric grease from socket prior to installing LEDs

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
A lot of peeps here going to be out buying contact cleaner after reading this. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting. I never really knew the proper use for that stuff aside from spark plug boots.

I'm curious how you would apply it to other connectors on the bike, or if it's even necessary? I hear of people using it all the time and assumed you just glob that crap on everything.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Good video. Only place I have used it so far is the throttle body connector.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Interesting. I never really knew the proper use for that stuff aside from spark plug boots.

I'm curious how you would apply it to other connectors on the bike, or if it's even necessary? I hear of people using it all the time and assumed you just glob that crap on everything.
I've used it on a few connections , but very sparingly. Next time I'm playing with the bike I might break out the contract cleaner. :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Snow plow connections and trailer plugs for protection from salt. You are metal to metal and you loss is minimal. To much with a loose connection will be trouble.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Snow plow connections and trailer plugs for protection from salt. You are metal to metal and you loss is minimal. To much with a loose connection will be trouble.
+1. Normally, good pin connections should displace the dielectric when the connectors mate giving metal to metal contract, so the grease shouldn't normally be an issue on 12 V connections. Now the digital connections (5V) for data really have to have good connection so grease used there should be used sparingly. With all that said, the grease for the digital and signal lines can still be used on the connector shell to keep water from getting to the contacts.

Also, dielectric grease is a good heat sink. That is why is helps to use it on incandescent headlight and tail light sockets. It helps pull the heat off of the bulb base and that helps increase the life of the bulb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts